Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Hotcams stage 1 install.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 10:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Hotcams stage 1 install.

Are you guys installing this cam with no further engine mods? Wher did you get it and how much? Thanks.

Old 10-14-2002, 11:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You can get them here at the hotcams website or better yet. Bid on one from 14mins on ebay. They've been going for around $120.00 or so there. $139.00 from Hotcam. The stage 1 is made for a stock rappy with stock piston etc. But can be used with high comp piston if you choose to do so. The stage 2 requires new better valve springs. Many have purchased and have seen good results. The jury is still out for me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But will give an opinion when it's appropriate. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2002, 12:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

So far i perfer the hotcams over webs offerings. Not much difference between the 696/697 and the stage 1. The stage 2 revs higher and hits harder than the web 796/797. All 4 cams are good! Pick what you need for your conditions. I like the price and no core swap on the hotcams.

Hotcam vs. megacycle- Still working on that one, at this point i think i am going back to the stage 2 for saturday. There is not much difference for all the bottom end that i lost. Will hit rev limiter a little easier than the stage 2. Think the stage 2 is better at this point(mega cycle 280-14)

Old 10-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Good info 14 ~ thanks for sharing!!

I have been running the stage 1 for about 3 months now and absolutely love the gains (especially with the high comp piston) and performance!!

We too had to machine out the decompression hook up hole, but no probs there!
"TOID"

Old 10-16-2002, 03:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider

We should have some good test this week end at the trailer park. Web vs. Hotcams

Old 10-16-2002, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Hotcam web page says that after installing either the stage 1 or stage 2 cam in the raptor that I should use 95 or higher octane racing fuel even with a stock piston. I ride my raptor in the dunes at 4000-5000 feet in Utah and Idaho and could use a higher compression piston to compensate for the elevation. I do not want to run race fuel because of the cost and we can only get 91 octane at the pump. Is anyone running pump gas in their raptors with a Hotcam, and if so, at what compression rating on the piston and at what elevation.

Old 10-16-2002, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

you can get away with lower octane at higher elevations. I do not know the specifics but If you call some of the race gas companies they may be able to tell you.

Old 10-16-2002, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

I just run super-unleaded (89) or Premium (92) pump gas, I can't tell the difference. Works great. Response is way better, it revs faster, and is a lot faster. I don't think I lost any bottom end. Great cam, I highly reccomend it.

Me and RaptorRCR will do some web vs. hotcams testing, we have almost the same setup.

RaptorRCR- Yoshi full system/carb mount filters/webcam 696-697/lowered

Me- Yoshi full system/stock filter/Hotcams stage 1

We are both about the same weight, also. We'll see what the results were.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here is an email I recieved from Hotcams some time ago when I was just becoming interested in theire cams.

Hi David,

Our cams have only been tested with stock machines. We want to be able to drop the cams in and go with as little effort and hassle as possible. The Raptor Stage 2 cam is the exception to the rule, requiring a spring kit and possible machine work to the top of the center intake valve guide.

You can expect between 10% and 13% gain in midrange performance. The Stage 1 cam works better everywhere but is biased more toward the middle rpm range, 2500-6000 rpm, where most trail riders spend their time. The reason you have spread in power gains is because it depends on how well maintained your engine is. The one thing I would STRONGLY suggest is to make sure the rocker arm wear pads have absolutely no wear. If you can see a line in the rockers' wear pads, get new rocker arms.

As far as fuel goes, 91-93 octane fuel is OK but, we'd like to see you use a little better fuel to get the most out of the cam as possible. Always use a station that sales a lot of fuel to get the freshest fuel possible. And, please, stay away from oxygenated fuels if possible. Don't use fuels with higher than 105 octane levels, unless you're going to a higher compression ratio.

Thank you for considering Hot Cams.

Tony Tice
(515) 402 - 8000 Ext 104

Old 10-25-2002, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

So besides the HotCam (stage 1), what other mods do you guys run? Pipe? Pro-Flow?

I'm thinking about throwing a Stage 1 HotCam in my Raptor, and I already have a CT pipe kit and Pro-Flow filter. I was also thinking about getting a DynoJet stage 2 jet kit. Anyone have any experience with those?

FYI - I run at sea-level and I the highest octane I will have access to is 92.

Quick Reply: Raptor Hotcams stage 1 install.