Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bad bog on Grizz 660

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last winter we purchased a 2002 Grizzly 660. We upgraded the tires to vampires. Now when we slow into a mud hole and punch it to get out, the quad bogs real bad. Kinda like it doesn't have enough umph to pull through. This should not be so with the 660. We had it into the dealer and they re-jeted it for our altitude(made no difference) My question is: Will a clutch kit fix this problem and has anyone else come across the same problem?

Thanks,

Griz660

Old 07-02-2002, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

I got the same problem, Went with a stock grizz, and he had it to. He has his in the shop right now and they are tearing it apart. I have no idea what it is, I'm hoping they find something..

Old 07-02-2002, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

MMcGuire is right....he is talking about me! lol

I dont have the "same" problem as you (for the bike that is in the shop) but we have been doing research on what causes the bike to "bog" or "sputter" when in deep mud. It has now been determined that the limiters on the bike are causing the problem.

What happens is: when you inlarge the tire size, it takes more RPM to even start to turn those lugs, thus the dif lock/torque limiter is kicking in. We have figured out how to bypass the reverse (thanks MMcGuire) by splicing into the green with white stripe wire that is under the driverside sidepannel. It is in a wire bundle and right above where you would access the carb. Not hard to find (under some tape). Splice into it with one lead to a toggle, and the other wire from the toggle to a ground. When you flip the toggle it will ground out the reverse indicator and fool the CDI into thinking that the bike is not in reverse, thus eliminating the reverse rev limiter. As far as the other limiters....checkout Silverbears website. It is in his signature line. He has a great explanation of how to do it.

I will be trying this once i get my bike back to see if that will "CURE" the forward sputtering in the mud/muck.

If you do it before me, let me know how it works.

PS: An alternate route to doing the forward limiter is to actually "cut" the white wire without a momentary switch. BUT, if you do, make sure never to engage the dif lock while moving...could cause damage to the front dif.

Jonathan

Old 07-02-2002, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tip. We have done all that as well as the jets. Now we are thinking it is clutch kit time. Spoke with a company called Erlandson Performance, they figure it is clutch tuning. I will give you a better idea of what is happening. In a mud hole, or under heavy load, or starting out on a really steep grade, it feels like you are starting out in fourth gear and you arn't going anywhere! The clutch kit is suppose to engage 400 RPM higher than stock enabling the engine to pick up rev's and not bog.

Shyra and Darren

Old 07-02-2002, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Let us know how the clutch kit works, the price, and (please please) how well it performs in the mud!!!

Jonathan

Old 07-03-2002, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

Are you in high or low when this happens?

Old 07-03-2002, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Low! Reverse is even worse. Do you have an idea?

Old 07-03-2002, 12:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Things might be different where you are. This weekend we were up at 8500 feet above sea level. We were up checking out the marmots(very big gophers on mountian tops)LOL.

Old 07-03-2002, 08:58 AM
Trailblazer

I have been reading posts like this for quite a while....I too own a 02 Griz..I sold my Wolverine and upgraded, my Wolv was not stock but I was assuming the 660 would out perform it...NOT..I have had to play with the Griz also..I have installed the K+N jet kit and a HMF pipe, someone mentioned being lean befor mods and this is correct. Any mods to increase flow, will need more fuel..Did anyone notice the main is on the small side? My final main on the Wolv was 147.5...I am running a 150 in my Griz...There is a small jet(50) that suppliments this main and the midrange (needle). This small jet plugs up very easily, mine had something plugging off half of it. I would pull the carb, check all the jets for obstructions. I would also suggest the K+N jet kit. Make sure your air filter is clean and not over oiled. I have had my carb off 6-8 times trying to get it right....It is very close !!!I mow the yard with a set of gang mowers, pull out firewood and trail ride..It does all well, no dead spot anywhere...From an idle, sitting on the seat, not pulling on the bars, in high, 2 wheel drive, warmed up, she will pull the front tires and hold them for 10-12 feet....The rooster tails off this baby are nasty!!

SS Shop

Old 07-04-2002, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

The low gear on the grizz isn't as low as it could be is part of the problem too. ( stock the grizz will cruise over 40 mph in low gear, that'd be near 50 with big tires, too tall on the low gear.)

Quick Reply: Bad bog on Grizz 660