Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Superwinch ATV2000 With Cabelas Mount Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2000, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finally got my winch mounted. I thought I would pass along some tips to anyone else thinking of installing the Superwinch ATV2000 or T1500 winch with the Cabelas Mounting Kit for the 2000 Kodiak.
The instructions included with the Mount Kit will get you by, But they could be improved on!

- The directions tell you to mount the winch with the cable coming off the top of the drum. The Winch Manual says to install it only with the cable coming off the bottom. This is because the cable can loop around the winch and well you can imagine the devistation that would cause! With the directions below, that can be avoided.

- Before mounting the winch to the plate, Reverse the cable tensioner so it is on the front of the winch as opposed to the rear. You may also want to bend it in a vise so it will give you more tension on the drum. This will keep the cable from looping around the winch.

- I encased the wiring from the winch in High-Temp, High abrasion resistant wrap. I don't really know what it is called, but it is like spiral wrap(not split loom. I took off the hood and then routed that wire along the middle bumper support and up the frame rails to the space under the instrument center then on up the handlebars.

- For the wiring from the battery, remove the bracket from the circuit breaker. You will be using the first little hole from the big one, so cut off the rest.

- Take off the right side panel. I wrapped my wiring harness with tape before routing along the stock wiring harenss using the stock wire ties. I passed the spot where the wire goes up by the fuel tank and continued to the next tie wrap. There I tied wrapped the cable to the frame support opposite the radiator hose, and ran it up to the handle bars.
The rest is just making the connections and following the directions in the Manual

Hope this helps!