Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 400 4x4 or Wolverine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 01:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to buy one of these two quads to add to my fleet. I have always wanted a Wolverine, but I have been looking at the Kodiak and liking the fact that it has better mud protection (floorboards, more fender protection) and the ability to come out of 4 wheel drive. However I like the looks of the Wolverine, the fact that its relatively light and somewhat sporty. I guess my questions are the following:

1) How does the Kodiak ride, which handles bumps etc. better, also which would feel lighter on its feet. I guess my main concern is that the Kodiak will be your typical utility type ride. I'm looking for a sport/utility type ride, something that can handle the occassional small jump etc. I don't want feel like I'm driving dead weight with a motor attached if you know what I mean.

2) How will the two compare in steering, is the Wolverine going to be a lot harder to steer because it cannot come out of 4 wheel drive.

3) Will either one be better than the other in mud and snow.

4) How well with the Kodiak automatic transmission hold up. Any problem with belts etc.

Thanks for any input you can give me in advance.

Old 09-11-2002, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

In my opinion the Wolverine is the one you want from those 2....the kodiak is a great machine but it is more utility oriented than the wolverine..and it appears that you want a more sporty ride....you will get dirty on the wolverine, but that's half the fun!!...as for speed, i think the wolverine is faster topend, but for work it MAY be geared a little too high....but it is sportier and lighter on its feet, and that appears to be what you're looking for...as for steering, it is not as bad as you would expect a 4x4 to be...just my opinion, hope it helps.

Old 09-11-2002, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Hi there
Now here's my opinion on the matter. I own a 02 Kodiak an the newest Wolv... I've driven was a 99.
1.)I found that the ride between the 2 very similar because anything with a swing arm tends to take bumps the same (Unless it ACT suspension or one that bends in all angles). However I don't find the drive rough.

2.) I never found the steering heavy on either one but the turning radius of the Kodiak is amazing. Man that atv can turn sharp. Mine turns sharp enough that it looks like itcan't be to good for the cv shafts.

3.) Personally I like the automatic in the mud because your never in the wrong gear. But my buddy had no problems following me in all terrains. However with the Kodiak you will have to watch out for the belt breather hose in deep water.

4.) I haven't had any problems so far with the belt system. I plow snow with mine, hunt and will tackle any trail out there.

So I wouldn't rule the Kodiak out. It is a very capable atv that should not be ignored. The bottom line is that "Which do you like and which will it suit you needs best."

Old 09-11-2002, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

the kodiak is a work bike that can be riden for play the Wolverine is a play bike that can do light work.
If you want sport the wolvorine is by fat the way to go, it is not a great mud bike b/c of the gearing, if you go more agressive w. tires it has trouble spinning them. I had a wolverine for years and wish that I had kept it, in the woods when it would get slick I could eat up every quad we rode w/ infact if it was going to be slick I left the 400EX home b/c the yam was so much better.
If you work your bike then the lack of low range will be missed but other than that to me it is the best 4x4 sport quad going b/c it is so much lighter than everything else.

Now I wish yam would give us a 500 wolverine w/ 2" more travle all around and keep the live axle b/c I would be the first in line but until then the Woverine can't be beat for pure fun on a 4x4 and yes I have a prarie 650 and rubicon but the wolv in every sport riding situation shot of a drag race is much more fun and cost a bunch less.

Old 09-11-2002, 04:38 PM
Range Rover

The wolverine out of the two, like everyone else said is probably more sporty, I dont know much about the kodiak, so I cant really help you out there. You dont really notice the steering on the wolverine, it doesnt have a real tight turning radius though, you also get pretty muddy with it to, but why buy a quad if you dont want to get muddy, if you want it for work buy the kodiak if want a sporty 4x4 that can handle almost anything buy the wolverine.

Old 09-11-2002, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

About a year ago I was making the same decision.
I went with the Wolverine and have had no regrets.

Old 09-12-2002, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

well buckwheat, it looks like you got a bunch of good semi-reviews here...appear to be honest, and some are from owners of other brands...all appear to have the same opinion....have you decided??...and by the way, i think both are quite reliable machines.

Old 09-12-2002, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

HAVhave you thought about a big bear400 4x4?

Old 09-12-2002, 04:17 PM
Range Rover

I think at this point after reading everyone's opinions and doing some of my own looking around today at a local dealership, I am 99% sure my choice will be the Wolverine. I like how the Wolverine felt when I sat on it more so than the Kodiak. The Wolverine is also lighter which is a big plus to me as well. I sat on the Kodiak and the front end just seemed to big and the seat a little short for my taste. It would probably be a little more difficult to fit the Kodiak through some of the tighter trail's I ride. Feature wise I like the kodiak better, I like the floorboards, 2 and 4 wheel drive capability. I think they are both great looking and I don't think I would regret buying either one, but I mostly do nothing but trail ride so the Wolverine will most likely be what I get. I will probably be going this weekend to pick one up. My main concern was if one was going to be that much better than the other in the mud and especially snow. From what I have been told there is no significant difference there, unless someone here can tell me otherwise. Thanks for all you input, keep them coming if you have anymore, I haven't given the dealer my money yet.

And by the way, yes, I have looked at the Big Bear too. But the way I figured it was, if I was going to get something like the Big Bear I would go with the Kodiak because I liked floor boards and was auto tranny. I also think the Big Bear is geared a little lower and is a little heavier than the Kodiak too.

Old 09-13-2002, 11:11 AM
Range Rover

Well they always say that nothing is %100 certain, and this is a good example. I said yesterday I was %99 sure I would buy the Wolverine, turns out after I actually got to ride them both, I was very pleased with the Kodiak and how it handled. The Wolverine had just a little more feedback in the steering than I wanted. I had my wife drive both too, she initially liked the Wolverine as well, but after she rode both she said now way, get the Kodiak. The Kodiak seemed, at first, like it would be a more a cumbersome machine when I initially sat on it inside another dealers showroom, but I ventured over to another dealer where I could acutally ride the two and I was proven wrong. The Kodiak handled great, both in and out of four wheel drive. It also did not seem as big to me once I got it outside and rode around on it, it seemed very nimble to me. One thing I was unsure of was how I would like the auto tranny, I liked it alot. I especially liked how it was always in the sweet spot of the powerband. The engine braking worked excellent as well. So I got the Kodiak. They threw in a plow too, so I guess now I will be doing a little work with it. I appreciate all the input everyone gave me, they are both nice bikes, but the Kodiak was the best choice for me.

Quick Reply: Kodiak 400 4x4 or Wolverine?