Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Holes in Airbox for Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2000, 02:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quaders,
I just bought a 99 banshee (wooo hooo) and have a basic knowledge of mods that should first be done. I do have a question on holes for the airbox. MY main riding area is the dunes, so I wont be worried about the water and junk, but I do have a question regarding placement of holes. Should I cut holes all the way through the top, or just the area under the intake "tunnel". Does this make sense. I figured that by keeping the top solid, but cutting holes in the lower portion of the tunnel, i would effectively "pressureize" the airbox. Is this real. Please advise. And if you have other hints please let me know!!

Thanks,

RoostKing...

Old 03-27-2000, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Altho I don't ride a Banshee, I do ride a Warrior and one thing they both have in common is a pitiful airbox/filter system. My suggestion would be to get a Pro Design air box adaptor & either a K & N filter or the Proflow, if you prefer foam. Then why not just get a vented lid from Moto Force or if you're only riding in the dunes, just take the lid off & rejet big time to allow for the increased air flow?

Old 03-27-2000, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would also get the pro design air filter adapter the stock one doesnt seal the best. also ridin in the sand the sand will pass through the stock air filter boot

Old 03-28-2000, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

RoostKing, I have been experimenting on my '98 Banshee and finally have the right set-up. I also ride mainly in dunes and tried the open airbox with the ProDesign Pro Flo and K&N filter. Without the lid, the filter quickly gets dirty and affects my performance. I now have the lid back on with 8 of the 1" Uni filters... through the first layer only. This keeps the water away from the filter, even at the car wash.
I would not go back to the open box. With the lid on and correct jetting, it runs just as good, if not better, than when the lid was off.

pairof98s: '98 Banshee, '98 Sport 400

Old 03-28-2000, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

The best set up for the dunes is what I have. Prodesign adapter and K&N with outerware. No air box lid. For FMF pipes 30 pilot jets. For Toomeys 32 pilot jets. 300 mains for both toomey and FMF. New needles from Alba Yamaha on the 3rd/4th notch. I don't have problems with my K&N loading up with the outerware on it. I rode my Banshee 3 weeks ago in the dunes when it was pouring rain and didn't have any rain get anywhere near my filter. Don't get a foam filter if you ride in the sand.... they get totally loaded with sand. Anyone that wants to say other wise go for it but I have experience with the dunes and Banshee's and what works. Would you want to clean all those little filter hole things or just clean one filter? Too much work and they don't flow as good as the unlided box.

Old 03-28-2000, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer

if you go with toomey pipes, get their 2 into 1 foam filter with an outer wear... it eliminates the whole box completly. you do have to cut the back of the box off though to accommodate the coolant resovoir. or you can buy a coolant relocater bracket.(i just cut my stock air box.) Email with any questions.

Travsbanshee
99banshee

Old 03-28-2000, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

Hey RK I thought you where going to get the DS 650? what made you change your mind if you don't mind me asking?

87 Banshee
99 banshee

Old 03-29-2000, 11:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

SaMsOn,
I did entertain thoughts of buying the awesome DS, but i did not want to sell all of my stock just yet, so I went with a 99 Banshee for a pretty good price of $4800. I did sit on a DS at the dealership the other day and man, that bike looks good! IT appears to be over-engineered in many places, which gives it the added wieght, but also appears that it will last for quite some time. Plus with all he supposed sport quads coming out for the 2001 season, I figured I'd just wait for another year and see what happens! Now SaMsOn, I know we have traded barbs regarding the DS vs. Banshee, but now that I have seen the light, please feel free to help me out anyway you can, using your vast knowledge of the legendary Banshee!!!

LAter guys,

RoostKing...

Old 03-29-2000, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

RK I don't ever recall trading barbs with you about the DS 650. I have always thought the DS 650 was one awsome quad, and still do.

Now about the Banshee. Two things you will probably want to do is, and one was on mentioned above was, to get rid of the stock air filter and replace it with a Pro Design adapter.

The second thing you should do is take off the TORS, and place them on a hard surface like a concrete floor. Once this is done, go find a sledge hammer and begin to pound the TORS with great vigor. The TORS have a habit of unthreading and allowing dirt or sand to pass through and into the carbs. This very thing happened to my 87 Banshee before I owned it.

I got rid of my TORS on my 99 as soon as possible and replaced them with regular carb caps, along with a motion pro twist throttle.

87 Banshee
99 Banshee