Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HotCam's Stage I or Stage II cam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I wasn't planning on doing any performance upgrades this year but I have to take the head off my 2001 Raptor for the 2nd time so I thought I might as well do some mild engine work.

I will be installing a stock sized 11:1 high comp piston & wanted to install a new cam by Hotcam.
I currently run with no air box lid, jetted mains=165/170, full Yosh exhaust & I really enjoy the mid/top end power it has with that setup. It hits hard & is really fun to ride, especially when racing my buddies.
I do all kinds of riding but I enjoy fast riding on open trails & monster hill climbing in the coal mining country in PA. Obviously you have to ride in tight trails to get where you want to go but I must say I don't enjoy slow/tight/technical riding nearly as much especially when your worn out & tired at the end of the day.

That said, I might come to the conclusion that I would prefer the stage II Hotcam over the stage I.
I called Hotcam's tech support Tony & he said I would be better off with the stage I Hotcam since it would improve performance over the entire RPM range as compared to the stock setup. He said if I took a Dyno before & after the stage I kit I would see an improvement in the power at all rpm's with no noticeable fall off of the top end. He said if I was going to do some porting & install a big bore kit then the higher compression gained would improve the low end enough that I would be better off with the Stage II kit to balance the power band with the top end being emphasized.

Well, I guess I can't go wrong with the Stage I kit but what I am looking for is your opinion.
Does anybody have mild engine work similar to what I plan on doing with the Stage I kit & are you happy with it?

Does anybody have the same mild engine work done & opted for the hotter Stage II kit? Did it take away too much bottom end? Was the power hit too harsh & difficult to ride?

With my current jetting/setup(no airbox lid) I did lose some bottom end & there is a turbulence problem that occurs around 1/4-1/2 throttle that some people say gets cured or at least improves with the 11:1 piston so that said I guess I really can't go wrong with the Stage I kit, maybe I just answered my own question?
Hey thanks for all your help, LOL, comments are still very welcome!

Old 09-13-2002, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

I have the hotcam stage 1 cam on my 02 Raptor. I had it installed after I already had a full GYT-R system and K&N filter and jet kit installed. I thought the cam helped the low end power for sure. It definitely did not hurt the powerband any, a friend of mine rode my Raptor before and after teh cam and liked it so much he ordered one for his Grizzly. In my opinion it's worth the money.

Mitch
02 Raptor
GYT-R full exhaust, blue lightning graphics kit, polished aluminum front bumper, aluminum radiator guard, K&N filter, jet kit, hotcam cam.

Old 09-13-2002, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

The Aledo boys can answer this one

Old 09-13-2002, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

<< The Aledo boys can answer this one >>

LOL..LMAO!!!

I think 14mins has just a few he would probably like to get off his hands!

Chimmer,
You may want to do some homework on cam options.

Old 09-14-2002, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

I found out the Hotcams list price is $139 for either one.
Dennis Kirk sells em for $132, anybody know where to get em for less?

Old 09-14-2002, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

hey man i run the stage 2 in my bike now the stage 2 is for higher rpm more top end stage 1 good all around cam 14mins has both of these cams for sale

Old 09-14-2002, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Chimmer.....I run the HC stage 1, JE 12.1 piston, ported head &amp; full White Bros. R-series exhaust. I ride both tight woods &amp; sand dunes, and I am VERY happy with the performance! The bike is very ridable with power whenever you like! I don't think you would be dissapointed!!!

Old 09-15-2002, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Chimmer, you have already heard some of my 2 cents worth.... I still think you would be happy with the Stage 1 - you can slowly ride around with this cam and then just blip the throttle at anytime and it is instant arm stretching power. It pulls very hard and it never dies off, pulls hard all the way to the top!

Go for it man!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
&quot;TOID&quot;

Old 09-16-2002, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the advice, I have everything I need to do the job myself, cylinder hone &amp; all.
All I need is a new cam, sounds like the Stage I will not dissapoint.
I already have a wiseco 100mm 11:1 wiseco on order, I noticed some of you have the JE high comp piston, are they any better/different than Wiseco?

Old 09-16-2002, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

Chimmer, I got my JE 11:1 for $115, and I got the cam for $135. Some folks say JE is a little better, I have no idea... that's just what I went with tho.

Good luck man!
&quot;TOID&quot;

Quick Reply: HotCam's Stage I or Stage II cam?