Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Long Travel Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 01:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Travel Suspension

I am looking to upgrade the suspension on my son's Banshee as well as my own. The front end of the Banshee is rather harsh, and really needs some serious attention. Since my son is the one who needs it the most, he'll be the lucky one to get the first up-grade.

I have looked at several companies, some of which offer "long travel" a-arms and shocks. I know that the long travel shock is about 19" long and the standard length shock is about 16" long.

What is different on the a-arms that make them long travel? I'm aware of some a-arms having something other than ball joints for reduced binding for the long travel set-ups (such as Laeger's Pro-Trax).

What I am having trouble finding out is whether the long travel front shocks can be installed on typical aftermarket a-arms (such as Ricky Stators or Eyeball Engineering or other similar a-arms).

The a-arm packages that get my attention are the Roll Design Lobo II, and the Gibson Long Travel (as seen on East Coast ATV's web site), and the Laeger Pro-Trax. However, since I've got two Banshee's to upgrade, money becomes an issue.

I want to go at least 1 in forward and at least 2 inches wide (per side). The rear swing arm lenght will eventually get shortened by 1" minimum to a maximum of -3" for flattrack/TT racing.

Can anyone offer me some advice and insight regarding the a-arms you chose, and why you chose them?

The one thing I do want to avoid are the heim joints at the outer end of the a-arms. I would also prefer to avoid them even on the inner end, but have not ruled these out definitively. Reason being is the type of riding we do.

Regards,

Rog

Old 11-01-2002, 02:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't really have alot to help you but the Roll LOBOII is probably going to be as high as the Pro Trax.

Why do you want long travel for TT?

Old 11-01-2002, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

This just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

You mention you are going to be racing some flat track. How serious will this be and what other types of racing will these quads see? I ask becuase unless you are planning to race MX and be very serious about it, the long travel is probably a waist of money. Not only does the set-up cost alot more, but it also weighs alot more too. Something to think about.....

Now, you cannot use long travel shocks on regular a-arms, no way! The long travel arms are set up specifically for the longer shocks, thus either the swoop look of the Roll arms or the bend out with the Gibson arms. So by just using wider regular a-arms, you still cannot or do not want to use the long travel suspension.

I personally think you will find that by just widening it out and using a good quality aftermarket shock, you will notice a "night and day" difference. The stock boingers on the Shee are terrible to start with!!

The arms you also speak of with "reduced binding" are typically going to be using heims. Heims are not a bad thing in my opinion. It's more of an opinion though, so you have to do what your comfortable with.

Hope this helps some,

Swy

Old 11-01-2002, 03:16 AM
Trailblazer

Ward660R, Swytak,

I don't necessarily want long travel for TT racing. In fact, it could be un-wanted if it causes to much suspension lift coming out of corners. I just like the idea of having a plush suspension set-up.

What I am really wanting, but may be asking for too much, is a suspension setup that would work well in all the types of riding we do and racing my son does.

We have only raced MX once, and that was on the Blaster we just sold. The majority of our racing will/would be TT and Flattrack. We have just completed the outdoor Flattrack/TT racing here in our part of the country. My son did quite well for an amateur in the Blaster class. He even raced a Raptor a couple of times in the Open Amateur class. However, an occasional MX race wouldn't be out of question. What may very well wind up happening is setting one machine up for MX, and the other for TT/Flattrack. If possible, though, and ideally, the setup needs to be broad based, since we do a lot of recreational riding as well.

A typical MX type setup would work real well in our recreational riding. Even, perhaps, a cross-country setup would work good.

However, I doubt that MX will ever be a real serious endeavor. Flattrack/TT racing is what my son prefers to do, plus he's got some potential in this area.

What I think I will do is just go with aftermarket a-arms and the 16" shocks that best fit our application.

Regards,

Rog

Old 11-01-2002, 03:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That seems like the best idea to me. I think you could do that and runa anti-sway bar up front and be ok for TT. The swingarm length would be more of a worry to me, to short isn't fun for rec riding.

Old 11-01-2002, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

RC350,

I currently am running the long travel set up from houser. It is alot cheaper than the lobo or the laeger's! I love the plush ride and the long travel capabilities. It is only a couple hundred more if you go with a company like houser over any other quality regular travel a arms and shocks. Like sywtak said you will add weight with this set up but the ride it worth it IMHO that is why my motor isnt stock to make up for the weight.

Old 11-01-2002, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

Alljuice,

I had already looked at Houser, but their web site doesn't show a-arms for the Banshee. Perhaps I'll have to call them. I do like their a-arms as good as any out there.

How much added weight are we talking about?

Thanks.

Rog