Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bypassing the reverse rev limiter... a different approach :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a little info for bypassing the reverse limiter too. This is in great thanks to MMcGuire:

Under the driver side, side panel, there are two wires that run from the CDI along side the upper part of the opening. You really cant miss these wires. They are in a group of wires and it is the only one that is green with a white stripe. If you use just a simple 3.00 toggle and splice into the green with white stripe wire with one end of the toggle wire and run the other wire from the toggle to a ground (like to the frame of the bike) you will have just bypassed the reverse rev limiter. simple as that.

What this does, is fool the CDI into thinking that you are not even in reverse when you flip the toggle. If the toggle is in the other position, the wire works as it should. What you are creating is a temporary ground when the toggle is engaged. It is simple, it works and is VERY cheap. I recommend putting the toggle right next to the shifter/slightly above. This way, when you need to reverse out of the mud hole, just hit the toggle, and INSTANT max RPM's. Flip the toggle back off, and shift back into desired gear!

This still does not help us with the forward sputtering that we are getting. Today, i rode with MMcGuire on a short mud ride. I took my wifes bike (bone stock) and Mikes bike has ITP 589 27". Both bikes sputtered in every gear (high/low) and 2wd, 4wd, 4dif lock. Mike had never experienced it before, but he is one that keeps the tires spinning all the time in the mud. He stopped and then went to hit the gas....and SPUTTER! Now he knows what i am disgusted with.

Every bike that i have rode with and ride on, does it. The only thing that i can think of about others bikes that are not doing it, is that maybe the riding conditions are different for them. TRY IT, if you ride in the muck. Come to a full stop in the muck and hit the gas....i am sure that you will see what i am talking about.

Within the same side, at the bottom of the transmission housing, there is a white wire that comes out with some others. I am thinking that this is the wire that will bypass ALL limiters with a switch. I just need to figure out if it can just be grounded (with toggle) or what? Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Sorry, i put this in another post, but meant to keep it seperate!

Jonathan

Old 06-28-2002, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jonathan,
i know that the white wire that comes out of the cdi box is for the rev limiter while in 4x4 with locked diffs. if you just flat out cut it, your reverse light will flash, but you will get full power while in locked diff. my brother did this to his grizzly, and now he has full throttle in locked diffs! good luch buddy!!!
as for the problem with it spuddering. what i think is happening is when you let off the gas, your tires are dug in real good. trying to give it gas again, and the rev limiter sences that it is overreved, just do to the ammount of pull the engine needs to start turning the tires again. this would make it sputter, and not get the tires turning. i know if you unscrew the cdi box from under the seat, and pull it out a bit. then locate the only white wire coming from under it, you can cut it. cap off the 2 ends, and put the cdi box back( kinda tricky to get it in just right) i watched jeff, from matva, do it to my brothers, and it works great now!!!! the only thing is, the reverce light will flash, they all do. but it is a free fix to the rev limiter!!!

my pictures