Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

"400ex smokes raptor from low-mid"

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well your friend is sorta right,but is blowing smoke up your **** about the more "useable power" thing. I thought all power was useable in some way. Hehe the more the better. But,even though I think bigger is better,I will be getting a 400EX when I get the money. Not because its a Honda,or because its slow. Because it suits my needs. It handles great,its plenty fast for me,and its reliable(its just the truth). Not that a Yammy isn't reliable,but the 01 raptor problem didn't give people much faith in yamaha anymore.

I know I probably wont win any drag races against raptors or banshees.
But,I WILL smoke a few on the trails,and some,but not all on the track.

I may sound ignorant but,how does liquid cooling effect performance? Does it cool more effectively,so it increases performance?

Buy the quad that suits you,not the fastest.

Old 07-02-2002, 12:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Copguy,i was in yoru position once. I rode teh Raptor, 400ex, and the Z400 abd teh Raptor wooped em both. after awhile u do have to adjust teh valves but i didnt, my friend did just cuz how he rides. The raptor wheelies and cat walks in any in 4th and 5th u just pop the clutch and BAM! yur up. the EX in 3rd gear i had to pull the handle bars up to get it off teh ground. the Z was alot like the Raptor but not as fun. the Raptor is a lil tippy but if u deaccelerate enough going into the turn and accelerate liek crazy coming out u wont tip but only if u fly into a sharpe turn will u flip...i learned by doing that already, but i did it on snow and i tried on dirt and i actually kept it under better control from flip on tight turns just becuz of more traction and faster reactions frlom not being COLD! trust me ive riding in both weathers! freezing cold and HOT... so frlom tempuratures of -30 degrees to 80....i live in Alaska and u couildnt go wrong with teh RAPTOR!!!! trust dude buy teh RAPTOR nothin will keep up with u on TRAILS but on a track its all about your own driving!

Old 07-02-2002, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah and the Raptor can spin the rear wheels so fast it starts hovering above the ground if you pin it in 1st gear.

I never knew Raptors owners were like I WHOOP ALL!

<< I rode teh Raptor, 400ex, and the Z400 abd teh
Raptor wooped em both.
>>

The raptor and Z400 are very close. Neither one &quot;woops&quot; the other.

There are sooo many spelling errors in his post its not even funny.

Old 07-02-2002, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

LOL you must be joking the Z is fast but to say that the raptor won't &quot;woop&quot; it is just plain crazy. I own both bikes and the Raptor will pull the Z anytime anywhere. Thats not to say the Z isn't a fast fun bike to ride though.

Old 07-02-2002, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

TheRaptorMan,
So how does the Z do against the Raptor? Does it hold it's own through the 1st 3 or 4 gears or it is all over from the start? Are both of your machines stock? How do feel the handling is when comparing the 2?

Why would anyone by an EX in place of the Z??? They are the SAME PRICE and the Z is a much better machine. I don't get it.

Old 07-02-2002, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

The Z deffinantly does respecfully vs a 660 considering its giving up 260cc. The Z gets pulled slightly on the initial take off and through the rev. of 1st. Once the machines hit second it only gets worse for the Z Its a constant pull between the two machines untill they hit 5th at which point the Z is geared a little higher and if you would run about a 3 mile race I beleive the Z would eventually catch back up. LOL

Both of these machines were stock when we ran them. I have since put a 12 tooth gear on the front of my Raptor (added to the lead you build up on take off vs Z). So I am giving up a lot on top end to the Z now, but this makes trail riding much more enjoyable on the Raptor now. Also makes it where you can back up without having to slip the living Sh#t out of the clutch.

As for handing I will say this you have to ride the Raptor and get used to it. Where when you sit on the Z you just feel like part of the machine they handle excelent, but so does the Raptor once you get used to the way the machine responds. Hell in fact me and my Raptor went for a ride over the hill yesterday evening It rolled a few times I rolled a few times and the bike ended up with the least dammage, but most of the problems with the raptors handling comes down to controling the power and speed of the Darn thing. (anyway I'm off subject)

As for why someone would buy an EX over a Z I have no Idea unless they live in BFE and have no Idea that Suzuki has released this awsome peice of machinery. I don't honestly see how even the most dedicated Honda fans would buy an EX over a Z.

Old 07-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Trailblazer

I can't believe that a Z400 will handle as well as an EX.

A friend of mine got his Quadrunner 250 stolen and just bought a Z400. I haven't ridden it yet but sitting on it gave me the impression that it was just as high and tippy as the Raptor before I spent some cash. The 400ex that got stolen at the same time didn't feel that way.

The funny thing is that the day after he bought the Z400 they busted the people who ripped off both Quads.....hopefully they will meet Bubba and Hank....their new sleeping pals.

Old 07-02-2002, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Last1left,

Liquid cooling helps keep the engine parts at a more constant temperature. This means that closer tolerances can be kept between parts, as they won't expand and contract as much due to their temperature. The result is an engine that loses less power to gaps between parts.

Also, liquid cooling helps keep the temperature lower as a whole, which means that a liquid-cooled engine can be revved higher than an air-cooled engine, because the additional heat will be carried off more efficiently with the coolant. And we all know what higher revs mean... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2002, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I drove alot of raptors before i got my 400ex, I had a choice and i couldn't have been happier with my choice. I go to the track pretty well every weekend, and while my buddies and i are hitting jumps on our 400exs, the raptors just sit and watch. The 400s are bullet proof, I have landed jumps with no damage to my 400ex where as a raptor would have bent an axle, and maybe broke a few other things.
The 400 DOES have better low end. I think you people that say it doesn't are getting higher gearing and low end power mixed up. Most of the time when you have too much low end you gear higher to take advantage of that power. Thats why the raptor only has 13/38 gearing (i think) and the 400 has 15/38. Thats because the 400 can pull higher gearing without being bogged down.
Personally who the hell cares about drag racing because the top end diffrence between the two isn't really that great anyways considering the displacment diffrence between the two.
One of the guys i ride with started on a 400ex , then when the raptor came out he thought &quot;wow that things gotta be awesome&quot; so he sold his 400 and bought one. He had it for 2 months then sold it to buy another 400.
The past weekend i did get a chance to put in some seat time on a raptor, I noticed the suspention isn't near as plush as the 400's in any situation especially on braking bumps.
The first 400 i ever drove was a 2001 that wasn't broken in right, the vavles were out of adjustment and it had 22&quot; bearclaws on it. The thing was a slug, i used to roost over him with my 300.
Then i had the chance to ride a piped/jetted/well broke in and maintained 400 with smaller tires, WOW what a diffrence, totally diffrent bike, this bike could pull the front end up in almost every gear, even with 16/38 gearing it pulled ALOT harder than my 300.
Raptors aren't bad machine i just think yamaha should have put a little more thought into their handling low end , suspention and width when they made them because not everyone wants or needs a bike that can only go fast in a straight line.

Old 07-02-2002, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer

Hold on....you need to do a little math before making a statement like that. I think the EX is geared lower in all but 5th gear.

Take the sprocket ratio and multiply it by each gear ratio to come up with the final drive ratio. (the number of times the motor turns for each revolution of the tires)

Raptor 13/40 - 3.08
1st 2.428 = 7.472527473
2nd 1.526 = 4.696356275
3rd 1.238 = 3.80952381
4th 1.047 = 3.223443223
5th 0.904 = 2.783882784

EX 15/38 - 2.53333
1st 2.971 = 7.526533333
2nd 1.938 = 4.9096
3rd 1.471 = 3.726533333
4th 1.182 = 2.9944
5th 1.000 = 2.533333333

I doubt you will find any dyno that rates the EX ahead of the Raptor at any rpm (torque or HP). Now on the MX track the lighter more nimble stock EX may work better. But spend some money on the raptor and that advantage disappears quickly.

Quick Reply: "400ex smokes raptor from low-mid"