Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine vs Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 07:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes on the trails I ride on theres mud. And I cant figure out if i want a clutch, or a 6-speed. Or racks!... Help me out.

ok copguy,

take a warrior, put a front or/and a rear rack on it and some more aggressive tires.

Then you will have something in between a wolverine and a warrior.

Old 06-24-2002, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

"a clutch, a 6 speed, or racks"

Just so you know for sure.....
The Warrior has a 6 speed trans, manual clutch.
the Wolv. has a 5 speed, AUTO clutch.

Old 06-24-2002, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

i have ridden both on many occasions, the warrior is faster in accel and it beats it by about 5 or 10 mph in top speed. since the wolverine is 4wd its turning radius is smaller but the front shocks on the wolvy are a lot softer, at least it seems to me. But you only really need 50mph on a trail if youre into 4X4ing and the wolvy has decent power but its all into what you want and where you are riding, good luck with whatever you get,

warrior350megamax

Old 06-25-2002, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

If speed is you only concern get the Warrior.
If you want a do it all quad get the Wolverine.
I have a friend with a Warrior I ride with a lot.
His is some faster but not a lot. I can go a lot of places he cant and mine is a lot more fun of the winter.

Old 06-25-2002, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

hey chad 400ex,
I didnt even read what everyone else posted cause I have raced a wolverine in a harescramble race and a dirt drags, and i have owned a warrior in the past. me personally i would pick the wolverine cause its proven to me to be more reliable than the warrior as far as the woods concern, also when i raced the wolverine there wasnt anyon with enough intestinal fortitude to bring a warrior to the track, lemme take that back there was one person but he didnt race he took it out to the woods and watched everyone else. Me personally i love a wolverine cause it is considered a sport quad and it has 4x4 for when you are needing the utility purposes. a stock warrior dont run much faster than a stock wolverine anyway

Old 06-25-2002, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Yep,

I raced my Wolverine in a harescramble and I did quite a few poker runs. I was passing banshees, 250r's, 400ex's, Warriors, etc...all the time, becuase they've got no ground clearance. I had that Wolverine for 4 years, and never had a single problem with it, other than a dead battery. It's a great bike.

Old 06-25-2002, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

a stock warrior tops off at 60. To make it go faster, change the sprocket. Now i know everyone is going to say that that will hurt the acceleration...but you could just upgrade the air filter and get a nice exhaust system to compensate for the more diffucult gearing ratio. That way it will accelerate at about the same speed, but will go faster. Thats what im about to do. All i have on mine now is a K&n but im taking it in this week to be worked on. I like the warrior cause it sporty but still great for trails.

Old 06-25-2002, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer

<<That is a long time to be riding the brakes, especially with the STUPID one lever does everything braking system that Polaris has>>

Polaris quads have a rear only brake lever on the right floor board just like other bikes so you don't have to be breaking at all four wheels all the time. You ride a scrammy 3TV and should be honest and not mislead people to believe they only have one brake lever.

Old 06-25-2002, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

But his point is that you cannot get hard on the FRONT brakes without the rears squeezin when you dont want them too.

Example: Going down a STEEEEEEP trail... you need to be on those front brakes hard. Gettin ON them hard also locks up the rear tires... and can cause the rear end to do bad things. Sometimes you need to really lay on the front brakes.. and no rear.

Old 06-25-2002, 05:43 PM
Range Rover

As far as the Scrambler vs. Wolverine debate goes, I'll put in my opinion since I recently sold my 1995 Wolverine and bought a 1999 Polaris Scrambler 4x4. First, these are just my thought based on what suits my needs. The Wolverine is a very good quad, but it is way underpowered. Yamaha either needs to bring up the power on it or make the 4wd selectable. The Scrambler outshines it in power on low, mid, and top. I'm comparing a bone stock Scrambler to a Wolverine with FMF pipe, K&N, and jet kit. I know I'm comparing a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke, but I've ridden 4 stroke Scramblers and they seem to have just as much power as the 2 stroke. The Wolverine rides over rocky terrain alot nicer than the Scrambler. It does not handle as well as the Scrambler. It's supposed to be lighter than the Scrambler, but I think Yamaha may fuge the dry weight a little. I cannot pick the Wolverine up in the front and can barely lift the rear off the ground. The Scrambler is easier to lift the front and rear up. Whether the Scrambler is actually lighter or just balanced better, I don't know. When talking Polaris, I always hear the reliability issue come up that someone heard Polaris are junk from a friend of a friend. I've heard the same thing from my friends. But, they don't own one or do they know anyone who does. I think Polaris may have had some problems when starting out, but anything built in the last 5 years seems to be as reliable as any other machine out there. Just look at how many messages are posted under each brand on this forum. Yamaha and Honda are first and second and Polaris is a close third compared to the other brands. If this many people own them, they can't be too bad of a machine. Anyway, I loved my Yamaha, but for me, it didn't have enough power. I wanted a sport quad that had a simple 4WD system just in case I need it and that's exactly what I got. So give Polaris a look, they just may surprise you, I know they surprised me.

Quick Reply: Wolverine vs Warrior