Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

NEED HELP: Warrior Starter Relay

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002 | 06:12 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Hello All,
Im having trouble starting my Yamaha Warrior. When I try to start it, all that happens is the "starter relay" makes a buzzing sound. The lights work, so I know the battery is not dead. I also hooked up a car battery charger to it to make sure it was getting enough power, and still does the same thing, only louder. What could it be?

Also, one of the last things I have done was cleaned out my carb. I took the bowl off, and since it looked clean, I just put it back togather. The only thing that fell out was a little plastic disk. I put it back in the way it seemed to be in the first place. Now, the engine runs rich. Blue smoke comes out when I throttle it.

Thanks for all your help,
Mike

Old 07-27-2002 | 12:12 AM
The Facility

Try turning the key in the "on" position and then cross the two posts of the solenoid switch with a screwdriver. [Be sure to hold the handle and not the metal part..LOL] If it cranks up, the solenoid switch [relay] is bad.

If you put your carburetor back together exactly as it was, it should not run rich unless you adjusted the pilot screw. The plastic splash shield that shrouds the mainjet is to keep the quad from "stumbling" over rough terrain. It wouldn't cause it to run rich if it was not installed. However, if you installed it upside down, then that cause a problem....the bell shaped side of it faces toward the bottom of the float bowl.

Old 07-29-2002 | 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

My '96 Warrior exhibited the same problem when I accidentally drained my battery. Even after putting a charge to it, it would not turn over. Turned out I replaced the battery and problem was gone. Perhaps just not enough to turn it over. Would not turn over even w/ a heavy gauge wire directly to starter. Invest in a Clymer's manual if you don't have one already. It helped me many times. I also had probs w/ some of the saftey switches. Clutch,Reverse, Neutral. There are ways to troubleshoot them as well as the relays in the Clymer's manual. Check all the connections, clean w/ elec. contact cleaner and lube w/ dielectric grease.lol
LouV14

Old 08-05-2002 | 07:17 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Lou,
thats exactly what the problem was. The battery was dead. I left it on the trickle charge, and now the battery has enough to turn it over. Even tho it works right now, I will have to replace the battery in the near future.

Thanks All!!!