Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What aftermarket part was a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 11:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you buy that turned out to be worthless?? My quad is 100 percent stock so i have not bought anything. I did order a rear sprocket that i never installed. I had it made from sidewinder for big $$$$

Old 08-21-2002, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

14mins, thanks to all of the good info from these forums I have yet to pay money for something that was a dud.

For my Banshee things that I think were a particularly good investment were:

ProDesign megaflow water pump impeller. I have a temp gauge and have noticed significant reductions in temps from this.

Chain slider (forget who makes it). My stock roller wore out pretty quick after I put on a smaller front sprocket. The chain slider is getting pretty worn but it has been on almost 3 years.

Cheng Shin Dune Hopper paddles. For half the cost of the Haulers (which I already have) these things are tough and provide decent hook-up - a great low budget straight paddle for sure.

Probably the least bang for the buck that I bought was the ProDesign coolhead. With the smaller domes it really helped my low-end power but it did absolutely nothing for cooling. I knew that when I bought it but I wanted the ability to change domes as the need arises.

Now that I think about it, the Boyeseen reeds make no noticeable difference whatsoever. I can't tell a difference between them and stock reeds and I have switched back and forth a couple of times.

Old 08-21-2002, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Sand Shark tires- Supposedly an econmoical Sand Skate II. Sold them after one ride, just did'nt hook up. I am now much happier with my X-treme Haulers![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2002, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Banshee boost bottle. Bought it from a friend for $50. It came with a free set of Toomey T-3's though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

My good investments (all on my play banshee):
Moose quick adjust clutch and Terrycable cable. This setup seems as smooth as hydraulic even with the YZ490 springs.
Pro-design impeller and Engine Ice. I know it helped but don't have a temp gauge. Did these at different times and both dropped temp.
Milled reed cages with carbon Boyesen reeds. Worth every penny.
Motion Pro throttle kit to get rid of the stock caps. I can now sync the carbs and set my idle. Noticeable increase in power do to the carbs being in sync.
Works shocks. PC pipes.
Modified shift star (Haven't missed a shift since). 490 springs, clutch hooks hard now.
The engine ice is probably one of the best values. This stuff is awesome.

Old 08-21-2002, 12:41 PM
RIP Dear Friend

14mins,

I used to mod the dirtbikes that I owned in the past.

Since I got into quads in 1998 they have all been left stock.

When dirtbikes really improved in the nineties I stopped doing anything to them.

Lets just take a 98 Honda CR250 for example. I mean unless your a pro racer why mod the bike. Its scary fast right off the showroom floor.

I think its a waste of money to mod out a new dirtbike or quad. I can't even go as fast now as they come off of the showroom floor.

I have learned to use the machine (100 percent stock) as it left the factory and have had better reliability and less break downs and have spent a lot less money.

Chet

Old 08-21-2002, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

The Almighty CT pipe thing. The CT pipe was worthless. I lost HP on that one. Cost me a Grand. F**Kers anyway. I would'nt let CT Lick the Sweat from my nuts if they were dyin of thirst. Same goes for DirtWheels, yellow journalism at it's finiest.

Old 08-21-2002, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Barnett clutch plates [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
I had Sand Skate II's on my stock bike and they were too agressive. I sold them.
Now I have a 686 and have to go buy another set of Sand Skate II's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Someone armorall'd my seat once [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] I sprayed chain lube down his *** crack! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2002, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

Anything chrome is a waste - but, that's just my opinion. If it doenst make it faster, handle better, or more reliable, save your $$.

Old 08-21-2002, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

<< My quad is 100 percent stock so i have not bought anything >>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
That statement wins the ATV Connection BU!!**** award for the year 2002!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2002, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

<< Now that I think about it, the Boyeseen reeds make no noticeable difference whatsoever. I can't tell a difference between them and stock reeds and I have switched back and forth a couple of times. >>

Actually, there is some difference...I was suprised. Maybe not on Wyoduner's quad cause he's got a crap load of other stuff, but on a stock Banshee they do.

When my Banshee was bone stock it was quicker on take off then my buddies 2001 w/ a K&amp;N, and dead even top end (Honestly DEAD EVEN).

He stuck a set of Boyeseen reeds in it. It costed him like $50 I think. Anyway we raced the next weekend. I could still get him on take off, but he was faster top end. Again, the reeds were the only difference.

He didn't blow me out of the water, and if we were flying down a road where you had to speed up and slow down we probably wouldn't even have noticed, but on a long flat paved surface he had an advantage.

The next weekend I had my full pipes on the old Banshee and I can spank him pretty bad now. I would guess that his reeds gave him about 2-3mph (believe it or not), and my Pipes are at least that much faster than him now, so I probably gained like 4-6 overall (I did not remove my snorkel).

As far as worthless mods...I have not tried it, but a lot of times people say the boost bottle.

Personally, judging from my own experience...Don't expect any speed gains from a K&amp;N filter. I don't think many people do, but I eventually come across people who think that it will run like a new machine with one.

-Josh

Quick Reply: What aftermarket part was a waste of money?