Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dyno Jet Kit=Junk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, come on here. Lets think just a bit what your doing before just blurting how dynojet, curtis sparks and all the rest you have bashed in the past few months.

Just cut me a little slack here, yah I don't drag quads and yah I have nothing to run against any of you.

But what I do know is you all want to drag or dune your machines wich is graet. My point is who is waisting money and who is realy the ones to bash here.

Almost all your mods or builder your bashing are not what you should even be buying and installing on your machines.

Just listen and hold up just a second.

When poeple are racing XC or MX thier main concern isn't what the straight line times are nor how much top end HP you have. Most concerns of these racers are HP, tourque and response of an engine at a perscribed RPM window wich is the most usefull in thier aplication.

Such as say 2000 to 5000RPM. Say in this window they can pump out 30HP, but on the same note a drag machine can only pump out say high 20's, this is what these type racers are looking for. They want the max HP in the rpm window that works best for them in thier riding styles.

Now on the other side you have drag racing and duning. These types of set ups demand the quickest transition from bottom to top and then they stay in the top only, threw all the gears. So hier we are talking radical cams, massive flow and huge compression to offset the loss of the bottom and mid ranges.

Thier is absolutely no problem with either set up nor any ones style of riding. My point is, why in the heck would you be playing with dynojet kits for a drag/dune style set up. They offer no advantages for these riders.

In closing just remember thier is a place for many different kits and mods in many different uses of the machines. Just because a dynojet kit doesn't work in your aplications it's no reason to dis them. To be honest I would question all these long time drag/dune racers because 20 years ago any one could have told you this.

Infact 20 years ago the dial a jet was the new fad on these set ups, but then the lectron carbs were re-invented from being a harley carb to being one of the top drag carbs, but once again, this has been known for 20 years or better.

So in best you have realy killer machines. If you want to drag and realy set these machines up run with poeple like harry from the west coast. This is all these poeple have been doing for years and years. If you want to XC your machines go talk to micky dunlap he for sure is the leader in that department. If mx is your game thier is specialized poeple there too.

Just stick with what your doing instead of a company like dynojet wich is very, very well known for building mid range power with quicker throttle response but also very, very well known not to be able to build much if any top end.

Old 07-19-2002, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

I am not a drag racer. We mainly ride trails and MX. On occasion when some one gets a new part or a new quad we like to line them all up to see what advantages were gained in the excelleration dept. We also hit the track and trails together swap machines and so on to see wich set ups work best for all round use.

When i purchased my dynojet kit they said that i will get an increase in performance from top to bottom over the stock jetting. Which it didnt. The only thin i gained is a slight increase in the low end and a loss in the top end. Now if you ask me thats false advertising.

After putting my stock jets in and tuning it that way, plus increasing the pilot jet size by one, I have just as good of throttle response as the dynojet, it revs quicker, has just as much lowend and has a huge mid thru top end gain over the dynojet. To me this means that the dyno jet isnt worth the money.

IMHO the only thing the Dyno Jet kit is good for is for the average joe that doesnt know anything about carbs and wants the easiest way of jetting his quad. And i can understand this and its fine but they shouldnt say its better over the stock jets.

I'm not saying the kits are bad in general because on the banshee they worked great! I dont know about other quads because i havent tried them on them. What i am saying is i think they should have done a little more research on the Raptor before releasing the kit for it. They also should have a stage 3 kit for people who have more than just a pipe and filter.

I was looking for the best power top to bottom. I have just as much as low as a dynojet kit plus pulls hard all the way up the RPM's so why buy a Dyno Jet kit? Any body will tell yah that the most important thing is power where they want it, but if you can get extra power in the top with just as good of low to mid you can hold each gear out longer wich means less shifting. Thats what i wanted and now thats what i have. Im happy now.

Old 07-19-2002, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Well I stand corrected.

It just gets a little old watching the salect few of raptors just haul off and bash many poeple just because a product doesn't perform like they want or what ever. I realy thought this was another case of it.

I appologize.

Old 07-20-2002, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

No problem man, I can understand where you are coming from. Thats why i never take anyones word for any mod. If it sounds like a good mod for what i am looking for i will try it. The only thing bad about doing stuff that way is it gets expensive trying stuff then taking it back off because it wasnt what i was looking for. But i love to tinker so it gives me somthing to do.

Old 07-20-2002, 01:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So MT,

What did you wind up with? Main jet size each carb, needle position each carb, pilot size and number of turns on each screw? Also what altitude are you at? TIA

Old 07-21-2002, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

My elevation is about 500ft. I am running a 160,165 mains with the needles on the 3rd,4th clip with the air screws at 2 1/4, 2 3/4 with 25 pilot jets. At first i had some trouble with the thing hesitating, then i realized that i kept the dyno jet springs in it. I took those out and it cured the hesitation.

Old 07-21-2002, 04:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks.