Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

please help with blaster!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 12:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok be prepared to read, this will be long.

Ok I just had to rebuild my 99blaster. The whole motor top and bottom end. I had a guy I know do the whole rebuild. Well when I went to pick it up it ran real good. I only put about maybe 5 hours on the motor if that when it started to spit and sputter so I stopped and chaged the plug. It ran good for a while then I was going 4th gear 3/4 throttle when the motor locked up. Took it back to the guy that rebuilt it he said it was my jetting because the motor got hot and locked up but after it cooled it would start. I had my airbox lid off and he said it was getting to much air so he put the lid back on removed the snorkal and put some air vents in and re-jetted. He rebuilt it again. Whole new top end. Had mabey 5 hours on motor
when it was really boggen and just not running right so I shut it off to check compresion bad idea it had none and wouldnt start. Took it back to the same guy he tore the motor down and this time said the rings were baked into the piston with oil everywhere all threw the ring grooves just a mess. He said I mixed my oil wrong. I run 32:1 klotz techplate and I mixed it right. He said I was running to good of an oil for my motor and it just built up and seized the rings. He thought maybe came from tranny nope put in half a quart awhile back on 1st rebuild and drained out half a quart. said it could be filter but I have a kan n air filter with the spray oil and I always let the filter sit over night before I install it. He rebuilt it again now I have it home and im afraid to run it. But I did check the plug and it was black so I dropped the main jet from a 280 to a 270 and the plugs burnen good now so could that be why the rings where seized in the piston. just being alittle rich?

What would cause it to seize the rings in the piston and be all oilly

please help I have know idea What caused it to blow the 3rd time.

Thanks for reading but sorry for being so long.

Old 09-19-2002, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seizing rings because of too much oil sounds like a crock to me!

What mods do you have, and what elevation do you ride?

Just for comparison, we used a 290-300 main jet in our Blaster with a K&N filter (airbox lid removed), and an FMF gold series pipe. We also mixed the gas as the auto oil injector was blocked off.

Spark plug: BR8ES

We ran it at the Oregon dunes at sea level.

We also used Golden spectro mixed at 40:1, and Amsoil 2000 fully synthetic @ 50:1.

Are you using the block off for the auto oil injection?