Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tips on Launching

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, for all you drag racers out there, can you give me some tips on how to get off the line good. I've never owned a machine with a manual clutch, however, I can ride them pretty well. I seem to have difficulty getting off the line very well, though. This is just "play" racing between me and my buddies, for now anyway[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. My friend has a Raptor that I piped, jetted, and put a Pro Flow intake on for him. This thing runs pretty damn good. My other buddy has a piped, jetted 400ex. Yes, the Raptor will eat the EX, however, the EX gets off the line a little better than I do. Same results when we switch quads. I either wheelie up or let out too fast with not enough throttle and the motor bogs, then hits. It seems like it would be best to start off in 2nd, which is what I try to do, but I seem to get off a little better in 1st and just ease into it. On the trails, neither can keep up with me, doesn't matter which machine I'm on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img], however the drags are different, and I know it's all in my lauch. Yeah, go ahead, call me novice and that I suck. But, hey! I'm learning and I'll give you guys some competion one of these days(after I get a faster machine for myself that is)! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Can any of you help me out and maybe give me some pointers?

Old 09-03-2002, 12:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Stebob- bolt on a 14 front sprocket, rev to 3500 rpm. set up on the tank let her rip. You have to balance between wheelie up and spinning tires. NEVER let off the gas or you will lose that round. Most of the time our wheels on not on the gound untill the 300 ft mark. I do not mind the wheels off the gound as long as not more that 12 inches.

A good launch and you just squirt out of the hole.

Old 09-03-2002, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

there are alot of variables to launching. the type of terrain your on matters. some of the tracks i drag at are so "hard packed" that you can spin the tires over pretty well. on the line i can rev up pretty good and just let her rip and not worry about wheelies. so pay attention to that. on the other end of the spectrum there's the dirt that will snag some traction and throw you on your butt.
also the new cam i put in is great for starts. it's more of a mid range cam. the raptor's stocker has such low end umph that it's very difficult to launch. having this cam makes it easier to come off the line then really lay into it. so setting up the machine to fit your style is a must.
just practice, practice, practice. learn the machine and learn to recognize the dirt you can get away with launching hard on. huh, huh. he said hard on.
some tires are better for launching. if your not over powered some slightly worn tires can spin off the line predictably. but, on a quad like mine i need alot of traction all the way down the track.
so just get to know the machine and everything else should fall into place.

Old 09-03-2002, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys!

Is a 14 1 tooth up? Yeah, I know about that letting off stuff. Had to do that several times because the front end is just too high up. Do you power shift or use the clutch everytime. I've been using the clutch everytime, but my friend on the EX says he power shifts and that I should, too. Well, since the Rappy is not mine, I'm not too sure about that. Also, I'm leaning up over the tank. Do you mean actually get my butt up high on the seat, basically sitting on the tank?

Old 09-03-2002, 12:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Stebob- 1 thooth up, and climb up on the tank. You have to learn the balance between wheel spin and whilie up.

Old 09-03-2002, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I'll see if I can talk him into 1 tooth up. Don't think that'll be a problem. Do you drop the clutch or feather it out? I don't mind wheelie's it just that the terrain, I guess, is not allowing too much wheel spin, just front end comes up immed. Do the stock tires such or what? It doesn't slide around corner's too good either. I have to be WAY off the seat to get it to slide and not 2 wheel.

Old 09-03-2002, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

Play with your tire pressure to find a good comprimise between hook & spin.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Tire pressure! Didn't think much about that. I'm assuming more air, less bite?!

What gear to ya'll usually start off with? Think I should use 1st or 2nd?

Old 09-04-2002, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Yea if you pump them up a bit you can find a setting that gives a little wheel spin at launch & still hooks up good. Don't go to high though or you'll spin the whole way!

What gear you launch with depends on your weight. I launch in 1st on sand because I bogg in 2nd.