Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Hotcams stage 1 install.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raptor Hotcams stage 1 install.

Originally posted by: RaptorTuned
Does hotcams have an adjustable cam sproket that comes with it? hows did you know where to adjust it if it does come with one. i have the 01 660 raptor. just wondered if the cams adjustable for it.
NO

Old 02-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got another question. about a cam install and porting.... if i do the cam, 3 32mm intake valves. 3 mm bigger than stock and a port and polish... do i have to re jet my carb???? a guy told me no b.c he said it will sucks more air and fuel in is this true?

Old 02-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

if your going 3mm bigger on the valves you need bigger carbs too. But unless you have a bigger bore and stroke and massive high flow exhaust with huge cam, you wasted your money on bigger valves.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

2 mm bigger than stock. why would i need bigger carbs? louthan engineering is doing my work. they build drag car heads, harley heads and quad heads. theyve got years of experience. they said there would be no need to change carbs... btter flow in doesnt requare a longer stroke. ive put heads on a car before and it mafe a hell of a difference. has anyone done what i am doing and actually had no gains???

Old 02-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

with the 5 valve head and a single piston you cant draw in enough air to take advantade of larger valves. Think of it as increasing the size of your toilet, it can hold more turds and they flush down easy, but your still only gonna have the same butt droping one turd at a time. You can go as big as you want but you wont get any gain from it on a single cylinder stock motor. Spend your money on a good set of stainless valves that are stock size, have a good valve job and mild port and polish done to your head, then throw your cam in there and yo will be very happy. Or just spen big money for larger valves and the head work to go with it and think you are way faster cause of the money you spent. It's not what single performance part you buy thats gonna make you fast, it's matching your performance to work together that will make you fast and reliable.

Remember you are dealing with a single cylinder engine that has been enginered almost to it's full potental. Cars are a different story, they have to meet emmisions guidelines and are choked back from day one plus they are detuned so they will last as long as possible.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Trailblazer

will the 32mm valves even fit if i intall a cam.... as in will the valves hit the piston if my my piston is stock. if i do what you said how much do i increse my jettting?? does prting and a cam require more fuel?