Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cam info!

Old 08-26-2002, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

It is late and I was getting ready to turn in, but have just a few quick things to add and will add more tomorrow.

Just for comparison views, look at what the DS uses for race cams. The lift and duration is ALOT more then any of the WebCams. Compare the specs of the #737 (largest available by Web, outside of very custom) WebCam to the Pami Race Cams, BIG difference in lift and duration. Even the other cams available for the DS offer quite a bit more lift and change in duaration.

I run a very similar cam to the #737 in my big bore Rap and it is a good fit for my aplication (all around riding), but for drag racing a bigger cam is a must. The bottom end on my Rap with the similar #737 cam is very good, but I also bumped up the compression quite a bit too. This 737 cam is by no means a top end cam though, just ask a few others that use it.

Bigger cams are needed for the Rap, especially if you think you are going to compete on the same level as some of the better built DS's, no question.

It is late and I have to cut this short, but will give some new and other insight tomorrow.

Good post subject RaptorRRC!!!!

Old 08-26-2002, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Bob, You need to look into the Megacycle cams a bit. You'll find out that you will have to come up with your own grind #'s to suit your needs and have them grind to your own spec. Where I think alot of these cam companies drop the ball(on Raptors) is on their lobe center and duration.
It took almost 14 different lobe center grinds to get the "TUNED" Raptor right. It's a process to say the least. I don't believe theres a such thing as an off the shelf drop in perfect cam.

Old 08-26-2002, 03:35 AM
Range Rover

Since cam grinds are specific to what you plan to do with the quad, what would you guys recommend to do or use for open desert riding and duning as a single cam or two different cams used. motor is stock other than the bolt-on aftermarket goodies. How hard is it to change a cam and dial it in? Thanks

Old 08-26-2002, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

skratchnbuldg..if you want a good cam..I'd reccomend the webcam 696/697. This is the cam I run and it does really well against pretty much anything. It seems to have good low and top end...not just one or the other.

Old 08-27-2002, 02:44 AM
Range Rover

RaptorRcR, Thanks for the advise on the cam. Can this cam be installed with a little know how or should I leave this up to a mechanic? I like to do everything myself to learn and to know why, and what is going on. Thanks, Skratchnbuldg (Charlie)

Old 08-27-2002, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

If you've never done a cam swap before..jut take your time and get an extra set of hands to help. It's not difficult at all..just triple check everything and you should be ok.

Old 08-27-2002, 03:07 AM
Range Rover

Thank You! I apprciate your help. Hopefully the service manual and some car buddies and can assist. Skratchnbuldg[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2002, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider

What's up with your post RRC? Decided your topic was?

Anyway.....

Old 08-27-2002, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

I just wanted to reword the subject. I am in the process of varifying some more facts.

Quick Reply: 686 raptor???