Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Questions about LT500.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking into buying an LT500 or LT500R or Quadzilla or whatever the he\\ they're called. I found one in good condition for 2500!! And this ONE for 3500.

Do they have any regular daily problems??

How often do they need a new top end?

Is 32:1 a good ratio for them?

Golden Spectro good pre-mix oil?

And last is this bike OK for a beginner,but has a good bit of experience with quads??

Please dont flame me because of how ignorant these questions are. Take into consideration I'm just trying to get info.

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 06-23-2002, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

Thrust

What I have been told from my friend that LT500 have head problem due to 4 studs bolt. They tend to have motor problem like gasket leak. Then they made to 5 studs bolt that took care of the gasket leak. That what I been told about that.
For the price I have no idea what thet run for today.

So if I were you to make sure about the studs bolt. Talk to other peoples who have LT 500 and they will be glad to help you out.

Bill

Old 06-23-2002, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

I had one. I wouldn't do it again. If you're after this size of a machine, get a DS650 instead.

Old 06-23-2002, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

Thrust and desracers,

The 87 was the only model with the 4 stud head, I believe.

Regular problem? Not anymore then any other 2-stroke except there were some problems with the main bearings (not sure it was the main bearings or some other, it's been a long time)

New top-end? Again, not anymore then any other 2-stroke, as long as you don't run it lean and or over heat it.

Regarding your 32:1 ratio: I am not going to say if you should or not, but the manual calls for a different ratio.

Sure Golden Spectro will work just fine, but once you pick an oil, stick with it or you may have to change your jetting.

For a beginner? I would say no, but I don't know what your skill level is. That is a call you need to make.

Last, regarding price: An average LT500 around here goes for 2500 and "I" wouldn't pay more then that for an 87 or 88 stock. For an 88, 89 or 90 with a pipe and reeds, I see them go for anywhere from $3000 - 4200. It all depend on the shape or condition, when the piston and rings were changed last, if the head is on it's last bore or what bore, clutch was changed, bearings and seals for swing arm/linkage/a-arms/etc, etc. Ask questions about what has been replaced and ask for proof with reciepts. Also, look over the frame very carefully, you don't want to buy a quad, get it home, ride it and find out the frame is cracked!

A Quadzilla is a very fast quad for a beginner ro anybody for that matter. You might ask to ride it before you even consider thinking of buying one, you might find it too fast or just alot of fun.

Good luck,
Swy

Old 06-23-2002, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider

ScottD. He is a 13 y/o kid who is looking at spending 2500 on a quad.
Think he can afford a DS? deff. no.

Thrust. I posted this in another thread and just copied it and ill paist it here.

About the Zilla,
the 87's had a 6 stud head. They tended to blow head gaskets frequently.
Some people with 87's say that they have never had the problem.
I just assume that those people make sure those head nuts stay tight.
EDIT) The 88' + had an updated 7 stud head.

The other Zilla problem....
EVERY Zilla from the factory has something bad coming.
The metal that the main bearings sit in is too weak for the big motor.
Over time, (mine took 14 years..lol) the main bearings will wear away at that metal, and eventually it will be egg shaped around the bearings.
You will have noise, crank wobble and main seal failure. (Causing extreme LEAN conditions, and siezure)
You must make sure that any Zilla you buy has had the fix performed.
Any good shop that knows Zilla motors can perform the fix.
They machine out the main bearing area, and insert a brass piece that the main bearings sit in. These inserts cannot wear like the cases did.
It is a one time, permanent fix.

If a Zilla you get has not had the fix, you will need to. (eventually)
I had Tudors Performance rebuild my motor recently.
They did it all. Port, polish, head mod, new piston kit, re-bore/hone, new main bearings, and the fix, cleaned everything internal, cleaned and painted my cylinder for 980.00 out the door. NOT BAD!!

She runs like a bad out of hell man!!!

Anyway, Zillas are good reliable bikes. BUT, you have to take good care of them. Take care of it, and it will return the favor.

PS. Thrust... Zilla is probably the worst beginner bike you can have.
No, it IS the worst. I have been riding for quite some time now.
My Zilla (even though its ported and such) scares me sometimes.
When I nail it in 4th gear, it just usually spins like the devil.
BUT, when it is spinning the rear tires like crazy at 50-60MPH and finds good traction, it PULLS unexpectedly and could yank the bars out of the hands of a 13 y/o so quickly.
Its your call. Its fun as hell, but I think your better off finding a cheaper Honda 250X or something like that dude.

Old 06-23-2002, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

I think everyone has covered the main probs but easily fixed. I dont know why so many people think that the zilla is sooo unreliable mine has never let me down EVER. So if you do get a zilla remember it is only as reliable as the rider who rides it. And like with any two stroke machine it needs the top end rebuild every so often depending on how much you ride. Good luck on your decision whether you get the zilla or not. But I wouldnt reccomend it for a beginner but if you think your skill level is on par with the zilla I wouldnt pass it up. I paid $3000 for my completely stock 1990 LT500R.

Old 06-23-2002, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

A 13 year old kid on a Zilla? I gotta question the sanity of that. Whatever.

Old 06-23-2002, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

My point exactly

Old 06-23-2002, 05:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

All I need in life, to complete my state of zen, is a Zilla. One day, hopefully not too far in the near future, I will have one - fully tweeked and pimped out - and it will see nothing but sand, because this is what I will set it up for. Then, and only then, will my world be complete. Thanks for letting me share that.

Old 06-23-2002, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Welp, Mr350X nailed the more common problems on the right on the head, and to your dismay, Thrust, I too will hafta say this probably isn't what you really want for an "experianced beginners" quad.........Even if you can handle the power and mass of the Zilla, you still would want to know a good deal about maintainance.......

I read somewhere (in Dirtwheels I believe) that the less oil to fuel ratio you have the cooler the engine runs because the fuel cools the piston, not the oil, (now don't go out and add a cap full of oil to a 5 gallon can of gas) but, yeah, 32:1 will work just fine. I myself use Klotz, but I guess it depends on which jug looks better to you, because they're all good oils........

If you absolutley think you need one, probably the one for $2500 would be the way to go if it looks as clean as the other and is a different year. The only reason I say that is because the one in the pic is an 87 (look at the upper A-arms) and if nothing has been done to cure the head gasket problem, you'll probably spend more time trying to replace head gaskets than actually riding it.......I know when I was 13 I wanted to ride the crap out of my Uncle's Trailboss 250, not wait for him to fix the damage I caused to it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Questions about LT500.