Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

"400ex smokes raptor from low-mid"

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this true? Somebody told me the 400ex smokes a raptor from low-mid.

Old 06-27-2002, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

Did that person happen to own a 400EX? I'll bet. And I'll bet he wishes he bought a Raptor so he doesn't have to say stupid stuff like that. The 400EX has about 25 to 27 horsepower. The Raptor has between 35 and 37. That's without any mods, and its pretty corked up from the factory. I ride with 2 buddies with 400EX's one stock, the other with pipe, jets and K&N. Neither are even close to the Raptor anywhere, much less low-mid. The 400EX is a good quad though and it hangs amazingly well and it not as slow as everyone says. As far as it being in the Raptor's league, tell your buddy to go ahead and drag race a Raptor and he'll find out for himself.

Matt

Old 06-27-2002, 04:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Slappie? hehehehehehe! thats a funny name![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Biggerisbetter.

Old 06-27-2002, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't say "smokes", however, my buddies '00 piped and jetted 400ex feels a lot stronger on the low end than my buddies '02 Raptor. Once hit the top of 2nd, going into 3rd, the Raptor pulls hard. The 400 sure seems to have more low end, though, in all 3 of our opinions. I would say from mid on up, the Raptor certainly has it. Granted, the Raptor is completely stock at this point in time.

Old 06-27-2002, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

He also said the raptor had lower gearing than the 400ex, and that it was low geared because of the crappy low end, and yamaha was just trying to compensate. He said the 400ex was 100x better because of gearing, lightweight, handling, reliability, better trail and mxer, better low-mid power, plusher suspention. Is this true, or should I get a raptor?

Old 06-27-2002, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, the Raptor has a considerable more PEAK hp. However, torque figures are what is going to matter most on the low end. I would imagine on the low end the torque figures with a piped and jetted 400ex and stock Raptor (that's all I have to compare to) are closer than you may think. I'm talking strictly on the LOW END. Low end power is not what you are using when drag racing anyway. You come out of the hole, revved up and pinned, this is not low end power. The Raptor will spank the 400 in a drag no doubt about that.

Old 06-27-2002, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Which is more fun? Its the tuffest decision iv ever made... Do I like the 400ex or the raptor?

Raptor: more power, reverse, liquid cooled, 5 valve head.

400ex: handling, better low end, more reliable (but its not like the raptor breakes down every second) this guy said better suspention too.

Old 06-27-2002, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

You may want to look real closely at the Suzi Z400.

Old 06-27-2002, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Man, I'd love to ride that freak 400 that pulls harder than a Raptor on the low end! Seriously, there must be something wrong with your buddies' Raptor if the 400 feels stronger. Copguy, if you barely hit the throttle on the Raptor, it will lift the front end from a standstill. If you nail it in first from a stop, it will flip over backwards. The Raptor is known for its incredible low end torque as well as its mid and high. True, the 400 is a better handler because the Raptor sits high and is a little tippy. But stability is only an axle change away. You can mod the Raptor to handle better, or mod the 400 to have more power, but in the end the 400 doesn't handle better enough than the Raptor to make up for everything else that the Raptor does better. As you can tell, I own a Raptor, and love it. If you race MX, you should probably get the 400 as I hear that it loves the track. But for trail riding, dunes, and everything else, the Raptor is the one for most of us on this forum. I am sorry if I sound a little ticked off. It just gets me when people try to compare the 400 and Raptor power wise. Ride a Raptor and then ride a 400 and you'll see that your buddy is full of it. I can see why he would say that he feels that his 400 has great low end. Its not bad but the weight of the 400's front end is less than the Raptor so it pulls up easy = feels like strong low end. I promise you, the Raptor is the way to go if you are looking for raw everywhere power and torque. If you buy a 400 expecting to compare with the Raptor everywhere but the track, you'll be disappointed. Money wise, the 400 is cheaper though. But if you want a cheaper quad, get the Suzuki Z-400. It is about the same price as the 400EX, and it is much more powerful and modern (liquid cooling, reverse, etc.) than the 400EX. Ask your friend what he thinks about the Suzuki vs. the 400EX and see what crap he tells you then.

Old 06-27-2002, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think the Raptor (or any Yamaha) is very well known for great suspension, but it isn't bad. As for which is funner... that is a question that no one person in this forum can answer. If someone says that a 400ex is funner than a Raptor or vise versa, they aren't worth listening to.

Ride both, and answer that question for yourself. If you can answer that question, than all the other specs, speeds, and power doesn't matter, because all the power in the world does no good if you aren't enjoying the ride.

Quick Reply: "400ex smokes raptor from low-mid"