Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Questions for the MX racers???

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

I think I'm going to try racing a couple races with my Banshee this year and if I like it I might go out and get another quad to race with.

However, I do want to put a little bit into the Banshee so I'm not totally blown away. Suspension work is too expensive and if I'm only going to race a couple of races it doesn't make sense to touch it.

Extended axles and a-arms are also expensive so I'd rather stay away from them too.

How about wheel spacers? I have never looked into spacers for a quad....how much additional width can you get with those?

Also, any other budget ideas that I could do to it?

I know I sound cheap, but like I said, I just want to try it out and then probably get a new quad next year. I don't think that the Banshee is ideal for that sort of stuff. I have to just see how I like it to justify a new ride.

Take care.

-Josh

Old 06-26-2002, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer

Piranha
I have wheel spacers a my raptor and can't say enough about how much I love them. 2 1/2 on rear 1 1/2 front. As far as other mods I don't know other than exhaust,carb. jetting and ign. Don't really know what you are wanting more power or better handling.

Old 06-27-2002, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

I have never owned a SHEE, but raced one in a MX race and it was same situation as yours, just piped. I would highly suggest, K&N Filters and a steering stabilizer. No matter what quad, a stabilizer is always a good idea. Also take some time and make sure you have the jetting right.

Old 06-27-2002, 11:24 AM
Range Rover

Please explan this to me not trying to offendi have been riding and racing for 5 years i can hold my own i got two nice quads but i'm not a pro rider, but your asking a question like that and under your name it says pro rider? like i said i'm not trying to offend just don't understand. anyway i would not do any race a few times see what you like and what you don't like make a call from there

Old 06-27-2002, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

That just changes automatically after you post a certain amount of times.

Mine says Pro Rider and I just race intermediate at the local level. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2002, 11:40 AM
Range Rover

sorry just read the hhole "ranking" thing my bad

Old 06-27-2002, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Oh, I almost forgot. Can't you get more width in the back by flipping the back wheels around? Also, you can flip the front wheels around but for the front, you'll have to take the tires off, pull out the valve stem and put a new one in backwards (where the stem would be inside the tire) and then redrill the wheel and put a new valve stem in. On the Ex's, it adds like 2 inches to each side.

Old 06-27-2002, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer

sell your polaris to modify your shee...

Old 06-27-2002, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

Well my previous post must have got deleted because in the last sentance I asked if anybody was selling wheel spacers...I apologize for that, it slipped.

Anyway it was a long message which basically said thanks to everybody who responded.

YoDaddy, I had flipped the front wheels around on another quad I owned, and a friend of mine flipped them on his Banshee...It seems to me that it may weaken the wheel though since the offset is different and just the way the weight would be might cause more stress...anyway I have no clue. Does anybody else run this setup?

That brings me to one of the next things I said that got deleted (or so it seems) and I asked if anybody knew any wheel spacers cheaper than the Durablu spacers, or if they new the cheapest place to get them.

As I said, I don't plan on racing the Banshee more than a few races, so I just wanted to get it setup mildly so I could compete in the novice class and hopefully not get smoked by everyone.

MadBaja, how much does one of those steering stabilizers cost? I have a UNI filter on it right now and it seems to be jetted perfectly for the elevation that I'm at....I believe the track elevations are similar.

Thanks again everybody.

-Josh

Old 06-27-2002, 04:16 PM
efg
Pro Rider

I run offset 300ex rims on the front of my 250r its awesome I adds like 1 1/2 inches to each side,Ive never had problems of any thing being weakened.I am also thinking a bout wheel spacer to my rear wheels are they any good?

Quick Reply: Questions for the MX racers???