Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Riding 2WD atv on the snowed up roads

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone ever done it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]? With 2WD? (warrior?) You know when it's snowing and the plow trucks are waiting until it stops snowing so there are no cops whatsoever. Do you guys think Blackwater's would be good or bad for it? just thinkin since winter's comin, thanks

Patrick

Old 09-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

The most ive ever done with a 2wd is about 9 inches. the this is no matter how much traction uyou get with your back tires, the snow builds up and packs in front of the front tires. also depends on the snow (wetness, denseness, etc.)

Old 09-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, we do it every winter...it's a lot of fun.

Tire types vary, but we have good luck with the "Chevron" type pattern. I run Dirt Devils, and my buddy with the Warrior does as well. My other buddy with a Banshee runs Cheng-Shin somethings...They have a Chevron type pattern with a few knobbies on them.

My buddy with the Warrior used to have a Banshee with blackwaters on it. It wasn't so bad in the deep snow, but when you get down to only a couple of inches on a hard surface they SUCKED.

I have had the cash to spare, but if I did I'd like to try some Realtors. They say to flip them around for good floatation in snow. If you have the cash you could buy a set of those.

I think there should be some winter shots on my website if you want to take a look. You can also see what type of tires we are running.

-Josh

Old 09-01-2002, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

what about gas stations? (if they're open) did you ever need gas and stop? did they say anything? how deep did the snow have to be for the Blackwater to work well and what did they do in shallow snow? slide or get no traction? just curious, thanks again

Patrick

Old 09-01-2002, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

I ride every winter with my buddies. my brother rides a polaris 2x4 with dirt devil's and my friend rides a stock warrior and another friend has a bayue 2x4 stock and another has a honda recon stock. all of them are 2x4's and on the roads they all run great. the 4x4 makes a difference in the deep snow and off the roads

Old 09-01-2002, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

I rode my Raptor in about 8" of fresh snow (A rarity in OK!!) With the stock tires & it was a blast!! I was sliding like a WRC car!! Pitch it early & let it rip!!
A word of caution, If you bust a lot of drifts or ride with someone who roosts you make sure you clear your Radiator on a water cooled quad. It can pack up quickly & overheat!! Make sure your chain is lubed with a good wax.

Old 09-01-2002, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

warrior350megamax, i am from nj too. i have seen a blaster(before i started riding)going pretty well in the snow we have around here. i would advise you not to stop at a gas station and what not since the cops in NJ are pretty anti-quad riding. im not sure how it is in hope but here in rockaway twp it is pretty strict on the rules, which was a pretty big reason for me to sell mine.

Old 09-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

We went hillbilly sledin behind my warrior last winter when an airplane dropped flour over my buddies land, (I no it couldnt be snow in texas could it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]!!) Anyways i did alright w/ the razrs but when I got on it it slid back and forth like no other.

Old 09-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Havnt rode my warrior in the snow yet but have rode a recon on the rode in the snow. i stoped at a gas station up the rode and got gas, i had no problem at all but i ride the rode and get gas even without the snow. i guess i shouldnt but nobody here cares.

Old 09-02-2002, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

yea I think the area you live in verys on how strick the patrol is I would just make sure you are regestered and possible insured!

Quick Reply: Riding 2WD atv on the snowed up roads