Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I want a web page/site??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 03:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THEMOSSE-

When I go there I get this message saying... Service has been temporarily suspended due to exceeded bandwidth.. LOL. 14 MINS, if you have DSL and Windows 2000 or XP, buy a cheap domain name and set it up yourself, its really easy. I was going to go to college for wed development, but chose to take networking instead. I am willing to help in anyway I can.

Mike

Old 08-27-2002, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

Yea if I keep getting as many hits as I am I'm gonna have to buy more bandwidth!!
Check back later if your still up or try again tomorrow.
I still got a lot of work to do on it but it's getting there!

Old 08-27-2002, 06:36 AM
Pro Rider

14mins and anyone else who wants to, you are welcome to send me any of your pics or info you would like to see on the web. I am always looking for content, and with all you people chipping in, Im sure WE could create one of the best ATV sites on the web. I have a privately hosted domain, so therefore no space limits. This way we can create our own site with what we want to see. Send videos, reviews, tech info ANYTHING atv related of course.
If you want, feel free to send naked pics of your girlfriends on your quads [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] he..ehehe.e..he
My site has been going for 1 year now, and has had 100 000 hits already.

If you want to send me stuff, PM me and I'll send you my e-mail addr.

Later Y'all
(Geez...Im hanging out with you Americans too much!)

Old 08-27-2002, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

14mins, I started out with the free host but quickly found that the ads and limited space and bandwidth were'nt going to work. I went to a regular hosting service that offers unlimited space and bandwidth for $5 a month. Cheap yes, but I have had more downtime and slow transfers than I would like. I will be shopping for a new host soon. You can start out free but if you start getting much traffic or want to post large files like videos you will want a regular web host. There are some forums you can search through to help with that.

I use Macromedia Dreamweaver to build my pages. It is a lot more capable than I am and it never gave me the problems that Frontpage did. Of course Dreamweaver will cost money if you buy it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I say go for it. I didn't know anything about web page design - and still don't really - but the software makes it pretty easy.

Oh, BTW if anyone is interested the stats for my site an be found at Wyoduner's Web Page Stats

Old 08-27-2002, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Just a quick note...

A lot of ISP's offer a "Free Website" in with there normal monthly plan. However, they only offer you like 5-10mb on average. So, what you do is you create all of your HTML files on your ISP's website they give you, then if you have pictures and/or videos you can host them on a seperate free server that offers more space. Most free webhosts don't want you to do this, but as long as you have an index page on their site there isn't a lot they can do.

One other tip that I can offer is this...REGISTER A DOMAIN NAME. Regarldess of if you go with a free host, or you have a pay service, I would register a domain name seperatly. The reason for this is because you may eventually end up in my boat...My site is hosted through Homestead (which I'm paying for). They are raising their rates and I basically have not need for their service any more. I originally regsitered through them because they have a nice feature that lets you edit your webpages without using HTML. It's simple to use and makes updates a lot easier, but now I have been using Adobe Premiere and Macromedia Dreamweaver MX so I don't need it any more. Anyway, the problem I am facing now, is when my service is cancelled my site won't exsist anymore...it will have a new address. If I would have registered a domain name I could have switched webhosts and my address would have always been the same.

You can register a domain name for a full year for $10...to me it's well worth it.

-Josh

Old 08-27-2002, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Piranha, good points. My web host (who is not very good but they're cheap) registered my domain name for free whn I signed up with them. Later I realized the flay in this. My domain is registered under their company. Not a good thing becasue I have read of people having trouble keeping their domain name when they leave their web hosting company. So, like you said, the thing to do is register your domain name yourself.

Macromedia Dreamweaver kicks butt, huh? I love that program. I wich I had the time to fully learn it. I have fireworks also but don't really use it.

Old 08-27-2002, 12:38 PM
Range Rover

Josh the amount of pop-ups on your site was the thing that led me to stop looking at all your pictures. the pics I did managae to see were pretty sweet I have never really seen a guy go mudding with a banshee then sink it in a river lol

Old 08-27-2002, 12:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I am going to talk to Buttfungus this week end at kermit. Maybe he will get major stuck 10 miles from camp. At that point we will discuss prices etc. Maybe i will have a web page next week or buttfungus will be mia. lol

Old 08-27-2002, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

<< Josh the amount of pop-ups on your site was the thing that led me to stop looking at all your pictures. the pics I did managae to see were pretty sweet I have never really seen a guy go mudding with a banshee then sink it in a river lol >>

Thanks man.

Yeah, the Pop-Ups suck. Like I said, I host my pics on a free server and that's the price you pay. Personally I don't have a lot of trouble with them as I close them when they pop up...I guess this comes from too much time on the internet...a lot of websites have issues like that. They also make programs like &quot;Pop up Stopper&quot; that prevent those idiotic things from coming up.

I had been planning on putting my pictures on a totally different server for a long time, but I have been too lazy. Now that I am going to cancel my Webhost it will give me time to get a new site up and running.

As for the Banshee...yeah, believe it or not those things are awesome on the trails. We get so many comments when we go with the big 4x4's and sometimes go places they can't even go (though we are screwed in the slow going areas with deep mud and stuff).

I took my EX on the trails for the first time last weekend...my god, I don't care for it at all. The torque is nice is some spots, but you really have to be careful climbing hills and stuff. I'd much rather be on the Banshee.

Wyoduner,

Yeah, Dreamweaver is sweet. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface either. I'm the type of person who hates to read instructions, so I strugle with software that is new to me sometimes. If I read the instructions my brain doesn't file it and I have to look it up each time. If I skip the instructions and learn everything on my own I tend to remember most everything.

I also have Adobe GO LIVE webpage software (I mistakenly called it Premiere earlier). It appears easier to use, so I may be switching to it. I'm in to the drag and drop thing and Adobe has more of that.

Take care.

-Josh

Old 08-27-2002, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Hate pop-ups? Try this Pop-up Stopper. I've been pop-up free for over a month now and loving it.