Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need aftermarket shock help, for a freind.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy wants to get new shocks for his Rap and is trying to keep from buying them with rezzies.

He's looking at the Elkas (which I own and love) and wants to know what the benefits of having rezzies are.

I explained to him that the rezzies would help keep the shock cooler, resulting in better performance.
I also explained that with the rezzies the shocks would last ALOT longer.

Would a few of you chime in and give your veiws on this topic?

Thanks

Old 10-04-2002, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Yes you are correct on that.

he would have better result with rezzies then not having it. If he decide not to have the rezzies then he would run into having the shocks a little trouble if the oil get too hot and it would start to pogo when going over the whoops section when traveling fast condition.

For a little extra money I go with the rezzie for a peace of mind. Also he won't reget if he go with it. If not then he will shoot himself in the foot.

Old 10-04-2002, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

Buying aftermarket shocks without rezzies is like polishing a terd. And the rezzies are very important when it comes to keeping the high dollar shocks cool. If your going to spend some bucks on aftermarket shocks , get the insurance policy also (rezzies). JMO!

Old 10-04-2002, 05:34 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry.....Long winded......but here are the answers to your questions and more......

1- Are all the shocks you sell rebuildable?
'''''Yes, Works, Custom Axis, and Ohlins shocks are all 100% fully rebuildable.

2- Are all the shocks custom made for my weight, application, riding style, etc?
'''''Yes and no. All Works shocks we offer are custom assembled to Shoc Connection or Works specs. (Varies from model to model) All Custom Axis shocks are custom assembled. Ohlin's shocks are not custom assembled for you, rather they are made and assembled in Europe then shipped to the United States for distribution.

3- Are all the shocks you offer gas charged?
'''''Yes, all the ATV shocks we offer are either gas/oil emulsion design or gas/iol with remote or piggyback reservoirs. Gas charged shocks offer much better compression and rebound than non-gas charged shocks.

4- Are shocks made to fit just my quad or are they "generic"?
'''''All the shocks we offer are made specifically to fit just your make and model quad frame.

5- If I purchase shocks now for my standard A-Arms and later purchase +2" design arms, can I still use the same shocks?
'''''The shocks are still the proper length and stroke so will fit just fine, however the +2" change in wheel leverage will require that your shocks be "re-valved and re-sprung" to match your new arms.

6- What is the benefit to having a dual rate sprind system on the front shocks you offer?
''''' The shocks that come stock on your quad have a single rate spring. This means that the force required to compress your shocks is the same at the beginning of the wheel travel and at the end of the wheel travel. So if you increase the preload of your stock shocks to stop them from bottoming out they ride harsher but still bottom out just as easily because the spring rate is the same all the way through the stroke.

'''''The dual rate spring design allows the shock to have 2 distinct spring rates on the same shock! Dual rate springs allow the rider to have a plush ride for the small bumps but still have a stiffer spring rate for the big dips and jumps to prevent any bottoming out. For example a dual rate banshee for an average rider would begin at a spring rate of 147# per inch for the first half of the shock stroke and then "crosses over" to a 210# per inch spring rate for the second half of the shock stroke, which calculates to a 45% stiffer rate change or simply stated: the shocks are 45% more difficult to bottom out at the bottom half of the wheel travel.

7- I see you offer a triple rate spring system on some models- what's the difference between dual and triple rate systems?
''''' Going back to the dual rate Banchsee with rates of 147/210#, we can compare this to the triple rate system which has rates of 133/171/260#. This means that the triple rate is 10% plusher for the first third of the wheel travel, and still over 20% stiffer than the dual rate for the last third of the wheel travel. Actuall, if the triple rate starts out with a 133# per inch rate and finishes with a 260# per inch rate it has almost a 100% stiffer rate from beginning to end vs. the 45% dual rate change. This means that it will be super plush on the top part of wheel travel and even more resistant to bottoming out on the bottom bit of wheel travel. Simply stated, the triple rates usually work better than the dual rates.

8- What is the difference between non reservoir design shocks and reservoir design?
''''' The shock is exactly the same valving, travel, spring set, etc. The only difference is the non reservoir (non rezzy) design has the oild and gas mixed together and the reservoir design (rezzy) keeps the oil and gas totally separate.

'''''The second purpose of the rezzys is to give the heat in the shock a "radiator" location to dissipate faster. This causes the shocks to run at a lower temperature and the oil will last longer and require less rebuilds than the non rezzy design.

'''''The third purpose is for slightly more oil capacity for additional heat absorption/radiation,

9- Ok, so what is the purpose of reservoirs?
''''' The first purpose is to separate the oil and gas. A gas/oil emulsion shock operates with the oil mixed with thousands of tiny nitrogen gas bubbles floating about. So your valving piston has oil with "compressable" bubbles running through it and the reservoir design has undisturbed oil running through it. This leads to more consistent damping action especially for long MX or XC racing.

''''' The second purpose of the rezzys is to give the heat in the shock a "radiator" location to dissipate faster. This helps the shocks run at a lower temperature and the oil will last longer and require less rebuilds than non-rezzy design.

''''' The third purpose is for slightly more oil capacity for additional heat absorption/radiation.

10- But I just trail ride and race occasionally- Do I really need reservoirs?
''''' I highly reccomend reservoirs for the very serious recreational riders and racers. The reservoirs are by no means mandatory for high performance, rather they are definitely worth the money if you can swing it. For the very hard core MX or XC racers, they are indeed important.

11- If I purchase non reservoir shocks now, can I add reservoirs later?
''''' Absolutely yes! The shocks are identical and reservoirs can be added at any time.

12- Is there any benefit to the piggyback reservoir design vs. the hose mounted remote reservoir design?
''''' The piggyback design may dissiapate a little more heat and the shocks may be slightly more responsive than the hose mounted design, but the difference is very, very small.

13- Do all the shocks you sell offer extended wheel travel?
''''' Almost all the front shocks we sell offer between 1 and 2 more inches of wheel travel with your stock front arms. A few of the rear shocks we sell offer more wheel travel.

14- How often should aftermarket shocks be rebuilt?
''''' Aftermarket shocks are fully rebuildable for a very good reason- the oil wears out from use! It is very important to service your shocks on a regular basis. For the average recreational rider, I would reccommend at least once per year. For the racers, mid-year service would be good while for the national level riders, every 4-6 races is ideal.

15- Can I buy the parts and do it (a rebuild) at home?
''''' Yes, most of the rebuild parts are available and can be installed by "qualified" technicians, but personally I would recommend you send your shocks back to the original manufacturer or authorized service center.

16- If I gain or lose weight, will my "custom" shocks still be right?
''''' Although aftermarket shocks are usually custom assembled for a rider, there is actually a 20-40# range for each set-up.

17- Would you advise using outerwear shock covers on my new shocks?
''''' Outerwears have proven highly effective at improving the longevity of shock shafts and seals.

18- Is there a benefit to using a steering damper on my quad?
''''' A steering damper is extremely helpful in keeping your front end under control and smoothing out the steering inputs. For such a nominal cost, it's well worth it.

19- What kind of warranty comes on Works shocks?
''''' Works shocks come with two warrantys. First, they are warranteed against all manufacturer defects or failure for 90 days from the date of purchase. Works will repair any failure for free and charge and charge shipping back to you. If the shocks are purchased from Shoc Connection, we will pay for the shipping back to you. The second warranty Works gives you is the 30 day "set-up" guarantee. That means you have 30 days after your date of purchase to ride the shocks and be sure you are happy with the spring/damping set up for you. If not, Works will re-valve and re-spring your shocks for free and charge you shipping back to you. If they are purchased from Shoc Connection, the 30 day "set-up" is extended to a 60 day "set-up" period and Shoc Connection pays the shipping back to you.

20- Whats the main difference between Works, Axis, and Ohlins shocks?
''''' All three brands provide your quad with much improved suspension action. They are all designed to offer a smooth ride and still resist bottoming out on bigger hits, so with your eyes closed, the difference may be marginal. The brands vary mostly in manufacturing methods, materials, and coatings which can extend the life of the shocks during use.

''''' Axis shocks feature spherical heim bearings in the top and bottom eye holes with stainless steel bushings that will never wear out. The bodies are coated in a special process that alters the surface finish making them virtually scratch-proof. The springs Axis uses are made by Eibach and are recognized as the highest quality springs available in the world. Axis shocks use chromemoly shafts vs. chromed steel shafts. Basically, Custom Axis has spared no expense when they set out to design their shocks.

Hope this answers all

Old 10-04-2002, 03:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You all forgot the most important thing, the rezzys make them look better.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
There is really nothing else to say now. Everyone is right about the heat and longevity of them. Do they make Elkas without rezzys?

Old 10-04-2002, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah what Mcfly said! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2002, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

McFly

All I can say is WOW!!!! What a story to put on....

Old 10-07-2002, 05:35 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Im not that bored.....

Its called cut and paste.

I have just been through the same process of buying new shocks. Also I had the same questions and this FAQ was really helpfull for me.

<< Do they make Elkas without rezzys? >>

Yes they do!!

Old 10-07-2002, 05:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not bored and your on the net at 3:30 am.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

edit: I think I just stuck my foot in my mouth. What time is it there?

Old 10-07-2002, 05:58 AM
Pro Rider

10:50 in the morning.

It really sucks being on the other side of the planet.....No one to talk to, everyones fast asleep.....except you Ward.

Whats up...cant sleep hey!

Every time you close your eyes.....you see an MX track in front of you?

Quick Reply: Need aftermarket shock help, for a freind.