Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How hard / easy is it to install a cam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard / easy is it to install a cam?

Welcome Tony! My engine builder "Mark Robertson" said you guys had a nice conversation and that you were still doing R&D on your cams with more variations to come.

Old 11-05-2002, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Tony...I'm another one who had a problem with the decompression pin. Mine fit in the hole perfectly..and I rotated it around a few times to make sure it was working properly. After I ran the motor for about 20 minutes, I pulled the valve cover off to find that my decompression pin had been chewed up. The only thing I can guess happened is the pin pushed out of the hole too far and hit the rocker arm. It's not a big deal really, Im running fine without it..but I thought Id let you know. If you have any questions just PM me. Btw..I really like the cam..it works great!

Old 11-05-2002, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Nice information, Bartlett Racing, mind if I add a few things?

I actually believe the flywheel nut is 19mm, and when you line it up, make sure to use the mark that looks like an "H". there is more than one mark. The bolts that hold the valve cover on are 5mm hex, a hex socket is the best thing I ever bought. MAKE SURE to remove the 2 hex bolts inside the intake valve cover, I forgot them, and broke my head cover. The cam lube as he said, is the same thing as assembly lube, and if you have 2 people, it is a whole lot easier. I just did this procedure, and I never took the cam chain off the gear. We just took the bolts out, and had one person hold the gear, while the other person put in the new cam. It was easy. Yamabond is the same thing as hi-temp gasket maker, I get it at Auto Zone. With the new cam, valve specs are .008 intake, and .010 exhaust. Before you put the gasket-maker on, scrape off the old with a razor.

P.S: the Raptor has a decompression mechanism in the stock cam, that consists of a rod-thingy in the end of the cam, and a spring and plunger set into a hole near the front of the stock cam. Take them out, and reinstall them into the new cam. They MAY NOT fit, mine didn't, it is ok to leave them out, mine has been out for a while. Some people drill out the holes to fit, that's up to you.

Old 11-05-2002, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Adam, some good information. There is one thing though. The "H" mark you talk about is for checking the ignition timing. The mark to find TDC is the " l " mark. Be sure that you are on compression stroke too. To check this rotate the engine until you get on the correct mark and there should be some clearance between the rocker arm adjusting screws, if not then it is 180 degrees out and you need to rotate the engine until the mark comes around again. At this point you should have clearance between the rocker arm adjusting screws and you are at TDC.

Old 11-05-2002, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

It's not too bad.

If you want to see the innerds of a Raptor engine..........take a look at my "Mod Photos" page and click on Trinity.

GregV

On a side note.............I live about a 1/2 hour from you if you get yourself in a bind.

Old 11-05-2002, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

I may only be 14 but i have done all my own mods and work(except bead breaking) and when i put a new cam in my 87 mojave it was challanging and it took me like all day but i rebuilt the whole motor i think its more challanging than most engine componets excet gears i am not good with[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2002, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Here are pictures of the process.

Click Here and Enjoy

Just be sure to drain your anti-freeze first. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2002, 10:14 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: GregV
Here are pictures of the process.

Click Here and Enjoy

Just be sure to drain your anti-freeze first. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Thanks for the pics. I'll see how things go here. I found a good deall on a +2 swingarm. If that falls through, I'll prolly get the cam/piston upgrade sooner than later [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]