Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Should I use Dynojets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. I decided to go with the DynoJet kit. I read allot of post, and the majority of people that have the DynoJet kit, like it. Hopefully I will to. I just dropped off my Raptor at the shop for the first service and tune. They will do the jetting and pipe while it is there and it should be ready tomorrow. I can't wait [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I hope it makes a noticeable difference in power and performance!

Old 07-11-2002, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

You won't be sorry with the Dynojet kit. It is money well spent.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The guy that bought my Raptor put the PC T4 pipe on it and he said it flies. I noticed a big difference just from the Dynojet and opening up the air box, still with the stock pipe. Let us know what you think.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Area51,

After putting on about 80 miles (only 100 degrees in the shade here)with the dynojet kit freshly installed I'm very happy. You are on the same "mild modification" path as I recently completed and I think it's a nice combo. Anything more radical might require finer tuning but a slip-on and jetting with the dynojet parts and instructions seem to work well together. Enjoy.

Have ya thought about widening her up ?

Old 07-12-2002, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks everyone for your help. I will let everyone know what kind of difference it makes once it is done and I get a chance to ride. Hopefully it will be done tomorrow, but I'm not for sure when I will ride again, as it is so hot now that it is dangerous.

Fisher1648, what pipe have you decided on? I haven't planned on widening it, I may some day, but not for now. I mainly just trail ride, and like to feel the rush of straight-line acceleration! I don't know if I would get the full use out of widening it up. Have you widend yours yet. I think it is pretty expensive.

I had the dealer install the stuff; I hope they install all the required parts for the DynoJet kit. I don't want them to mix and match, I have heard that is not good. I would think that they will do it right, since I bought the kit, and handed it to them. I have a hard time trusting someone else to do my maintenance, but I have the extended warranty, (just in case the transmission is not fixed on the 2002) and I need them to install it so that it wouldn't void out my warranty.

Old 07-12-2002, 03:12 AM
Range Rover

LOL already starting to worry just check your parts when they come back and see.they will do ok though don't worry. Hey about widening it. Have you thought about turning your front rems. this widens it up more then you would think for 10 to 20 bucks depending on who you have do it.it will give you a little more width up front.i think it gives you like 2 to 3 inches but not exactly sure.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Rob660, I was thinking about the wheel spacers. I know a guy who has them on his Zilla, and likes them. I guess they are all right as long as you don't try to get big air on jumps. What do you think? Have you widened yours yet? I haven't really noticed any real problems with it's handling. Shoot, after muscling my Prairie 650 around, the Raptor seam's like a dream [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I don't know if I really try to corner that hard or not, I mainly like just getting on the throttle really hard on the straights, not railing into corners, like I said, I'm not MXing or anything, just trail riding and playing in the sand. I might try the wheel spacers though, but I'm not going to buy new A-Arms and a wider axel. Not unless my riding skills get allot better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2002, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

By the late J.F.C. dynojets don't give you a bit of power, they just adjust mixtures, that can be done much cheaper with Mikuni parts ( my dealer has jets for 2.95 ) If one needs to play with the needle get an extra put it in a drill and taper it the way you want. Lastly the diaphram spring may tweek throttle response, but it's not going to do nearly as much as plain having the right mixture[will force the stock springs to open plenty fast].

Old 07-12-2002, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Area51,

I have not selected a pipe to replace the FMF yet. Once the FMF falls off I'll be looking hard at the Por Circuit. By then you can give me a report !

There are two avenues to widening: An expensive route and a "cost effective" method. I went the cheap way and it has really worked well - for me. I have the Dura-blue EZ-fit 2" spacers ($98)in the rear. They bolt on and there is no permanent mod. Really makes a positive difference in stability and turning - sliding. I have heard of people bending axles but that's mostly MX jumping stuff. I have had absolutely no probs with hard desert riding. Best money spent yet as far as price/performance ratio. The expensive route is widened axles.

The next cheap move - offset front wheels. Once ya trash the stock front tires, order a set of new tires (of your choice) mounted on 2" off-set ITP steel wheels ($45 each without tires). This widens the front nicely. www.rockymountainatv.com has tire/wheel packages at great prices. Again - bang -for-the-buck is very high. The expensive route is widened A-arms.

The expensive route is obviously the "best" method but very pricey. I'm very happy with my set-up and it has been very durable. Heck, I finished 17th out of 54 riders in the last Whiplash desert race down in Mexico. Not bad for a weekend warrior.

One other thing, I can't say enough good things about the Denton steering stabilizer ($150). Elimates the "yank the bars out of your hands" thing when ya hit a rut or rock and really helps straight line stability in sand.

See ya, Eric

Old 07-13-2002, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info Eric. I just got my Raptor back. They put the ProCircuit T4 slip on, and rejetted with the DynoJet's. They installed a 146 left, and a 150 right. I was looking at the dynojet chart and they recommend (for a full exhaust system which I only have a slip on, although the ProCircuit head pipe and mid pipe are the exact same dimensions as the stock Raptors, so it probably doesn't make any difference) a 146 left and 148 right. I hope that mine is not going to be running to rich. I rode it up and down my street, and played with the throttle a bit, but I couldn't find any bad spots or any stumbling, so hopefully it is right on, I don't want to have to take it back into them and make them do it again. I also had them install a Motion Pro Vortex twist throttle, because the stock thumb throttle was killing me.

What do you guy's think about the jet sizes that they used on mine? I think they just went with the 2 sizes bigger on the right side that Yamaha recommends (146 left and 150 right DynoJet on mine), rather than the one size bigger on the right (146 left and 148 right) that the Dynojet chart recommends.

Old 07-13-2002, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

Heck - don't sweat it - get some good hard rides in and if it runs good - run it ! How do ya like the improvement in power ? Mine seems to have a lot more "authority".

Have fun, Eric

Quick Reply: Should I use Dynojets?