Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

mod time baby!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wife finally got a job and now I now have money to blow on my baby...an 01 Raptor. I trail ride and am tired of the 400 runts eating me up on the corners. I handle dealers for a mfg co and inherently distrust dealers opinions...always biased for business reasons. So I would greatly appreciate some advise from some grizzled veterans on this site.

1. Suspension...do I widen the wheelbase to get rid of tippy feeling or will some tricked out am shocks do the trick?
2. Exhaust...I look at the catalogs and don't tell me crap. Who do I go with, white bros, fmf, that jap outfit? Are head pipes worth the extra? Baffled or not?

Beef up the suspension to handle corners better and put an exhaust to juice the power and make it sound meaner, that's my goal. BUT...there may be some more mods that I can add to it that I'm not thinking of, so I'm open to some good suggestions on other things. I want the baddest mf on the trails.

Old 07-07-2002, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shocks would be nice but damn there expensive!!
I just ordered a set of High Lifter billet wheel extentions (I'm going a little at a time) that should help the stability problem.
I've also been looking at the Alba A arms +2/+1 but there's that shock thing again.

One thing I'm positive of is my Sparks X6 pipe!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I have the full system with stainless head pipe & spark arrestor. When I put it on my a$$ dyno said WOW!!!
It's a very well made, good looking & great sounding pipe & the people at Sparks are great to work with!!
You can see what the Sparks X6 looks like on my raptor at the Sparks Racing Web Site. Go to the Raptor page click exhaust & scroll to the bottom of the page & click the pic of my Raptor at Sahara for a full size pic.

I think the full pipe is worth the $$$ at least on the Sparks pipe. eRaptoid rode my quad before he got his headpipe & said that he could tell the diffrence, he said it had much better mid range throttle response.

You also want to add a Dynojet kit, Trim the restrictor out of the snorkel & put on a Pro design adaptor.

I also highly recomend the Trail Tech lights if you do any night riding at all!! These things really let you see at night!