Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

4 hospitalized on first Glamis trip of season :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 hospitalized on first Glamis trip of season :(

Well, our group was about 30 strong. Arived on Thursday for an afternoon ride and then a great full moon night ride and then I rode shotgun in my buddies Funco rail over to Comp with 3 other cars. Good fast run on sand highway (scared me shitless) but was a fun time. I On Friday a guy I did not know wadded up his Banshee and was hauled off to Brawley hospital and held over night with a back injury. Friday night the same group of rails went to comp but I opted for cold beers around the campfire. On the way back from Comp my budy with the Funco crashed on sand highway along the 78 doing about 70mph. The front end dug in and over it went! The rail flipped and landed upside down and backwards then flipped again and again until it finaly landed on its side. Driver and passenger were taken to Brawley hospital and Funco rail towed back to camp. Driver broke his collar bone and passenger blacked out and was bruised up from the violent pounding. The distance from the impact to the final resting point was 100 yards. Roll bars and seat belts held together! back part of the roof and motor intake were crushed as well as the front end. Funco is one well built machine.

3 down, 1 to go.

Sunday morning I was leading a group of 4 others from Gecko over to Olds (into the sun). One of those nasty 12ft drop off's with an uphill landing poped up and I quickly raised my hand to alert the train and off I went. Front end bottomed, almost kissed the handle bars, rear end bottomed out, then I bottomed and compressed. I layed on the ground for 30 minutes. Floundered for another 20 minutes, then rode to Gecko in 1st gear hunched over dying of pain. I made it over to Gecko road and took it down to pad 5 where we were camped.

Off to the hospital I went. Now I am laying in bed with my laptop and a broken back. L1 vertebre compression fracture. This truly SUCKS!! Vicadin and motrin are my new best friends.

So, please be careful out there. I have been waiting for dune season for 6 months and now Im done for a while. The guys in the sand rail are fine now and my 20mph 2nd gear impact hurt me worse. Oh well. Dunes happen and I will be back out there as soon as I can!!

I hope I scared you a little. Don't "F" up. Have fun and be safe.

BlueLeader.

Old 10-22-2002, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Good luck blueleader I'm out with a back injury also but will be back on soon as I'm healed enough. Get well soon!!!

Old 10-22-2002, 05:15 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the slap in the face. I hope you are feeling better soon. I head out for our first dune trip of the season Thursday night. I will definately be taking it a bit more cautious after listening to your story.

Old 10-22-2002, 05:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

GET WELL SOON.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 10-22-2002, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

That sucks!!!! Heal up & get back out there!!!!!

Old 10-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Get well soon bro.

Old 10-22-2002, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

I bet you are pissedoff the good thing is your quad will rest a while and you will certainly be online alot more[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I hope you and the raptor both get well soon

Old 10-22-2002, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

That sucks man! Get well soon

Old 10-22-2002, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

yeah that sucks man ,those dunes got to be pretty hairy at times!

Old 10-22-2002, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

Thats sucks major time Scott!!! I just figured Roost had wormed his way onto the bacardi bus and you didnt wanna call me cuz I 'd find out !!! LOL!! Hope you feel better ASAP!!!

Michael

Quick Reply: 4 hospitalized on first Glamis trip of season :(