Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 2002 or 2003?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in buying a new Grizzly. I have heard a lot about problems with the 2002 model. Should I wait to get a 2003 and hope they have the bugs worked out? Has Yamaha acknowledged the problems?

Old 06-26-2002, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

what problems are you talking about? I haven't heard of to many problem.
From what I have gathered the 660 is one of the better first year model bikes to come out.

Old 06-26-2002, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is a lot of discussion of weak floorboards that have been replaced. There is a lot of discussion of boiling gas and vaporlock. Machine rides well...just concerned about the gas issues as well as other unseen problems typical with 1st year designs.

Old 06-26-2002, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

Wait until the '03 come and then watch the prices. Over at HL and another board I think just about every problem has a way to fix it, as long as you are willing to work on it a little. I was deciding what to do but the '03 in camo. is perferct for duck hunting.

Old 06-26-2002, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

You might as well get a 2002, they are the same with exception of the graphics, and are $100 less.

Old 06-26-2002, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I read all the compliants and problems... That didnt keep me from buying a Griz. Every first year new item will have some shake out issues, doesnt matter what it is. I havent experianced any problems with mine.

Old 06-27-2002, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

I will be flat out honest with you about the problems....

1. Weak floorboards.
2. Overheating of the gas (carb/tank).
3. Crappy tires (almost all makes and models though)
4. THE LIMITERS!
5. Could go a little deeper without getting water into the tranny.

The floorboards are being fixed by the dealers IF you demand it and they personally call Yamaha. I have two and both are being covered FREE. The overheating is an easy fix (heat tape/vent holes in sidepanels). The tires, well you are going to get bad tires with anything that you buy IMO. The limiters are an easy, cheap fix from others that have done it and there are step by step instructions in SILVERBEARS signature line (his website). As far as the depth of water, well you can snorkle it, or just not go over the darn fenders in water.

Would i buy another Grizzly? HELL YES! Out of every bike in the big bores, i still think the grizzly suites my needs the best.

MAKE SURE that your dealer is good. That is about the best advise that i could give. Even if it is a (cough cough) polaris [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jonathan

Old 06-27-2002, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Scooterscott~

Only diff between the 03 & the 02's that are out now is the price & graphic. I think even the later 02's are coming out with the 03 pegs.

Only problems I've had w/mine is the front left CV and floor board supports (pegs)..both fixed under warrenty, and both addressed in the later 02's & 03's.

Great machine, would buy it again, and again, and again...

SilverBear

Old 06-27-2002, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer

Frogman28, you can go all the way up to the rear rack before getting water on your belt. How much deeper do you need to go???

Old 06-27-2002, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

<< I read all the compliants and problems... That didnt keep me from buying a Griz. Every first year new item will have some shake out issues, doesnt matter what it is. I havent experianced any problems with mine. >>

same here.. I wasn't even fazed by all the probs... I wanted a Grizz and I got one! I couldn't wait! that yamaha special financing was TOO good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

after about 10 hrs of riding, no problems yet. Sputtered on me once, but it was upper 90's and we had been doing some SLOW &quot;making a new trail&quot; riding.. low range 5mph or less etc. After I got it up to speed, no problems

Quick Reply: Grizzly 2002 or 2003?