Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Engine Noises !?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess its not terminal since its been doing it for more than a year with no increase or decrease in loudness. But my engine kinda makes a dull thud thud metal on metal noise as the engine runs. The higher the revs the faster and slightly louder but it dosent get real real loud. Also it seems louder when the clutch is in but that may be just because the engine speeds up. My best guess is that the cam chain tensioner is bad, kinda supported by the fact that the chain slipped at some point in time and the valve timing is 1 or two notches off, I woulda fixed that but it gave me a boat load of topend at the expense of tourqe. So what do yall think? bad valve guide? bad rocker? bad cam chain tensioner? im guessin it cant be the rod with a whole year of work and regular sustained trips near redline (that new found topend keeps me up there, kinda feels like a two stroke).

On a side not i have no idea what kind of engine work has been done to my fourwheeler, not too much im guessing because im running like a 148 (145 is stock) main jet and its barely rich to combat the fact that it runs hot ie. black exhaust pipe on inside and plugs last about half a year. (i live at sea level with 100% humidity or so).

P.S. its not the valves, they go clack clack and evertime they start I readjust them.

Old 09-23-2002, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well well well, after all my riding yesterday it fouled my plug, then i went to crank it today and it idles like crap and smokes. I was thinking it went rich on me so i cut some of the air box lid off *wanted to anyways [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]* but that didnt help, stayed the same. Im thinking the valve timing moved some more and got to a bad spot. It runs right and quits smoking in higher rpms but it has no torque and idles like crap.