Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How good is the Grizzly 660 plastic skid plate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good is the Grizzly 660 plastic skid plate?

I'm thinking about buying a Grizzly 660 and was wondering how good the plastic skid plate was? Is it very thick, and how well do you trust it? Will it really protect the undercarriage? The plastic skid plates that came on my Raptor were junk. They were very thin, and I wouldn't trust them at all. Any replies would be appreciated; I might buy a Grizzly tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2002, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

they are about 3/16" or 1/4" thick. they work fine. they do there job at keeping stuff away from the engine and cv joints. i have not heard anyone complain about them, myslef included.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:24 PM
Range Rover

If they are anything like the raptors get rid of em'

I heard the horror story of some bike mag doing a buildup of a raptor, and on their first outing they hit a rock, cut through the plastic skid plate and took a chunk out of the caseing....so for no more than they cost, a metal skid plate should be one of your first upgrades [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

just my opinion

Old 10-30-2002, 06:04 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

If they are anything like the raptors get rid of em'

I heard the horror story of some bike mag doing a buildup of a raptor, and on their first outing they hit a rock, cut through the plastic skid plate and took a chunk out of the caseing....so for no more than they cost, a metal skid plate should be one of your first upgrades

just my opinion
I'll second that!!!

bent my brake rotor 1st time out,,,,and dont remember hitting anything.

Old 10-31-2002, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

The grizzly stock skid plates are pretty good. I recommend replacing the stock front A-Arm gaurds, I also replaced my skid plates w/ a full body Armadillo skid plate. It's a hard type of solid plastic. My stock one held up great it just took too many hard hits!

Glenn

Old 10-31-2002, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I just bought a new Grizzly yesterday, and had it out for it's first 3.8 hours today, what a great machine. I bought a 2003 Limited Edition Grizzly 660, Titanium in color. I love this thing. gjeff80, where did you get your Armadillo skid plate? I would like to find out more about them. Yamaha doesn't make an aftermarket full skid plate for the Grizzly, just front and back, and A-Arms. Does anyone know if the Grizzly front and rear fenders are one-piece units? Meaning, that both left and right rear fenders are one piece, and both left and right front fenders are one piece? I would like to know, as the dealer is replacing my front and rear right side fenders because they got scratched on the sides during shipping. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2002, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

yes the left and right sides are the same piece on both the front and back. bummer about the plastic being scratched already. that's why i didn't get last years silver grizz because it's just painted plastic. i already have a lot of small rub marks on my green grizz, i can't imagine what a painted plastic one would look like.

Old 11-01-2002, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

http://www.atvtires.com/ARMORDILLO%2...SKIDPLATES.htm

Old 11-01-2002, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Just to let you know, i have two griz.....beige and silver (painted LE). The beige one shows alot of small swirl type of scratches that the silver doesnt. BUT, the silver will show a deep hard scratch like that of dragging inbetween two trees! It takes quite a bit to scratch that silver paint off. I have only a couple of scratches in mine and they are right on the outer edge of the fender.

Now about those skidd's.......i have beat the hell out of MY beige griz and the skids have held up great. I have a small crack in the front A-arm guard and that's it. I will someday replace the skids on the bike, but not until needed. I know first hand that they hold up, just from the riding that i do. (at least on my bike! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Jonathan

Old 11-01-2002, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider

The downfall that I saw on my Grizz skid's were, If you went in water or mud above the skids, the skids would hold everything. They were like a shovel and hold the mud and water. It was a pain to get it out. Other skids have holes to let the mud and water fall out, on the Grizz it didn't do that. Also they don't hold up very good if you ride a lot of rocky area's like were I live in the Granite State.

Quick Reply: How good is the Grizzly 660 plastic skid plate?