Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Want to do some mods to my 03 Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 05:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 03 Warrior is STOCK down to the filter. I am used to doing work on cars, but quads in a new thing so I dont know where to start. I want to do some bolt on stuff. I heard that a K/N filter, Pipe and Jet kit is a good start. I am not looking to invest more than $1000 if possible. I do lots of trails and my friends have Raptors and Banshees. I can keep up in the woods but they can pull away in the open. I understand I wont be faster, but I would like some more power. What kind of HP does my bike have stock and what can these mods do for me?

Old 10-04-2002, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

There's a pretty big gap between a Warrior and Raptor/Banshee.

A pipe & filter will give you a couple of HP, not a lot. The Warrior has about 18 HP to the rear wheels stock. You may want to replace the stock tires for a decent handling improvement.

To really get some power, you need a big-bore, cam, hi comp piston type of set-up. The Pipe and Filter won't do it.

Old 10-04-2002, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

This isn't horsepower, but I would suggest a skid plate! After my second ride on my '03 Warrior (pretty much all woods) I noticed that the stock swingarm skid was pretty much toast. I did a search on this site and found that most people rave about the PRM skids. I checked some sites and I think they are the best looking for the buck. I have ordered a main body skid and a swing arm skid for my quad. Hopefully they will hold up as good as everyone says.

Old 10-04-2002, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

High end cam and high compression piston will work wonders. If thats not enough they can stroke/bore to around 500ccs.

Only reason filter and pipe are so popular is because anyone can put them on, IMO they arent even worth the bother. Get a filter when urs wears out and get a pipe off ebay or get a cobra.

Stock 18-19, pipe/filter 20-21, cam/piston 30+?

Old 10-04-2002, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Contrary to what everyone else is saying, you can wake up a warrior with some pretty simple mods. Don't bother with a full pipe. Just get a slip on. Which one you get really doesn't matter because they all add just about one or two horsepower to the top end. But the gain in the lower end and mid-range is where it counts. I had a 96 warrior a while back, and a 98 wolverine, so I know that engine pretty well. Get the pro design filter kit (either a high flow foam, or K&N whichever you prefer for your riding conditions). The stock air filter doesn't seal up very well, and the pro flow kit fixes that problem. Keeps the crud out of your carb and motor. If you go with a K&N, run an outerwears pre-filter as well. I think it's worth your while to either run without an airbox lid, or with a modified lid such as the one that Powroll puts out. More flow = more power. Definitely re-jet the carb. Talk to other warrior guys about what jets to start with to get you in the ball park. White brothers makes a "torque stuffer" that goes into your headpipe where it connects to the head of your engine. It is a little venturi nozzle that causes exhaust gasses to flow through alot faster (works like a nozzle in a turbine). And, if you got money left over, you may want to consider porting and a 3 or 5 angle valve job (it's not to spendy). So...here's the run down:

Pipe: $200
ProFlow Kit w/filter: $100
Carb Jets: $10 or so...
Torque Stuffer: $20 (White Brothers sells them)
Powroll Airbox lid: $45 to $50
Porting/Polishing/Valve job: $200-$300 (at local machine shop)
New exhaust gaskets: $10

You do the math... I'd agree with the skidplates. Buy them direct from PRM, you can skip the middle man.

Have FUN!!!!

Old 10-04-2002, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

I'm NOWHERE as experienced as the guys on here (who have all been a wealth of information while I've been trying to make my Warrior a little spunkier), but I have found what Chad400EX says to be the God's honest truth. Even with just four of the seven things listed above to "bolt on", I noticed quite a difference in power from stock. The only other thing I did do for a little more top end was change my front sprocket. That's only for the coast, otherwise I leave the 13 tooth on. There is no way I expect to blow a Raptor away, but the difference in power from stock, without having to spend much money, sure feels good.

My next step will be suspension (Works dual rate springs/shocks and a steering stabilizer).

The stock skid plat has got to go, as mentioned above. I am continually impressed with my PRM.

When I get bored (or a heckofalot richer than I am now), I will more than likely start in on the engine.

It is true that anyone can make these mods...good grief, I'm a girlie person, and I did it, but, fact o' the matter is, that little bit that can be done can sure make it a whole lot more fun to ride than doing nothing at all.

Well, in my unworthy opinon anyway....OK....I'll get back in my box now.

Old 10-04-2002, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Dosent a torque stuffer take from your topend? I dont know but logic says it would. I just bought me a pipe on ebay for 38.00 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] its a used cobra but all it needs is a lil Mothers Aluminum polish. On a side note cobra is a straight through glass pack from what I can tell so it should give maximum horsepower. As for just a few giving a noticable increase in power, yes, anything that give low end is very easy to feel, top end takes a lil more for you to notice. Before I can add all the stuff I want to, I need to figure out what all this darn racket it and fix it, not to mention I need a new clutch. Cant figure out for the life of me what the racket it. Its a dull knocking noise that matches RPMs. No it dosent have a rod knocking, its not the valves...... ill figure it out maybe when its all in peices.

Old 10-05-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with everyone that has posted and let me tell you this when I got my warrior it was totally stock and used. Then i put a K&N filter, Big Gun slip-on pipe, 14T front sproket, and jetted it and those mods really woke this thing up. I'm not saying it's anywhere near the speed or capabilites of the Raptor or Banshee but it's got some pep and the sproket helped out my topend a little. I agree with FatBob on the skidplate thing, first time I took the warrior down a mountain trail with lots of rocks I split the poor skidplate right in half, I took the part that slit off and hung it on a tree[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Also since your going to be doing a lot of trail riding definatly upgrade the suspension, I haven't cuz I just got a snowmobile and can't afford it but believe me the warrior's is ruff, take basically any other sport quad from a friend and get off the warrior and ride it, you'll feel the differnce and theres a lot of that. Do what you can afford

Patrick

Old 10-05-2002, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the advice everyone!

BTW. I bent my rear stock skid plate so it was rubbing the rotor on my first day out! I have a real heavy duty one now and it works just fine. I guess I will get the A-arm ones next.

What is the front sproket on the quad?

What kinds of suspensions are available for a warrior without going expensive?

Old 10-05-2002, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

SmokeyDP81, the front sproket is the sproket mounted on the side of the trans (simply the forward sproket that the chain is on), the bigger the teeth more top end but less bottom, for the rear sproket it's just the opposite. Unless you want to get crappy aftermarket shocks youre going have to spend quite a few bucks, I would say since youre spending the money get the best that you can,

Patrick

Quick Reply: Want to do some mods to my 03 Warrior