Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What happens when you do..

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens when you do..

hey you all im asking the super smart mechanics in here.. i juss replaced my piston .. what happens if you dont break the engine in first? because i let it sit to warm up for like.. 5 minutes then i rode it semi hard.. well i geuss kinda hard since i was on the ice.. for about 5 minutes and then bleeeeeeee it juss stopped

Old 10-25-2002, 08:17 PM
Range Rover

Change your plugs. If it doesn't fire then you smoked it by not allowing the rings to properly seat by pooching it around like you were suppose to in the break in period. Did you make your fuel mixture stronger with oil?

Old 10-25-2002, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

did i do what with the oil??

Old 10-25-2002, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

o prolly smoked it because i didnt have a break in period... lol i forgot to do it / didnt know what to do... so i am prolly gonna be replacing my piston again this weekend.. what some things that i need to amke shure i do?

Old 10-25-2002, 08:28 PM
Range Rover

After replacing your pistons or rings you should make your oil to gas mixture stronger for at least the first tank of gas. When reinstalling the cylinders over the pistons smear a very light coat of two stroke oil on the cylinder walls to help the rings initially seat when you first fire it up. Be sure that your jetting did not increase due to a cylinder bore job or a better breathing air filter. Pooch it for at least one tank of gas but two for good measure. I know this is about four and a half hours of poking around on a screamer but you will save yourself some headaches.

Old 10-25-2002, 08:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Did you use the old rist pin clip,,,or did you install a new one?

Old 10-25-2002, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

uhh well all i replaced was my piston and my piston rings ..and blasters are oil injected so i dont mix fuel... so your saying that once its up and running again.. i haev to kinda juss putt around for 2 gas tanks??can i juss let it run or do i actulyl have to putt around? wuts pooching?

Old 10-25-2002, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

ooo **** my bad i forget to tell you what i was working on!!! sorry sorry!!!! its an 01 blaster.. does that change anything?

Old 10-25-2002, 09:24 PM
Range Rover

On second thought dude. If I were you I would just take it to the Yamaha dealer. You have to be at the third grade reading level to even begin to rebuild the top end of a blaster. I don't think you are quite there yet. I don't mean to offend, but christ sakes, proofread your posts man!

Old 10-25-2002, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

haha. Sorry there. I can read just fine and I know what I am doing. Im trying to type really fast, so I dont really care what it looks like. Sorry if this offended you. I do not have the money to take it to the Yamaha Dealer. I can do everything you guys tell me today. My dad is a super mechanic but doesnt know a whole lot about 2 stroke engines. Thats why I am asking all of the qeustions. Thanks for you help though any advice would be great.

Quick Reply: What happens when you do..