Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee owners, cpi or toomey and more mod ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone on here run the cpi inframe drag pipes? I have heard a few problems with fit and finish mainly.

Also, any dynos of these pipes or toomeys.

What air filter setup? I am thinking either toomey 2:1 or pro design flange with K&N and outerwear and no lid. Thoughts?

reeds? v force or remain stock? What is good about the aftermarket reeds?

Cool head? which one? I know they really dont help with cooling, but I like the interchangeble domes.

Anything else, suggestions??

Thanks in advance
Bat

Old 08-04-2002, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

batouttahell, you letting that Shee rip? How does it compare to the Bajahaha?

I don't have experience with the pipes, but I can say that through my MX experience, V-Force makes the best reeds available. The Boyesen RAD Valve is good on the Banshee motor, and I sorda like the K&N clamp on kit. A friend of mine runs PC's, clamp ons and no airbox.. Nice setup, and his Banshee is FAST. Also point out that it is MX geared, and outran quite a few dune/drag setup bikes at Small Sahara:0

Old 08-04-2002, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Lonestar, I just got her broke in and it is a blast to ride, adrenaline rush even stock.

I will hopefully be getting pipes this week and looking at reeds and air filter setups and then jetting of course.

It is hard to compare the two, but the shee is a little more fun overall, because of the rush of the two stroke engine. But it is also a little harder to ride because of its lack of suspension compared to the ds.

I love them both, if a long desert ride was in order the baja would be the choice, but if I want the rush then the shee is it.

I have to say though, between the raptor and the shee I would pick the shee anyday. Just my two cents no flames please.

Bat

Old 08-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer

i had toomeys on my banshee and now i have cpi inframes. to me, the cpi's pull harder, look better, and sound better. if i couldnt get cpi's, i would choose toomeys next.
my cpi's fit fine, my mods are
coolhead, 19cc domes
ported cylinders
pyramid reeds
35mm mikuni flatslides
k&n clamp on filters
cpi pipes
ims hotrods and welded crank
wiesco pistons
prodesign intakes
custom painted frame and plastic
more, but i cant remember everything
between my banshee and ds 650, my banshee is faster. im not finished with it yet, i have a stock set of cylinders im sending to grand river racing for a big bore and drag porting.

Old 08-04-2002, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the input, I am shopping for the cpi inframes now. I am pretty sure that is what I will get, unless I cannot find them anywhere. They seem to sell out quick.

I am still unsure of what intake system to do, I will not be getting ported until winter time probably. Unless I can find some cylinders to send off like you.

I am also not sure whether to get a cool head or have the stocker milled.

What do you think of the v force reeds? I have heard good things about them also.

Thanks
Bat

Old 08-04-2002, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I think I saw K&T selling them for 440. www.ktperformance.com They're in Roy, Utah..

Old 08-05-2002, 02:44 AM
Range Rover

I live in utah and cpi pipes are made in utah by mike hair. I have talked to alot of guys at sand mountain(utah) that say that the cpi pipes are only good for top end and they will hurt a non ported banshee they are claming 8rwhp over toomeys and they said if you banshee is not ported and set up for top end then go for the toomeys. I run the v-force on my R and my friend runs the v-force on his banshee and they made a HUGE difference on his banshee. Personally i like the k&n's for the sand the prodesign for the mx and i don't like the toomey 2 into 1 my friend has it on his banshee and it restricks the air more than the clamp on's do.

Old 08-05-2002, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

My playbike has Pro-circuits, TT bike has toomeys. They are about the same pipe, but the T-5's make a little more top end power. I am looking at the CPI's for the TT bike which is ported. I am told that if your cylinders aren't hogged out for major drag racing, the CPI's aren't what you need. The t-5 makes a good wide powerband with usable power all the way through. Lots of times, this means more than the extra 8 peak horsepower, especially on TT. I am still up in the air on this and am having a hard time deciding whether or not to chance $450 on the CPI's.

The playbike has the pro-design flange with foam filter and no lid. If I was doing it again, I would go with the pro design flange w/ K&N/no lid. Definetly run a outwear. It reduces the amount of filter cleaning required.

Reeds: aftermarket uses dual stage which varies flow to engine needs. I took FTZ my stock cages and had them modded with new carbon fiber reeds installed. It made my non-ported playbike come alive. The mods cost $115 w/new reeds and works very well. I did this to both banshees. I have friends that run the V-force with good results, but we have never swapped for comparison.

I have the Trinity stage 4 head on the playbike (was on there when I bought it), but I opted to have my stock head recut for race gas for the tt bike. You will probably only change domes once in the bikes life if even, and that doesn't offset the initial cost in my opinion.

Things I will do to any other banshee as soon as I buy it:
Modify shift star (and locktite the bolt because I have seen many back out) greatly helps shifting. Install Yz490 clutch springs, much better clamping power over stock. Pro-design high flow impeller, increases water flow. JL water pump cover, lets you drain coolant without removing cover which keeps you from having to buy a new gasket. Stainless steel bolt kits from Hy-tech-atv.com, won't corrode so you don't break them trying to remove clutch/stator covers, plus they are allen style instead of "strip me" phillips. Pour in water wetter or use one of the new high performance coolants to keep temp down. Add Energy Release to the tranny.

If you start adding power, the stock rear tires will have their limits. You will spin them through sixth gear on normal dirt.

Old 08-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

The dyno I saw was on a ported bike, so it is not the same as stock. But the lower part of the curve was identical to the toomey, but after about 6000 rpm it started rising above the toomey and the cpi had about 7 more peak hp and pulled a bit longer also.

I have heard that on stock bike they are not much different then toomey, but after porting they rock even harder.

I am pretty sure I will be getting those, but they are kind of hard to find. I even called them direct and they wont have them ready for like 2 weeks.

argh!!!!!!

Anyway thanks for the info.

Bat

Old 08-05-2002, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

If I was gonna do a mod the first thing I would do is pipe it, because in my opinion you need to "smooth out that powerband" the Banshee has lacked a smooth powerband for nearly 15 years,if you are looking for torque stay with the stock pipes, NO aftermarket pipe puts out the torque numbers as hihg as stock.

Before you pipe on my "must have" list is an after marker air-filter, remember anything is better than stock, if it was me I wouldn't go with K&N, I think they suck for dusyt conditions, I'd go with Pro Design with mounting plate.

Best Pipes: Stock HP=41.2

1. FMF SST: Max HP 44.9 These pipes were named "most user friendly" they have a definate bottom-end increase, the power-band comes on a little later than stock, but has a very nice climb to peak HP. These pipes refuse to fall untill 9,000 RPM. With the combination of Powercore silencers give these pipes a nice growl that is slightly louder than stock. Instalation is a snap.

2. Gradon Pro-Line: Max HP 45.4 The GP system is peaky. The power comes late. At 7,500 RPM, the power comes on strong, untill the 9,000 RPM limit, the power band is really ind the uppers of the revs. Instalation is easy, like most pipes a matter of finding the correct angles. The sound is meaty, and louder than stock.

3. LRD: Max HP 45.6 The LRD system ranks near the top, besider being a great improvement LRD thrown in a twist- real tunability. For those guys lucky enough to have a Dyno in there garage, with a simple turn of a bolt can give you hourd of tuning fun. Turn the bold one way (increase the chamber volume) you gain top-end, turn it the other way (decrease the chamber volume) you gain bottom-end.
the LRD system really flattened thepowerband to give the rider an alley of power to work with. The fit of the LRD system was ideal, and offerem ample clearencr near the front frame section. Sound is close to stock.

4. Pro Circuit Platinum: Max HP 45.9 The Platinum pipes have an amazing powerband that lasts from 2,000 RPM all the way till 9,000 RPM a little dip at 7,000 RPM, but not enough to notice. These pipes really like to rev, the power comes on real quick making for a good MX pipe. The platinum pipes combined with the factory sound silencers for a nice louder than stock. Fit is average, must be in a good mood to instal these pipes.

The real object of pipes is to flatten the powerband, "make it smooth". combine the pipes above with porting, air-box, cylinder, hear, and you will see huge gains. A GOOD port job will gan up to 10hp, and that doesn't include pipes.

Quick Reply: Banshee owners, cpi or toomey and more mod ???