Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Top end rebuild Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 11:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the final stages of a frame-up rebuild on a 98 Timberwolf. I had the cylinder bored .20 over and installed a Weisco piston. I installed new valve seals and had the valve seats cleaned up. I got everything put together and she started right up, however after a short test drive I noticed that this thing is really blowing smoke. The smoke is blue and gets worse under acceleration. The bike also stutters around ¼ throttle but seems to pull OK after the revs catch up. I did install a K&N filter and the spark arrestor has been removed so I may be a little lean. I intend to play with the needle clip in the carb as it idles fine and seems OK on the top end.

My main concern is the smoke. At first I figured the rings were not seated yet, but it does not seem to be getting any better. I only have about 5-10 minutes run time on the motor so far but it is blowing smoke and oil out the exhaust so I don’t want to push it.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Timberwolf

Old 09-30-2002, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Blue smoke means burning oil. So you'll probably be pulling the top end apart again to find out the cause of the smoke. Could be anything from bad valve rebuild to bad bore job to a wrist pin that came out.

Short story...
My buddy once even had a cylinder bored out. The shop who bored and honed the cylinder didn't clean up the ports. My buddy put the top end back together, and the ring caught the port edge and scored the cylinder wall. Shop told him later that he should have cleaned up the port before putting it back together.

Old 10-01-2002, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

u have to let the rings seat. my warrior smoked the first couple of rides pretty bad until they seated. sumtimes they nver will and its a reall pain when u gotta make them seat. the valves have to seat 2 ride it a little see if it clears up. somtimes u have to just put time on them.

Ryan

---------------------
88 Warrior
Pro Circuit T-4
K&N Filter WithOut Airbox
DP Racing Brake Pads
DG Alloy series nerfs
Duro Rears
Fresh Rebuild
Plastics Redone

99 Blaster
FMF Gold Series Fatty Pipe