Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

-Plastic Renew Kit-

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys i just wanna let u know i bought one of those plastic renew kits from dennis kirk and put it on......... I worked great its worth so much more than 15 bucks. a must have for that old dull plastic. just thought ide let ya know.

--------------------------
88 Warrior
Red/White/Black
Pro Circuit T-4
K&N AirBox Removed- Custom tube kit
Redone Plastics
Dunlop Pro Brake pads
DG Alloy Nerfs
Fresh Rebuild On Motor

Old 09-02-2002, 09:58 PM
Range Rover

what is this? how bout a link!

Old 09-02-2002, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Plastic Renew has been around for quite some time,it doesn't really shine the plastic,it coats it with a clear film.Looks good for a while,but it can crack and wrinkle over time,and if you spill gas on it,it will bubble and haze up,and you will need to redo it. You can wet sand with very fine paper and buff out the haze,and it will be the fenders real surface,not a coating.Takes more work,but is more durable.I would use the renew kit on something to clean it up to sell, but for a daily use quad,it will wear loose the nice look pretty quick.

Old 09-03-2002, 11:35 PM
Range Rover

good selling stragety but I kinda follow you on the long term time verse quality thing, but who really cares how these things look, they just have to run good and fast!

Old 10-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Range Rover

FYI: The solution that comes with the kit is just clear acrylic lacquer (water soluable). You can buy the stuff at any craft store. I bought the kit from Dennis Kirk, too and I'm going to return it. I just know that acrylic lacquer (paint) just isn't going to hold up over time and will come off with certain soaps and especially gasoline. You also have to sand, and sand, and sand your fenders with different grades sand paper which is tedious and not worth the time involved. If I had a motorcycle I would recommend this stuff. Simply because there's not nearly as much sanding to do due to the small fenders. But on a quad, that's a lot of surface area to cover. So I'm just going to live with my dull fenders. Maybe I'll get lucky the next time I ride and crack them in half. Then I'd have to buy new ones!!

!*mr.bones!*

Old 10-02-2002, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

The plastic Renew does work, but it is a pain on quad fenders. I spent 4 hours on the rears and almost 5 hours on my fronts. That was on my old 400ex. Def. not worth the time. Just buy new fenders. But, it works great on a motorcycle like Bones said.

Old 10-02-2002, 08:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just noticed this Thread and wanted to know if anyone out there heard of a wax that takes scuff marks off the quad fenders?? I have kids that climb on there bikes and have black scuff marks on the rear fenders of their bikes. I heard from someone that there is a wax you can buy that takes it right off but havent heard specifically what brand and where to purchase it. Anyone know??