Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

"400ex smokes raptor from low-mid"

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Copguy,
I dont' know about your which is faster question on the utility quads. Just wanted to clarify with you: If you buy a Z400, 400EX, or Raptor you WILL PERIODICALLY HAVE TO ADJUST THE VALVES! They are all 4 stroke machines and need to have this procedure performed in order to maintain peak performance. Don't think that becuause you buy a 400EX, Z, etc. you won't have to adjust the valves because you will. That or a dealer can do it for you.

It is not that hard to do. Basically, there is an adjustment on the rocker arm that you need to simply measure with a feeler gauge and set to spec. Adjustments are performed with a special wrench from motion pro, yamaha, or simply a pair of needle nose pliers. Then you just tighten up the locknut and you're off. It is not a difficult procedure, but the first time it may take a while while you get used to it. Don't even let this be a factor in your choice, as it is REQUIRED MAINTENANCE on all 4 stroke machines.

I feel bad for you! I can tell you are having a hard time with this decision. But what a great decision it is to make! Good luck, and you really can't go wrong with any of the machines. I'm partial to the Raptor (I love mine and perform all my own maintenance) but any of them will make you happy. Don't sweat it, buy the one you like and have fun!!