Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Suspension Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All-

I have a couple of rookie questions for you. I am going to upgrade the suspension on my Raptor next month, but do not fully understand shock specs. Mainly, I don't understand the difference between dual rate and triple rate, and why would I get them with reservoirs or without?

Final question, is in regards to tires. I want to upgrade to Razr's front and rear. Is there any reason why I would not want to keep the stock rims?

TIA everyone!

Old 06-28-2002, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<< Hi All-

I have a couple of rookie questions for you. I am going to upgrade the suspension on my Raptor next month, but do not fully understand shock specs. Mainly, I don't understand the difference between dual rate and triple rate, and why would I get them with reservoirs or without?

Final question, is in regards to tires. I want to upgrade to Razr's front and rear. Is there any reason why I would not want to keep the stock rims?

TIA everyone!
>>

Spring rates depend somewhat on the style of riding you plan to do. If you do MX and/or ride lots of terrain with stutter or braking bumps and do a lot of big jumps you may want to look at triple rates to handle those conditions. Otherwise dual rates would probably serve your purpose just fine.
Re reservoirs, again, if you're going to work you shocks quite hard, especially in hot weather, remote reservoirs tend to reduce shock fading.
Yamaha rims are quite strong and unless you wish to simply replace them I'd stick with them. I made the mistake of replacing my Warrior's OEM rims with .190 after market ones and was constantly bending them, sometimes beyond repair. The newer Douglas conventional rims with reinforcing rings are very good but pricey.

Old 06-28-2002, 07:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just to add with dual rate springs you have 2 springs with triple you have 3. On a dual rate setup the first, or short spring, is soft compared to the bottom one. This helps keep the tires in contact with the ground better. I can't say this 100% but I think that tripple rate is just more of the same.

Old 06-29-2002, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I think I would probably want triple rate with reservoirs. I don't ride MX, but the trails I ride on are pretty nasty. Lots of small jumps (6-8 feet), hard braking, big rocks, sometimes I come around a corner hauling a$$ and have to brake hard and would like the tires to stay in contact with the ground, and not skip so much. Maybe with better suspension, I wouldn't have to brake at all! Having a blast, but would like the suspension to smooth things out a bit for me so I can do a better job of keeping up with the guys on two wheels (well, the 25% that are fast anyway. I love the looks on some guys faces. Kind of disbelief when I pass them). Then their are the other 25% that are like trying to catch a damn rocket.

Thanks again for the info...

Old 06-29-2002, 01:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you are going to order new shock tell the person you buy them from exactly what you want out of them and they should be able to help you. If you are going with Works talk to Fourlix, he knows more about them than the people that make them.