Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

DMC Alien Exhaust For Raptor...BS???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I am in the market for a full exhaust system. I was pretty much set on the full yoshi exhaust, but then I saw an ad for the DMC Alien exhaust. I really like the looks of the pipe. It looks sweet. Also, it reads in the add the following:

"The DMC 4-Stroke Pulse Chamber operates as a variable tuning device over a range of RPM's to continuously deliver maximum torque and horsepower. The dual outlets work in conjunction with the Pulse Chamber to insure proper backpressure at low to mid range engine speed and minimum outlet restriction at high RPM"

OK, so, these guys are saying they can give you a great increase in power at the bottom and top end because of some device that regulates backpressure in their pipe. Sounds really good, because I was worried about giving up low and mid power for top end gain. I go to their web site at www.dmc-on-line.com, and find the following:

"The new era of exhaust systems begins right now. In a completely revolutionary design, the DMC Alien incorporates a completely new exhaust technology adapted from hydrodynamic flow theories.

Specifically developed for the Raptor twin-port engine, the DMC Alien features separate header pipes for each port to supply maximum scavanging, creating a superior combustion chamber "fill" and flow.

Pack more action out of the Raptor with the DMC Alien and experience up to 55% more torque and up to 57% more horsepower"

Okay, this all sounded great, until I read the 55% more torque and 57% more horsepower. Stock, my raptor has about 35 horsepower, they are saying I will add 19.95 horsepower with their pipe! So I will have a 55 HP Raptor with gobs of torque by adding their pipe.

I'm sorry, but to me this sounds like bullshit! If anyone has one of these systems, and can vouch for that type of power gain, I will buy one tomorrow, otherwise, I am going to turn them into the US Bureau of Consumer Affairs. I hope I'm wrong, but those numbers just seem too huge by adding a pipe. A gain of almost 20 HP for $500, who wouldn't be running their pipe.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

Old 07-07-2002, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

I think you read into what they are saying, wrong.

It;s the same as CT's pipe saying they get a 33HP increase using thier pipe. It's not actaully 33 more HP over the peak, rather 33 more HP over where the stock pipe falls off!

This is an example:

Stock Rap makes peak HP of 35 @ 6500 RPm's

With the DMC or CT the Rap makes peak HP of 45-50 @ 7200 RPM's

Understand what they (and I) are saying. The power lasts longer, thus opening up the powerband envelope (6500 peak HP vs. 7200 peak HP).

Hope that helped!

I have a buddy that runs the DMC and he loves it. He also says that the DMC compared to others he has tried, seems to add more HP in the top-end range. Others he tried provide more bottom end, but less top-end.

The DMC looks real nice and seems to hold up well too. The design is similar to the Trinity pipe, with both headers going all the way back.

Another item you may want to consider, is that "I don't think" that DMC pipes have a spark arrestor, it's not an option either. So if you need a spark arrestor for places you ride, it might just not be a solution for you, unless they now have the SA.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-07-2002, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

swytak-

Thanks for the "enlightenment". I get frustrated with false claims by companies, regardless of what area they do business, so it looks like I was too harsh on judging DMC claims. Thank you for showing me how those claims are reached. I really do like the looks of their pipe, and they have just released a spark arrestor option for it. I will call them Monday to find out how loud it is. I can't go above 101 db to ride in my area. If it's 101 or lower, I'm buying it Monday. I really like the looks of the thing. I really like the part that it has some type of variable chamber that keeps the backpressure when at lower RPM's, so you don't loose bottom or mid-range power, and that it opens up for full flow at the top end. Seems like you truly get an increase across the entire powerband. I'm a little bored with the powerband now, and would like something to wake her up a little bit.

Thanks again for the information. That's why I read through this forum several times a day!

Old 07-07-2002, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

I have the DMC Alien, Ilove it. It puts out more than the CT, I have DYNOed proof. The pipe RULES.

Old 07-07-2002, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

BlueRulez

For nosie issue, I believe the DMC is very loud. It may run over 101DB and I have seen those pipe that I race out in the desert. It was alot louder then the one I used to own of WB E-series even with the silencer on it.
Then I change to LRD pipes. It made a world of different then WB E-series and the DB is much lower too. I think it run about 95-96db. It give me a broad band of power then E-series had.

The reason I switch over to LRD was to DB issue since the Oregon dune sound level is at 93db.
I am just a little over the limit but I have no problem with the forest ranger.

The LRD told me it peak about 44-45 HP, much more then E-series. They will tell you what the main jet is and is right on the money.

If the nosie issue going to be a problem you might end up shopping around to find the pipe will suit you of the nosie level.

also if you have old issue of Dirt Wheels go look of Feb 2002 issue and it have the pipes shoot out of the Raptor.

Hope this will help you where to look for

Bill

Old 07-07-2002, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Zombie - Thanks for the info. I really want that pipe now. Any idea the DB level? I have to stay at 101 or lower. I will call them tomorrow, and find out, but any confirming numbers you have would be great.

desracers - I looked at the shootout, and that's what made me look at the full yoshi setup. Seemed to be the most power, and the quietest package. 101 DB is pretty loud, but legal, so if the DMC is close to that nunmber, I'm getting it. That pipe just looks cool. And, if everything in their add is true, it will be a nice setup. Hell, even if it's 102 or lower, I might get it. I'm getting the SA option for it, I think the screen may knock down the noise a tiny bit.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the info. I can always count on getting great input from this forum.

Old 07-07-2002, 10:41 PM
Range Rover

Just 2 let you know my buddy has one and it is LOUD!!!!!!I have a GrayDon on my bike and went we race i beat him 2 out of 3 times.So if you decide to get it look into getting the Spark arrester kit that will bring down db under 101.

Old 07-08-2002, 11:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<< race i beat him 2 out of 3 times >>

Guys, the key too power lies in jetting with any exhaust for YOUR particular atv.

Old 07-08-2002, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

BlueRulz, I had the DNR Decibal test the machine at the local riding place, it was manditory. I had the DMC spark arrestor on it and she tested out at 96 db's. I'm glad I could help.

Old 07-08-2002, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Zombie - I just checked with DMC, and they told me that the DB is 103 with their exhaust, and that the SA didn't really help that noise. When you had yours checked, was it at idle, or did you run the RPM's up?

Thanks...

Quick Reply: DMC Alien Exhaust For Raptor...BS???