Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine vs Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drag: wolverine with pipe, filter, drilled air box, could it beat a warrior now? Are you SURE a warrior with mudders can beat a wolverine? Sorry, but I doubt that, im probobly wrong. How hard is it to slide the back end on a wolverine? does that mean no doughnuts?

Old 06-22-2002, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

If speed is your biggest concern... your looking at the wrong bikes.
(they are decently quick) You need to just save a little bit more and get a Z400, or Shee, or 400EX.
With a Warrior or Wolv, although they are nice machines, might leave you wanting more power right away.

-Matt

Old 06-22-2002, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

if the warrior goes 60mph, thats fast enough for me. But why get a 400ex if it only goes 5mph faster? add a pipe&filter and it might beat a 400ex! I dont want a shee, i ride in the forest and trails, I REALLY want a 400ex... I probobly will get a 400ex if iv got enough cash, better suspention, handling, power, speed, i want a 400ex [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] but do i have the cash right now? no.

ps i hate z's and cannondales and shee's and blasters.

shee: 2stroke, twin, repair engine every year, sucks in mx and woods.. not what i want/need.

I WANT a 400ex, not a raptor. or a blaster, warrior, shee, wolverine... i want a 400ex.

Old 06-22-2002, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Well, it says that you want a cannon speed.......

anyway, I hate to tell you, but.. the Warrior with a pipe and filter still will not even touch a stock 400EX in Acceleration or top speed.
I know this for a fact. I have owned TWO 400EX's, (and even made one a 440)
I primarly ride with a buddie with a 2001 Warrior.
The warrior is a nice bike and I like riding it.
BUT, it is another class. It weighs 400 lbs and has around 17 HP at the wheels. The stock 400EX weighs 375 lbs and has around 28 HP at the wheels. Clearly a different class of bike. It is even more obvious when you ride them both side by side.

-Matt

Old 06-22-2002, 11:48 PM
wyd
Range Rover

I had a 01 Wolverine for 7 months and I just traded for a new 02 Warrior. They both use the same motor on the tiop end but the bottom end is a little different because of the shaft drive on the Wolverine. The carb on the Warrior is 36mm vs the Wolverine's 34mm.

The Wolverine is a very nice machine. The 4wd system is limited slip (3wd type as many refer to it as). THe ride is semi sporty and is very agile for a 4wd. IT is quick but not a speed demon by any means.

The Warrior is lighter and faster. It trails very well as I just did 55 miles today on it. Climbs hills very well and I have taken up every hill the Wolverine was up. The Warrior just does it all faster. I also like being able to wheelie. I'm still getting use to the clutch since I have not had a street bike in 2 years so I'm still getting better with it.

Overall the Warrior will do almost everything the Wolverine does but faster. In the deep mud with 4wd the Wolverine is better. I also like the fact that I can slide the Warrior around alot more. Both are very nice machines and I have nothing bad to say about either except the stock tires on both punture very easily so I would go with some after market tires.

I also had a WB E Series Pro Meg exhaust on the Wolverine that made it alot better on the low to mid range with a 147.5 main jet. I know have the same exhaust on the Warrior and it to showed great improvements plus I like the cool sound and that the pipe is adjustable plates.

Old 06-23-2002, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

<< and a polaris? are you joking man? lol >>

Marius, back up your statement...why do you say that? You can name three things good about the Polaris for every one thing about the Wolverine as far as features go.

I'm not saying that the Polaris is a better quad for everybody, but I think when it comes to Performance and features it totally beats the Wolverine.

Also, from the sounds of it, you have quite a bit into your Wolvy and it is &quot;close to 60&quot;? Did you realize that is slower than a STOCK Polaris?

<< shee: 2stroke, twin, repair engine every year, sucks in mx and woods.. not what i want/need. >>

copguy, Just so you know you don't have to &quot;repair&quot; a Banshee's engine every year, and you would be suprised at how good they are in the woods. I agree that they aren't the best...but only because it takes a little bit more skill to drive them slowly. As for MX....hmmmmm.....sure they might not be ideal, but remember, the quad you are wanting is a Warrior, you obviously don't have MX in mind.

Also, I agree with everything Mr350X has said.

I know it sounds like I'm bashing the Wolverine so I need to say this....Some quads appeal to some people and others don't. When I first saw a Wolverine many years ago I thought it was great...A sporty 4x4, what a thought! But with today's crop of Sporty 4x4's the only thing it has going for it is the price.

-Josh

Old 06-23-2002, 08:34 AM
Trailblazer

those features dont do you any good when its sitting in the shop all the time,and its pretty sad a 400 2 stroke and 500 4 stroke is just a little bit faster than a 350 4 stroke,besides,thats just in a drag, i would blow them both away in trails,i see you sold the polaris, wonder why?

Old 06-23-2002, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

As far as I'm concerned Polaris doesn't have a reliability issues...yes, I have heard horror stories on here, but I have seen Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis, and Suzukis give their owners nightmares as well. I never had 1 single problem with my Sport. My father owns a Sportsman, and I have friends that own a Magnum, Scrambler, and an old Xpress. Out of all the quads mentioned the Xpress is the only one that has had any problems and that was bearings and a battery. My buddy with the Warrior however, has had a lot of problems.

As far as getting blown away on the trails goes I suppose that is up to the rider. I never had problems keeping up with my buddies on their Warrior, 300ex, and Banshee. I have to admit that it took a bit more effort to keep up with them on the really tight fast trails with lots of bumps. Then when we got back on the back roads or smoother trails I could eat the 300ex and Warrior alive and the Banshee wasn't far in front...just on the roads where we could top out. I don't think I'd have a problem keeping up with a Wolverine. Then if you want to compare 4x4 vs. 4x4 (well in the Wolvy's case 3x4) I think the Polaris is still better.

<< its pretty sad a 400 2 stroke and 500 4 stroke is just a little bit faster than a 350 4 stroke >>

No it's not sad because it isn't just a little bit faster. Stock for Stock a Scrambler would absolutely kill the Warrior or Wolverine in a drag race...I mean KILL it. Top end is where they get a little closer, but that doesn't matter because since the Polaris kills it in a drag race by the time you hit top end it's already way out front and still continues to pull away.

Then when you talk about potential the Polaris wins again. There is so much untapped power in that 400 2-stroke it isn't funny. The MSRP of the 2 wheel drive model is about $1500 less than a Raptor. You can take that $1500 and turn the Scrammy into a 72hp beast that a well modded Banshee or Raptor couldn't touch, not to mention a stock one.

I sold my Sport because I wanted something a little bit faster and lighter. The way I rode was really hard on the Polaris and the weight of it was too hard on me. I loved it in every other aspect...in my opinion it was the Ultimate 2 wheel drive trail quad. Back then I would laugh at them as I went through every obstacle they got stuck on....Now they laugh at me as I get stuck with them.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have the Banshee if I didn't like it...It just appeals to me more than the Polaris. But you give me a choice between a Wolverine, Warrior, or Scrammy and I'd take the Scrambler every time.

Take care.

-Josh

Old 06-23-2002, 02:14 PM
wyd
Range Rover

The bad thing with ALL Polaris machines is they are heavy. I have had 2 and they weigh a ton as compared to some other machines in their class.

I guess it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to know that a Warrior won't be as fast a 2 stroke 400cc. Not even comparing the same thing. It normally takes a 4 stroke to be twice as many cc to make equal power.

I rode my Wolverine and my new 02 Warrior with my friends who all have Scrambler 500's and I keep up just fine and don't have to work near as hard since mine is over 100lbs lighter.

Basically you ride them all and see what you like best since you will be the only one that has to like it, unless someone else is willing to make the payments on the machine for you. I don't think anyone on here is willing to do that but you never know. Being the fastest isn't the only thing that matters but if you are on these websites that is what most care about. Is mine faster that my friends. If you want just plain fast buy a new Cannondale for straight line speed. Fuel injection makes instant throttle response.

Old 06-23-2002, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

I've had both a 96 warrior and a 98 wolverine. The wolverine is a better bike, if you are doing trail riding. There is no way that a warrior can keep up to a wolverine on rough trails. The ground clearance and extra traction are really nice. The wolv will only go about 53-55 mph (checked with a GPS). If you do work to the motor (piston, pipe, cam, air filter and jetting) you'll have more power, but since it is shaft drive, the rev limiter also limits your top speed. With the extra power, I put 25 inch tires on mine, and it would go about 60 mph. It's a great bike, and it is very light for a 4x4. I even used mine in the sand dunes, and it would beat blasters and 300ex's up the bowls. I got to the point where I wanted more top end power, and I ended up getting a 400ex. It's a great trail/dune bike.

Quick Reply: Wolverine vs Warrior