Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor clutch ????'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best replacement for the stock clutch, and will the side case come off without pulling the motor out?

TIA

Old 08-01-2002, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

First and foremost, stay away from using the Barnett clutch fibers. They are not meant to be used in 4-strokes. When they wear they leave particals like sand in the oil which will eventually lead to premature engine wear. The stock fibers are made from cork, which is much different from the material used in Barnett fibers. For 2-strokes the Barnett is a good choice, because the oil stays in the crank, not in the cylinder like a 4-stroke. Understand?
Way too many people are going to find this out the hard way for using the Barnett fibers in thier 4-stroke.

I suggest you buy stock plates and fibers and purchase some heavy duty springs. I used this set-up in my 686 with absolutely no clutch slippage, which eventually results in clutch burning. So unless your pushing the envolope further then a 686, stick with the stock plates and heavier springs. The springs can be purchased as a stand alone item from many places, one of which is Barnett.

For mega HP 4-strokes you can go with the FZR street bike clutch, which uses cork fibers that are much thicker and much heavier springs too. I have the part numbers layin around here somewhere and will try to find them, but I'm pretty sure you are not going to need this type of set-up.

Old 08-01-2002, 06:48 AM
Trailblazer

I followed Swytak's advise on this one. I purchased barnett HD springs and barnett clutch plates (one stock plate was warped), but will be using stock clutch fibers. I will install them this weekend and will let you know how they work.

Hey Swytak, I am thinking about removing smaller fiber disk and spring ring (dont know the proper name for it) and replacing with a standard fiber disk. I spoke to a Yamaha dealer and he said the spring ring was to help the clutch release and he did not think it was necessary. What do you think? Will I be alright without it? Seems that the clutch will hold better with a full sized disk.

Old 08-01-2002, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Are the Barnetts really that bad?? I am running one with a Hinson basket.

Old 08-01-2002, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

RaptorDownUnder,
I'm not exactly sure I understand your questiion on the smaller fiber disk and spring ring. Sorry. I do understand the disk part, but not the spring ring thing-(say that real fast a couple of times, geez).

RaptorRyan,
Yes, the Barnett fibers are bad news for 4-strokes. I know alot of peolpe that use them, but they just aren't aware of the differences between the stocker vs. Barnett. Most just think that the Barnett is good because it is aftermarket, includes heavier springs and Barnett themselves market thier product towards everything that has a clutch in it. When and if you ever get the chance, compare a Barnett fiber with a stock fiber. Scratch off some material from both and you aill notice what I am saying.

Heavier springs are all you need!

Old 08-01-2002, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

swytak- How bad is this clutch, should I pull it out at once! or maybe change my oil more frequently??? This is the first I have heard of anything like this.

Old 08-01-2002, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

I thought Barnett made kevlar "dirt digger" plates and standard non kevlar?? Kevlar would be bad.

Old 08-01-2002, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

Airraptor,

Good to hear someone else has tried this and it works, let me know if you have any problems with running without the spring.

Swytak,

The "spring ring thing" is called the "clutch boss spring" (i found it on the alba parts finder). It is located between the first and second disk plate (from the motor side) and sits below a smaller/narrower fiber disk.

I do not see how it helps anything. It seems like it would reduce clutch holding force since it is pressing the first and second plate apart when the clutch is engaged. I think I will take it out and try it.

Later

Old 08-02-2002, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

RaptorRyan,
I don't know that you need to pull it out right away, but I would definately change the oil very often. If you have to go in there to install anything, I would then change it.

BlueLeader,
You may be right, but I have yet seen a Barnett clutch made from cork. Again, you could be right, but I haven't seen one. As far as I know, they make a Kevlar and a Carbon fiber, neither of which are good for a 4-stroke.

DownUnder,
I see what you are saying now. I have not really takin a close look at that before. I will get my shop manual out and do a little studying on that. You guys might very well be right, I don't know.

I do know however, is that all you need to harness a piped Rap or even a mild 686 is heavier springs.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:08 AM
Trailblazer

I installed the new clutches today, I left the smaller/narrower plate in, but removed the boss spring. I decided to use the smaller plates because they were a little thicker, but it probably would not matter. The barnett clutch springs sure to make the lever harder to pull, should lock up the clutch much better, if my old fingers can take it.

Later.

Quick Reply: Raptor clutch ????'s