Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need Raptor Help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 02:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Raptor Help!!!!!!

Hopefully some of you Raptor gurus can help me out.

One of my racing buddies is running an 01 Raptor. Saturday night at the race his bike started bogging all of a sudden. It idled OK and low end was OK, but as soon as you laid into it, it would bog bad. Like the main jets were way lean or rich. The bike was running fine five minutes earlier, so there's no way the jetting changed that much.

Here's the part that puzzles me. Around the same time the bike starting bogging, the reverse light came on and stayed on.

We have checked every thing that I can think of. We have even swapped out the major electronics from his wifes Raptor and still came up with nothing. We tore the carbs down, cleaned and blew them out. Nothing was abnormal.

Can anybody give me some suggestions on what else to look for??????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-23-2002, 02:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Lets see.....I would make sure the filter was clean, change the plug, check the fuel tank filter. Next, maybe pull the carbs and give the intake boots a small tug too make sure they were'nt ripped. If all else fails, tell him too get his foot off the brake!

Old 10-23-2002, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

Try this see what it does. There is limiter in the system if the Parking brake is on the motor will idle but if you get it over quarter throttle it will just fall flat on it's face. There is to wires plugged into the clutch handle. Try unplugging one and see if that fixes the problem. The other is for the starter to engage while in gear. So have it in gear and if won't turn over plug that wire back in and pull the other. Let me know how it goes for you.

Old 10-23-2002, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

I'll bet $1 that Redblue75 is right! I had the exact same problem, I just adjusted my parking brake on the swing arm and it was fine. BTW, the parking brake is gone now.

Old 10-23-2002, 04:36 PM
Range Rover

The wires at the clutch have been unplugged for quite some time now. The filter, plug, tank filter, and intake boots are fine.

Another tidbit of info he told me...When you hold in the clutch the motor will rev like it is supposed to, when the clutch is out the bike chokes.

Keep the advise coming, we are racing again Saturday night.

Old 10-23-2002, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Are you saying it revs fine with the clutch pulled in but not with it out when the transmission is in neutral?

/NotuRaptor

Old 10-23-2002, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the raptor thinks its in reverse. correct me if I am wrong but didnt think the 2001 has a reverse limiter on it. If it does have one, in theory since the cdi thinks the quad is in reverse it may be limiting the revs. check the cable down on the frame to make sure its not out of its holder and it works properly.

sounds like since you can pull the clutch in and have it rev normally that that is the problem.

My reverse light has been on for a year and I havent figured it out either.

Old 10-24-2002, 10:24 AM
Range Rover

We found the problem last night. It was a broken wire. The wire going to the switch on the top of the transmission right below the front sprocket. The switch controls the reverse and nuetral lights. It was broken inside the shrink tubing. We repaired the wire and it' s running like a champ again. Warrior007 was right on the money, the bike was thinking it was in reverse and wouldn't let the engine rev.

Thanks for all the help guys.....