Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

cutin up the air box

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago, and it was stated to be 200. Pretty cool...Here I am, stuck at home on a Saturday. Can't ride today, but keep getting better with each post. If I worked at it a little today, I think I could go by the 200 mark, and become a pro rider right in my own house. Man, I am frickin bored today. This sucks...I need to ride bad. Buddy already picked up my pipe, and I'm waiting on my new yosh to show up. Can't ride until then. Started it up once with no pipe, just to see how loud it was...man, that's a good way to get the cops out here! lol.

Old 08-24-2002, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

What a waste of a good thread.. they should just do away with pro-rider alltogether, kids just start 200 useless "which is faster" posts to get "pro-rider" anyway.. damn corndogs

Old 08-24-2002, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

I have my airbox all cutup from my DMC pipe. I'm not sure how it's gonna work out when I put the yosh pipe on next week. I'll let you know how it comes out...

Warrior007 - WTF are you talking about?

Old 08-24-2002, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

WTF cares how many posts it takes to get to trailblazer or pro rider is WTF I am talking about. Sorry you didnt get my drift.

Old 08-24-2002, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

From looking at the thread below:

How Many Posts

about 151 views, and/or people that were curious (cared)...But you are right, it was off topic for this thread.

So, while we're talking about airboxes. I went down and ordered a new lid today. The DMC had called for a 3 3/4" and a 2 1/2" hole (don't quote me on that, it's the dimensions I remember off the top of my head). I think the yosh setup calls for a couple 1" or 1 1/2" holes, and no snorkel (since I haven't gotten the install instructions, I might be wrong. Some of you with yosh pipes installed, please feel free to jump in and correct this). I have the pro-design pro flow adapter with k&n. Anyone use the outerwears with that with much luck in muddy or wet conditions. I'm trying to figure out if I need to go with a full lid this winter. It's wet, muddy, and snow for part of the year. I'm not going to be submerging my scooter, but water and mud does fly a lot. Thanks...

Old 08-24-2002, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

You may be right, my buddy chimmer had cut holes in his lid originally when he got the yoshi and he kept going bigger and bigger every ride until he had no lid! now the last time we rode he had no back on the airbox (seems like some kind of air box disease to me!? LOL)

He put that outerwears material over the back and top, secures with velcro. seems to work pretty good, I rode it and you can hear the airbox sucking air. WE havenet had any rain (at all) so not sure about the water/mud

Old 08-24-2002, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

there is some stuff i'm gonna try called "natural aire". it's foam filter material for window unit air conditioners. it's not expensive. i'm gonna cover the holes with this and see if it helps. i'm sure it will slow the air but i've tried no lid and it is just too much trouble to get the jetting on. this quad just always felt sronger with the lid on anyway. minus all the lag that might be from "turbulence"?.

Old 08-24-2002, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, same problem with chimmers raptor, except for down low I think he has it dead on now, he went really fat up top.. Down low he has just a hair less power than my stocker though.

Old 08-25-2002, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, if it might help any of yall, I have a full yoshi exhaust, proflow billet with k&n and outerwear, and a dynojet kit installed. I run my bike with no Airbox. It runs flawlessly. I could call the shop that did the jetting and have them refresh my memory on what they put in there if it would help.

Old 08-25-2002, 02:27 AM
Trailblazer

dealer gave me the wrong size jets.(large slotted instead of small slotted)should have taken one with me.another 3 days down.went ahead and odered a k&n filter and outerwear.good question Bluerules, i was wondering the same thing, mud & water and a k&n with outerwear.i take it easy through the streams but in the spring & fall the mud flies.Mrmonk,i will take all the help i can get.im not brave enough yet to run with out the box but you never know.bike has been down a week now, went from a proflow foam (never been used) to a k&n (thats on order) is this a sickness or a disease? making mod changes while its not evan running. getting low on money,must slow down.

Quick Reply: cutin up the air box