Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Broke the billet fortin gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help me out here people. I had the fortin billet gear set in my 01 raptor. Sunday while dragracing I sheared all three dogs off of 2nd gear and wrecked the transmission. We had to tow it to the trailer. Is the 02 gear set the fix? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2002, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Vilnrk,
Sorry to hear about the break down. I've heard alot of people say that the 02 gears are stronger than any fortin aftermarket gears available for purchase. I think the tranny failures on the 01 raptors were due to bad shifting forks, not weak gears. JMO.

"Jay"

Old 07-09-2002, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, that's the first I've heard of the Fortin set failing. I believe you know Marty (also owns a Turbo Rap, I believe he mentioned you guys were helping one another tune over the phone) he has an 02 Rap for the turbo and hasn't had any problems. Don't know if that tells anything or not?

I went with the 02 gears for my 727 that's being built and I should be pushing the numbers you have been. Time will tell!

Sorry to hear that, I know it's painfull, I've been through one tranny failure and a rod failure, they all hurt!

Old 07-09-2002, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

Did you miss shift the gears while going down the strip? You must hammer the crap out of it. I have never heard that Fortin gears fail.
Did you call them to let them know what happen?

Sorry to hear that happen......

Old 07-09-2002, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

Were you on the turbo or alcohol when the trans went. Not that it makes any difference I just wanted to know what you were on when you ran Randy.

Old 07-09-2002, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

desracers - I called SamCoe per. and talked to them about the gear failure. They told me unfortunatly no kind of warranty (i figured as much) but they did tell me that I could send in my transmission and they would look over the gears and magnaflux them. They said they might be able to cut me a deal on another set. I don't want to spend that kinda money again since it can break. They are not indestructible. I have missed shifts on occasions.

RaptorRRC - I was running the turbo setup on race gas 114 octane. I was running 15-40 gearing launching in 1st and then going to 2nd most of the time never shifting into 3rd. The turbo pushes the power band all the way to the rev limit. I think its going to take a turbo on alky to even run beside that bad a$$ 760DS.

When I first started out I was pushing 12psi boost and running right beside raptorboy673. After I turned up the boost to 15psi I think I was about 2 bikes out on him, but Randy was like 5 out in front of me, or so it looked to me.

swytak - I talk to Marty (turbo marty) whenever I can get a hold of him. He has been on vacation for awhile. You mentioned you had a rod failure. What rod did you replace it with? My rod has gouges from the gear fragments so I will be replacing it. You think the stock rod is weak???
This turbo pushes the engine to the rev limit easily even into 3rd gear. I havent tried 4th yet since to me that is faster than I care to go on a quad. I know that revving out like that has got to take its toll on the rod.

Old 07-09-2002, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

that sux! glad i didn't buy those gears. i agree about the shift forks. i was told to have the stock gears undercut so they pull together under a pull. after hearing about what you broke. my doesn't seem that bad. later charles
if there is anything i can help with, let me know

Old 07-09-2002, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

vilnrk,

I replaced my rod with a Carrillo rod, very nice and definately top of the line. Yes, the stock rod is weak and after a tranny failure, I would suggest to any and all to replace it while the bottom end is torn apart!

Again, as I mentioned in my earlier response, I went with the 02 gears. I don't know if they will hold up to the 70+ HP I will be pushing, but I plan to find out. Only time will tell!

Let me know if I can help at all.

Swy

Old 07-10-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

swytak - thanks for the advice. I will do the carrillo rod also. Good luck with your 70+hp raptor. I found a place that has a 105mm flat top piston that will work with the turbo (low compression) I need a new piston anyhow, but maybe a 720 turbo is too much.....? 275 dollars sound high???

Thanks raptorboy673,swytak

BTW I did notice that one of my shift forks have some burned grooves in the bottom of the circle (bottom of the U shape). Like one of the gears was pushing against it?

Old 07-10-2002, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

$275 isn't too high, I believe my piston (JE 12:1 comp) was like $250 or better. so? It's probably harder to find that piston with lower comp rating too.

MY thought, too much is never enough! hehe I like too much, but that's just me!

I hoped I helped you some and again, if I can help with anything else feel free to ask!

Swy

Quick Reply: Broke the billet fortin gears