Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just bought a new Raptor!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just brought home my new 2002 White Raptor yesterday! I have spent last night and allot of today checking it out. What an awesome quad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I checked out the new Z400, but didn't fall for all the new model hype. I'm sure it is a good quad, but I think most of the fuss is just excitement over a new sport quad on the market. Once the new "Predator" comes out in August, I'm sure you'll here less about the Z400, and allot of fuss about the Predator, that?s just the way it goes.

The Raptor has stood the test of time, proved itself over the last couple years and has been refined. I think it will suit me just fine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I love the way it looks, (the Z400 looks like they copied the Raptor's styling) it is very comfortable, and the build quality and fit and finish are first rate.

Is there anything that I should know as a new Raptor owner before I take it out and put it through its paces? Anything special to the Raptor as far as routine maintenance and care, other than what is in the book? I noticed that the manual refers to routine maintenance by "Months" not hours, have you guy's worked out any better schedule than 1, 3, and 6 months?

Well, I guess that's it for now, just wanted to stick my head in the Yamaha forum door and say hi, and that I love me new Raptor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2002, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Sweet, have fun with the new ride.
Ride safe!

Old 06-20-2002, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

I have a warrior but the "break in" maintianance should be about the same. Change your oil & filter every ten hours about 3-4 times to get all of the metal shavings out from the factory. I also know that your supposed to take it easy on it for about a couple months.
Good look and have fun

Old 06-20-2002, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

This may sound stupid, but I guess I got really spoiled with the instrumentation on the Prairie, as it had an hour meter. But how do you guy's go about determining how many hours you put on your Raptors and Warriors? Do you just look at your watch every time you start it up and shut it down? Or do you just give it your best guess? That hour meter was really nice, no guess work involved. Oh well, I guess it doesn't have to be scientific, just an average idea of how much time you put on it to determine oil changes and air filter cleaning.

Thanks for the info guy's.

Old 06-20-2002, 08:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

area51, get yourself the trailtech computer and handle bar clamp. Or just the computer. It tells you the hours, speed, miles, ride time etc and several other things. Just a thought.

Old 06-20-2002, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, that's definitely a thought, I was just wondering what everyone else does. Also, since there?s no gas gauge, how long/far can you ride on a tank of gas. The tank holds 3.2 gallons right? That includes the .7-gallon reserve, so most importantly; how far/long can you ride to get back on that .7-gallon reserve?

Old 06-20-2002, 10:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I do the guestamate for hours. As for the tank of gas, that depends on where your riding. If your wide open or cruising the mountain trails. You'll get a better guage on how far a tank will go the more you ride it. I wouldn't ride in a strait line away from your camp, truck etc and wait till you hit reserve to turn around. I know thats obviouse. You have 3/4 of a gallon for reserve and that will take you a fair distance. I couldn't tell you an estimated amount of miles per gallon you could expect to get. It will vary. You can feel comfortable to be a fair distance away when switching to reserve and be able to get back. JMO

Old 06-20-2002, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

The two most important thing are the Air filter and oil filter. Clean / change these regularly and you will have years of enjoyment. I always check my air filter and clean every other ride (or every ride if alot of dust) oil filter once a month ( riding every weekend ). Congrats on the new machine. You made a wise investment!!!

Old 06-20-2002, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Stood the test of time?

Wasn't 2001 the first year for the Raptor? And correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen like three people on here wanting Raptor owners to sign their petition to sue Yamaha for their Raptor.

I'm sure it's a great quad, but let's keep the facts in order.

Old 06-20-2002, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Anyway.............
Hey Area, welcome to the club! I'm sure you will enjoy the Machine. I love mine, and you can rest knowing you ride the best. I hope you enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Just bought a new Raptor!