Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are the EBC clutches???

Old 08-02-2002, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

airraptor, I agree with the location of the spring, I said under the disk, but I meant on the inside diameter of the smaller disk, not between the fiber and the plate. What does this spring do exactly, do you see a problem with removing it?

Old 08-02-2002, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

I would like to interject and ask a question too - please...

I hear that the HD Barnett springs make it harder to pull the lever, but what exactly are they doing? that makes an improvement? How do they help me?

Old 08-02-2002, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

the heavier springs increase the pressure on the plates and reduces slipping/wear.

Old 08-02-2002, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Hey swytak, I called Barnett and got a "cover your ****" response to my questions regarding kevlar or carbon fiber clutch material in the crank.

Tech guy said "yes, you will have clutch material in the oil but it is very dense and fine and will not cause a problem". I don't believe him.

Old 08-02-2002, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't believe him either. I have a motor with about 10 hrs.MAX on it and it is totally fried because of the Barnett clutch I burned in it.
Web Cam won't even take the cam for core.
I was basicly called a liar when I told my motor builder that it only has 10 hrs. on it.
He told me that he has NEVER seen anything like it on a motor with so few hrs.
THANKS BARNETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only thing good out of it is that I have a better motor now.
I had a puke bike before with a high compression piston and cam.
Now, Well let's just say " I'll see you all at Four Stroke Wars" on MLK weekend.

Old 08-02-2002, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well guess what...I installed the Barnett plates and springs last season and a few riding trips later my engine was burning oil and I had fuel in the case. Oh well, so now I had an excuse to do a 686 kit. Thought the problem was a slide hanging up in the carb and causing fuel to dump into the chamber and get forced past the valves or rings.

I have 2 tanks throught the new 686 WITH the Barnett plates in there.

Because of this thread, I raced home from work to drain and check my oil....GUESS WHAT... it seems GRITTY!!! I checked my intake boots and they are clean so it is not sand or dirt. And we checked the intake when the motor initialy took a dump. Clean.

I just went to Yamaha and got new plates for $80 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

I hope I did not damage my new setup!

So, $150 Barnett clutch kit cost me $1,500!!!!

Barnett will be hearing from my attorneys (yes my office has a large team on retainer) on Monday morning [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Hey Raptor720....advice please!!

I wonder what the oil screen looks like???

Old 08-04-2002, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

I am sorry to hear about the few folks that stepped up and told us about thier bad experience using the Barnett fibers. Others will learn from your "unfortunate" mishap.

Unfortunately, these few are NOT going to be the only ones with problems from using these fibers. Give it some time, there will be ALOT more!

Again, heavier springs is all it takes, unless you are really pushing some ponies!

Old 08-05-2002, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

count me in on the court battle.

Old 08-05-2002, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

I went with the sparks HD clutch, includes heavier springs and I think the plates are banshee plates (though they wont tell me for sure) I had to remove the clutch boss also (thanks for not mentioning that sparks it would have made that job easier). but it runs great drops solid and no fading or slipping

Quick Reply: Raptor clutch ????'s