Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Weekend adventure with a couple of friends (grizzzzzzzzzzly) :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friday, I took a guy that is from Marquette originally (now a troll..hehe) for a nice little ride. Went about 80 miles? i guess. Neadless to say...i had to winch his POS griz (because of the blackwater tires, lol) and a big bear out of da muck. They just couldnt HANG with the frogman! hehe

We had a good time (thanks MK for going).

BUT, on Saturday....took a family ride from Ishpeming to Republic. Clocked around 80 miles on this trip too. Road with a Wolvy, another griz, TRX 125?, and a scrambler 4x4. We had some younger riders with us and really didnt want to hit all that much mud. Even so, ended up pulling the others threw. Here is the kicker....i was just backing up on the top of a sand pit to turn around and the rear tire went up on a ledge. You can probably guess what happened.....ROLLED IT!!

Of all the places to roll the bike...i had to be in the only area that had BIG rocks all-over the place. I landed on my tailbone, HARD!!! Took me quite a while just to get up. Knocked the wind out of me...that's how hard i hit. After getting up, i was trying to figure out what rock i landed on. It hurt SOOOO bad...that i thought the rock was STILL cram'd up my A*S!!! lol

I can tell ya one thing....the plastic on this griz is awsome. Every time that i have rolled/flipped this bike, i have never broke the plastic. It just bends and then "pops" back into place. There is a slight discoloration but nothing that you would notice unless you were looking for it.

The only comment that was made was: "No wonder you only have ONE leg!" LMAO

Jonathan

Old 08-18-2002, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

hell buddy. with all the stuff you go through, i'd be glad you still have the remaining leg, lmao!!! for that matter, any arms, a spine, or even a brain case, heehee. glad to hear you didn't break you *** to hard, lol. if you look in the mirror, i bet you broke it though!!! just look for a long crack right down the center!!! heehee.

my pictures

Old 08-18-2002, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes the ride was a great one... lots of mud, some water and some fast riding all mixed in there. It was really going great right up to the point that I had to turn around to save your ***. Good thing I came back to get you and fix your POS, and to think all I had to do was open your gas cap and let a little air in, gheesh you'd think after putting so many miles on a machine a guy would figure these things out! hehehe Though my first thought was that you got water into the carb after you sat the machine in that river up to the spark plug to give it a bath for 35 minutes. And I might add that the only time I needed a little winching was when I tried to make a new path through that hole which only 40+ inch tired trucks have made it through, I was quite proud of my $100 Blackwaters, cept for that bad wobbling thing at high speeds that makes it feel like the machine is gonna capsize, oh well. hehe I am planning a return trip soon.

FYI, my machine is running better now that I took the in-line fuel filter off. I have a lot more response from the off-throttle position to 3/4 throttle. My valves may still need to be looked at though. If you remember I was commenting that I was getting better response out of the machine from 3/4 to full than I was from off to 3/4. I think the fuel filter may have been partly to blame for this by not allowing enough fuel to flow, maybe.

Old 08-19-2002, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Mlyan,

I could see where the filter would be a problem. As i said....next time you come up, for a ride or not, bring the bike and we will adjust the valves. I am going to dealer tomarrow to see about that wrench! Also, i am putting a new bumper/grill in the bike....lol

Ron....lmao, you will just have to wait and see what YOU have left after you come up for a REAL ride!!!! hehe

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!

Jonathan

Old 08-20-2002, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey MAK660, love the work you did to your side panels. Does it help alot with the vapour lock problem? Did you design the artwork or did you buy the pattern somewhere. I haven't rode my bike alot yet and haven't had a vapour lock, but figure it will happen to me sooner or later.

Old 08-20-2002, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

The only ACTUAL vapor LOCK that i have had....was from the vent tube to the gas cap getting clogged. It vapor locked the gas from reaching the carb and the bike wouldnt start. I thought that i had got water in the engine and tranny from sitting in the river up to the seat and washing the bike off for 30-40 minutes. But that wasnt the case. Once up on the bank, took the gas cap off, blew through the tub, and started the bike right up.....of course that happened after alot of sweeting and wondering if i was going to camp out in the woods that night!

We took the sparkplug out and it was bone dry. Took the screw off the bottom of the bowl on the carb and only a little gas came out. Took the gas cap loose and the gas started flowing out of the hole in the bottom of the carb. New then it was the gas cap for sure. That is the first time it ever happened to me. And THAT is a true vapor lock.

I think what most of these guys are calling vapor lock is actually the sputtering that they incounter on their bikes while under great load. The bike is usually hot and could have steam around the engine as well.
My bike does not sputter anymore. The things that i have done to correct it are....side panel vents, dielectric grease in the spark boot, and KEEP THE BIKE TUNED RIGHT. The valves are the biggest problem on the bike. They have to be adjusted and people dont like that. I personally dont mind adjusting the valves to have the BEST bike on the market. Its not a hard job and takes about an hour to do.

Jonathan

Old 08-20-2002, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Like I previously said, this problem has never happened to me.The bike is brand new(190km or aprox. 120 miles) and hasn't been for it's first (and only) dealer servicing.I will have him check the valves at that time. The only problem so far is the winch won't freewheel( Iknow what the problem is: will have the dealer fix it under warranty) and it doesn't seem to have any power in reverse, which I think I can fix with a reverse override bypass switch.

Old 08-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found a design of a paw I saw on the internet that I liked and then modified it a lot to look like what you see now. I haven't encountered too many problems with my machine either, I did it as more of a preventative measure. I believe that all that heat has to go somewhere other than being couped up under all that plastic. I do sputter in water if steam goes into my air intake, would love to see Yamaha come up with a fix for that one. The heat that is released isn't really that bad either, unless you were to be riding in shorts and held your legs against the openings or your son/daughter was riding in front of you. I actually kind of like the heat coming out of the hole, especially when riding at night or when it got colder, kind of like having a heater on the machine, hehe. I have experienced sputtering while the machine was very buried in deep mud, I'm talking to the point that I didn't really expect to get out anyway and had to be winched out, (shhhh don't let that go to Frogman's head) I had the tires so buried in tight, glue like organic like muck I wouldn't ever expect a less than 50hp machine to ever turn mudder tires over in it anyway. If that did go to Froggy's head I can just remind him who had to get his bike started for him when he had vapor lock anyway, LOL. BUT his vapor lock was from his vent tube to his gas tank being clogged, not due to over heating/boiling gas issues. So to more directly answer your question, I can't really say it will solve a vapor lock issue, as I have never experienced it anyway. But venting all that heat could only help this machine or any machine.

As Johnathon says, I think keeping your valves adjusted properly is crucial to having the machine run well. That is sort of a pain, but you couldn't GIVE me another machine for free that would make me get rid of this one. There isn't another machine out there that has it all like the Grizzly does in my opinion.

Don't know if this helps, but that's my story.

Old 08-22-2002, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Mylan,

when are you coming back up? I want to show you the "real" trails now! I just took you on a teaser....lol

I have been cutting rough tracks behind my house and found the perfect BEAR hunting spot. There is an old select cut area that is just over-ran with rasberries. has a nice hill and a large alley for shooting. I am stoked to get this big'n that has been going through the yard!

Let me know.....

PS: just in case you are up this weekend.....we are having a campfire friday and saturday evening.

Jonathan

Old 08-23-2002, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Me and the wife (no kids maybe??) are gonna be up at camp Labor Day weekend. I think we are gonna be bringing our neighbors also, the one who just broke his collar bone and 2 ribs while sharpening his Raptor endo/over-the-handle-bar/OUCH!-that-hurts! crash landing skills a few weeks back. It was definately one of those stunts gone bad, way bad. You shoulda been there and we coulda put your highly trained medic skills to good use and pushed his collar bone back to gether there on the spot instead of him playing gimp for a month now, LOL (I only say this cause he reads this forum) Yeah you GIMP! j/k I'm not sure if he is planning on bringing his machines or not? Nonetheless, we should be at camp for the weekend. Maybe you and the wife could drop by our camp site one night? I'll give you a call as that weekend approaches to see what your gonna be up to.

Quick Reply: Weekend adventure with a couple of friends (grizzzzzzzzzzly) :)