Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New to Yammy...Questions about 2001 Kodiac 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I'd like to say "hey" to you Yammy guys. I'm not new to this message board.....I've been over in the Polaris category until now. I got rid of that POS moneypit Scrambler and got a used 2001 Kodiac 400 Special Edition Automatic. I went through it Saturday aft and changed the diff fluids and engine oil to synthetic then went over things a bit to get familiar (ya....I take everything apart....can't leave anything alone...LOL) I went riding on Sunday and noticed a few things.

1. The gear ratio seems very low. Even in high range the top speed can't be over 35-40 mph. Is this normal? I rarely had to use low range, even in mud/muskeg. Would this bike benifit from a 27 inch tire? I need tires anyway, so this is an important issue for me right now.

2. There is a "clicking" noise from underneath somewhere. Its very hard to nail down, but it seems that after you have used 4x4 then gone to 2x4, or you were in reverse then go forward, it will make a farely loud "click".....only once. Very curious as to what this is.

3. The cooling fan never seemed to come one. Does this engine cool adequatly with the rad alone, making it rare to need the fan? I took the plastic off the front, cleaned the rad and checked the fan motor....all wiring seems to be in place (hey, its a 2001....how much wiring could be worn through by now, right?).

Overall, I miss the 2 stroke power of the Scram, but the Kodiac really impressed my in the mud. The automatic has seemless operation and never took on any water, even in some high-speed creek crossings. The engine seems very torquey but the speed on a long trail is very slow as you have to rev the heck out of it.

Sorry for the long post. I look forward to getting to know you Yammy gurus!

Old 07-01-2002, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider
Old 07-01-2002, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Dave, welcome to the good side!

There have been lots of threads regarding top speed on the Kodiak, one just in the past week or so. Some report about 52-55 top speed GPS verified. Mine indicates 45-50 top, although I don't hold it there long, maybe it would eventually hit 52(??) I'm not into going fast all the time. If I was, I wouldn't have bought a utility machine.

Just a thought, what elevation are you riding at. Maybe your machine was set up for lower elevations. Re-jetting may be in order.

I've just put 26" bear claws on my Kodiak, but haven't riden yet.

I'm not sure about your click, although I can hear the actuator moving when switching from 2wd to 4wd. Wouldn't call it a click though.

I've never heard my fan come on either.

Where 'bouts do you ride in Alberta? There's another poster here who is from Red Deer. I used to live out there myself. Edmonton, Red Deer & Calgary.

Later

Old 07-01-2002, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

I ride out in the foothills/mountains/muskeg just southwest of Rocky Mountain House......Prairie Creek, Ram Falls areas. The only place I wound 'er out was on the road (elev 3500 feet) between riding trails/cutlines. I, like you refused to hold it wide open for long periods of time.....waaaay too high of revs for a 4-stroker, IMHO. Granted, I'm used to a Scrambler.....90 km/hr plus, but all the manually shifted machines were pulling away on me. I think the 27" tires will work fine....I may even get to use the low range some.

The "clicking" sound comes after switching from 4 wheel back to 2 wheel, then you drive ahead a bit. A buddy says that Yammy is aware of the sound and it is normal.....sounds funny to me.

Old 07-03-2002, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider