Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine vs Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which would win in a drag? Which is faster, which has better aceleration? I have narrowed these 2 quads down to which I want to buy. 4x4 would be nice, but a warrior thats lighter, better suspention, but im not sure about speed. Sometimes on the trails I ride on theres mud. And I cant figure out if i want a clutch, or a 6-speed. Or racks!... Help me out. im 190lbs, i fool around, try to jump small obstacles and get 1ft of air, ride dirt roads, mostly trails with some mud (but i can avoid the mud). Which is more reliable? What is better, chain or shaft drive? I know chain is lighter, but wouldnt the shaft be better? I cant decide. Help me.

thanks

Old 06-22-2002, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

Well man, they have the same engines in them...I'm not sure if they are tuned the same way or not, but you can probably bet that they are at least equal or the Warrior is tuned more since it is a Sport quad. Then throw in the fact that it weighs a lot less, is 2 wheel drive w/chain and you can bet that it is a fair ammount faster.

My buddy has a Warrior and it is a pretty decent quad...he owned it for less than a year until he was yearning for a Banshee though. That's mainly because myself and the other guy he rides with both have Banshee's and when we get out in the open spaces the Warrior falls a little short. However, it all depends on how you ride and who you ride with....if the other guys you ride with all have similar quads you'll be happy enough with the Warrior. It also depends on your attitude...speed isn't everything to everybody. Another friend of mine chose to buy a 300ex over a 400ex just because he liked the feel of it better...to each his own.

As for performance, the Warrior isn't too bad...it tops out around 60mph and is pretty tourquey down low. It handles alright, but seems a bit long and narrow, and with the 22" tires in back it makes it even more tippy around corners. You could go down to 20" tires, but if you ride trails like we do here in VT they won't cut it. My buddy put 6 ply tires on his Warrior which seem much stiffer than stock so it helped out quite a bit without sacrificing groung clearance.

As for the Wolverine, I've never drive one, but based on what I know about a Warrior I probably wouldn't buy one. Back in it's day it used to be a great sport 4x4, but I think compared to today's line of quads it falls short. If I were in the market for a quad similar to the Wolverine I would skip it and get a Scrambler. Personally I like the Polaris 400 Scrammy because it can be modded to be smoking fast for a little bit of money. Stock for Stock the Polaris 400 and 500 would dust a Wolverine in a drag race and on top end...no doubt about it. Then throw in the fact that have selectable 4x4 or 2x4 and that puts them ahead even more. Myself as well as many other people also consider the auto tranny a big feature. However the Wolverine has the Polaris beat price wise. Yamaha dropped the price of the Wolvy to $5200 this year...that is $800 less than the Polaris 500. The 400 Scrammy used to be cheaper, but they dropped it in '02 so you can only get the 4x4 400 in the "X" model which I believe is around $6000 as well. The Wolverine used to come in at about $5700 which justified the purchase of the Scrambler, but now that they have dropped the price it is hard to because $800 is a lot of money.

Are you shopping new or used? If you are looking used then I continue to support the Polaris (you can get a 4x4 model Polaris cheaper than you can get a Warrior most of the time), but if you are shopping for new, like I said, it's hard to justify the extra $800 to get one.

Good luck.

-Josh

Old 06-22-2002, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

i like my warrior, but i have never riden a wolverine. but i too lust for more speed and want a banshee also. will still keep the warrior for the trails. but in oe form the warrior does fall short, mine has a lot of extras on it and it now handles close to perfect, next project is for it to get the 440 kit which i'm planing on doing this winter. but there are a lot of newer quads out there, i think the new suzuki 400 is only $800.00 more than the warrior. then you would have something that will smoke the warrior and the 400ex. (not the banshee though)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
so pick your ride and have fun no matter what you get

Old 06-22-2002, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

The warrior will win. The engines are the same but have a little different gearing. The biggest power drain is that with the Wolverine you have full time 4wd. The top speed on the Wolverine is in the 50's which is pretty close to the warriors. You cant throw the back end around as easy on a Wolverine either because of the 4wd. You would be surprised with the pep of the Wolverine though, if you can get a ride on both.

Juice

Old 06-22-2002, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

4 stroke tech makes a 490 big bore kit for the warrior too along witht the 435 kit

Old 06-22-2002, 05:55 PM
Range Rover

I have ridden them both, the warrior is faster, although not by much. The wolverine will go as fast as you want it to on the trails, get to a trail were theres mud, well you can tell which one will prevail. A guy I ride with has two warriors swears by them forever, Until He seen my wolverine in action, now he wants one. I am so impressed with it, yeah I wish it was faster maybe a bigger motor, but it works great for what I want. I also have a friend who has a scrambler 500 I keep up with him just fine on trails he begins to take off on open straights, but its not like hes going so fast I cant keep up. I hope this was of some help . I had a choice to buy both I'm glad I picked the wolverine. Just get one that you like and feels right to you, your riding it.

Old 06-22-2002, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

better ground clearance, 4x4, semi auto, clutch, 6 speed, faster, racks, hitch..

If they made a 660 wolvy with 2wd/4wd/lock, 10" suspention, racks, 6 speed, it would probobly be the greatest utility ever. and still under 550lbs.

But, iv decided to go with the warrior. manual clutch, 6 speed, big enough engine, fast enough, good suspention, and people say its an awesome trail machine. Its what I want, now. Or atleast, can afford.

Old 06-22-2002, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer

i have a wolverine and have ridden with warriors,you just have to decide if you want 4 wheel drive or not,high lifter just came out with a unlocker for the wolverine,then the difference would only be some weight and a shaft drive vs chain,they have basiclly the same moter set up,and right now with a few mods to my wolvie it will top out close to 60,with the unlocker i would think with the mods i have,it would reach 65,how many 4x4's under the 600 class can do 60-65?so, it really depends on if you want or need 4x4, and a polaris? are you joking man? lol

Old 06-22-2002, 07:26 PM
Range Rover

I have also riden both machines and can say that the warrior is faster.

I own a 01 warrior and i love it. If you want a rack you can order an aftermarket one for around $86 or if you go to rockymountainatv.com for around $69 front and rear.

i bought a rear rack and it is pretty sturdy and it allows you to do some work.

as for the 4x4 capabilities, put a set of mudders on the back of the warrior, kneel on the back seat and you will blow by the slow 4x4's with no problem.

And if you do get stuck all you have to do is jump off and give is a little push.

Old 06-22-2002, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

I was aiming for a 400ex but its quite high price for me, so i think ill do what you say perrya, ill order a front or rear rack, and put a set of mudders on the back, and for snow, ill put skies on the front [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

But I dunno... a warrior with mudders beating a wolverine? Speed is just about all i care about, so how fast does the warrior go? im guessing 60mph, with a pipe and filter and drilled holes in air box, how fast now?

What pipe should I get?

Quick Reply: Wolverine vs Warrior