Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yamaha or honda

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 09:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haen't had any experience on the Polarises but I have on the Wolv and the Warrior. The motor is absolutly unbreakable. For what you desribed the Wolv sounds more like what you would want. The Warrior is a great bike for a taller person than the 300. Call the people that have them for sale and get them to let you take it for a test ride.

Old 07-17-2002, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

i would get a warrior they can wheelie and jump just as good

Old 07-18-2002, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

I'd get the warrior. I'm as tall as you and 220lb with riding gear and the warrior is more comfortable on long rides compared to the 300ex. plus, more power/speed, and if you don't race, the handeling is fine. However, if I was 5'6" and 145lb, I would get the honda. I won't get into why, but at your size, you'll appreciate the warrior. I even find the warrior a little small, but the 300ex is too tiny for guys our size.

oh yeah, my 400ex(that I'm selling) is not too much bigger than a warrior. just a bit. I'v gone wheeling with several guys with warriors who beat the snot out of them, and there still running strong(one is a 1988) but they are loose(bushings and bearing wear) the hondas stay tight for a lot longer.

Old 07-18-2002, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

maybe its just me but if your gonna spend ks on a warrior then why not invest another few hundred to get a 400EX.. Its a better quad then both of em and yod fit great on it.. Just my opinion!

Old 07-18-2002, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

wheelie dude...can u explain why u would want the honda if you were smaller. IT seems like your saying the 300ex is a better quad, but you reccomend settling for the warrior because it accomodates a bigger size. Do u think the 300 handles better than the warrior? I have a warrior and have never ridden a 300 but i have ridden the 250 and besides feeling crampt, i felt it had a tippy feel to it. just my 2 cents

Old 07-19-2002, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

In my opinion, the honda is built better. small things, like the wheeles and tapered lug nuts, are nicer, and bigger(17mm vs 14mm). cleaner body, frame, and components. awesome for wheelies, and more plush suspension. I think it is easier for a smaller person to ride a 300ex than a warrior. I feel too big and clumsy on it, but it still has a nuteral, comfortable feel to it. a little hard to explain. Better/easier airbox and chain adjustment setup. working on the honda is easier. more crisp throttle response. and a few other little things that I like better. handeling is a little more smoother and precise as well. it is basicly more refined.

On the other hand, warrior has more power, speed, better reverse system, physically bigger, nicer color yamaha blue(in my opinion) 6 speeds(can be a + and a -) easier clutch pull, more comfortable seat, more comfortable at high speeds, and now i think the new ones have a rear brake light.

If I was smaller, the power of the honda would be good, but not at 220lbs. bigger engine is needed for me.

so, with the above criteria, I would choose the yamaha. I go for bigger power, and more comfort. may not be as refined, or as easy to work on as the honda, but is a great trail machine.

like someone said, if you can just save the extra money and get a 400ex. the 400 is like the 300, just bigger, way more power than either the 300ex or warrior, good suspension for fast driving(not as plush as the other 2) and just more fun. Only bad thing is no reverse. other things are that it vibrates a bit more, andchain and sprokets will wear out faster because of more power.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

The best "big and tall" guys quad out there is the DS-650 Bombardier. And believe it or not there are some awesome deals out there. It has an awesome Rotax engine, but suffers from some bad press mainly about its little weight problem. So resale value has been not up to par with the other manufacturers. You should be able to get a 2001 DS for around $4,000 or less. Even better if it comes with some mods, which basically don't affect the selling price at all. I am 6' and 210 lbs. My son has a Raptor, and it seems like a toy to me. The lighter sport quads jump and fly better, with more control in the air, but the DS lands as good as anything, and is awesome on trails and fireroads. The big stance inspires some great riding. Other than jumping, everything else seems like a toy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-20-2002, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, I agree, you arn't gonna find any sport/high performance quad more comfortable than a DS650. at least for big guys. even the raptor is noticably bigger and more comfortable than my 400ex. DS would be even nicer, but I ride mostly trails.

Old 07-20-2002, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer

I love the Polaris 500 4x4, I know this is the yamaha folder so please don't get pissed for me being here I promise not to bash yamaha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. My Scrambler Is very fast I have clocked it @ 69 mph the ride is very comfortable. And nothing stops the 4x4 action I mean nothing I have been in fender high mud and the scrambler has no problem with it. Its not the fastest ride out but if your considering the 300 ex I know my scrambler will smoke it (leaves warrior out). its true 4x4 and when you hit the throttle in 4x4 mode it feels very aggressive.

Old 07-21-2002, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 250x and i go ridin alot with someone who has a warrior and i often race him and we always go to gravel pits when we drag race i can beat him w/ my 250x and when it comes to climbin hills and mud i go through things he doesnt even wanna touch so i would go with the honda my self

Quick Reply: yamaha or honda