Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

would a stock Raptor smoke a stock LT-Z400?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 02:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which quad would get smoked in a drag?

Old 07-18-2002, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

Niether would get "smoked"... but the Raptor stock for stock is a little faster.

-Matt

Old 07-18-2002, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

I personally like both quads but I bought the Z because of price (5099.00) and I ride pretty much all woods and tight trails. My experience is that the Raptor will pull ahead of my Z by around 2 to 3 quad lengths from 4th gear on. Probably much worse since I've geared mine down. Both of them will pick up with mods quite a bit but the Raptor is always going to have the 260cc advantage. Both are excellent machines. If your riding dunes I would go with the Raptor simply because of the aftermarket availability. The 686 and 727 kits sound like a blast.

Old 07-18-2002, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you call being beat by 2 bike lengths or so getting smoked then I guess the Z gets smoked. I on the other hand don't call it that. I call it depressing for Raptor owners that a 260cc less displacement motor can hang that close to a Raptor. The Z's are surprising ly fast. And I disagree about if your going to ride the dunes just get a Raptor. Ive seen several Z's in the dunes and they are doing everything as well as anyone else. Unless your going to do nothing but drag racing and try and stay up with the drag banshees etc. Then the only thing that will help you there is to get a Banshee and mod it yourself or a quadzilla. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2002, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

Don't you read Dirt Wheels. The Z400 rules all. and if it does'nt beat it. a more experienced rider will solve that...or is it the other way around. anyways, the Z will smoke a raptor in the dunes and in a drag and it will spank the cannondales on the track while it pays your bills and feeds your kids.

contrary to belief...the Z400 will not walk your dog. But, it will file your taxes.

oh yeah...they re-jet themselves as needed.

Famous people that ride them include: Tom Cruise, George Bush, Arnold Schwartzwhatever, Pamela anderson, Colin Powers

Little known fact. 90% of quads/pros you see riding MX are actually on Z's with 250R plastic.

i was blind until i sat on a Z400. now i can see. My friend rode a Z through a stream. now it over flows with fish.

Old 07-18-2002, 01:55 PM
Range Rover

I own both and we ride the dunes. The last post is right on!!!

Old 07-18-2002, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

I read the article comparing the Z with the Cannondale and I have to agree with Dirt Wheels. They said the Cannon was faster on the track for experienced riders but the Z was a better all the way around quad because of being user friendly and cheaper. Cannon's while being the best out there for the track are not user friendly to Joe Shmoe. And their dealerships are few and far between. The main thing wrong with that article is they need to decide if they were doing a shootout between race quads or if they were picking the best machine for the average rider to trail ride and have for daily use. While I like the Cannon I don't think it is the best quad for daily use. I have yet to read the Raptor shootout yet but I like the handling of the Z over the Raptor and the 2 quad advantage is only noticed in a dragrace between the 2 quads. In the woods it's 80% rider and 20% quad anyway. Stock vs. Stock the Z and Raptor are pretty dang equal in my book. It would depend on what your long term goals are and where you ride at as to which is the best machine. And the guys in Dirt Wheels are expressing their opinions just like everyone on here is. Difference is they get paid for it. Sometimes better than others possibly. LOL

Old 07-18-2002, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

raptor660 gets "best post of the day"award

Old 07-18-2002, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

In stock form, the Z400 will pretty much hang neck and neck with a Raptor in a drag race up untill half way through 4 th gear, Then the Raptor slowly pulls away.
The winner is the Raptor, but its by no means a smoking. It does that with 400cc when compared to a 60% bigger engine in the Raptor.
It also handles better, and costs $800 less.
I think thats what Raptor660RNH was trying to say, but im not sure.
Thats with both machines fully stock.
The Z will never be able to hang with a Raptor after both machines are heavily modded though, no way to get around the lack of cc's.
And with just the typical Pipe, Jet and filter hopups, the Raptor starts to gain HP fast, while the Z came from the factory with a fairly hot setup, so the gains are smaller.
I guess the answer would be:
Stock, Raptor wins, but not by much.
Modded, the Raptor wins, with more of a "smoking" margine.

Old 07-18-2002, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

wasnt the article in question a"high performance"shootout
high performance quads are not manufactured for joe shmoe
they are for performance oriented customers who demand more and are willing to pay for it
would a z28 be a shootout winner against a dodge viper because its "user friendly and cheaper"

Quick Reply: would a stock Raptor smoke a stock LT-Z400?